Sponsored

Mounting hi-lift jack on the hood vs truck bed

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
So, I got a hi-lift jack and the doo-dads to mount on the hood. I was wondering if that would cause a lot of noise in the wind etc while driving in the highways or is that ok? Anyone have experience?

Alternately, I can mount it on the molle system I have along side the bed from BuiltRight as well. Maybe mount it on the hood, try it out for a few days and then decide?
Sponsored

Rwpoling95

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Wrangler Unlimited 20 Gladiator LE
So, I got a hi-lift jack and the doo-dads to mount on the hood. I was wondering if that would cause a lot of noise in the wind etc while driving in the highways or is that ok? Anyone have experience?

Alternately, I can mount it on the molle system I have along side the bed from BuiltRight as well. Maybe mount it on the hood, try it out for a few days and then decide?
I have been wondering the same thing. Picked up a 5’ Hi-Lift black jack and hood mounting kit, but have yet to install for same reasons.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
You should mount it on the garage wall where you’ll be safe :CWL:

Not sure why anyone wants to tote those things around as there’s no “cool factor” and they’re just dead weight

Alaska-HWY JK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon LJ 2007 JKU 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
For the occasional time it gets used for jacking out a fence post I wouldn’t mount it anywhere.

OP
OP
SleepyJeep

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL I know I am just going to mount it and see how it looks. I doubt I would ever remove it and use it hahaha. I just like the rugged look of it, I know I know it is poser-ish I guess...

Actually, I saw the ARB hydraulic jack and I would use that looks a lot easier but also $$. I am going to buy that one for sure down the line...

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
My brother was going to give me his high lift to put on my side JCR panel molle racks. It was free, so, I really considered it for a while, but, instead I spent serious money and bought some max trax for the front of the bed... So, that tells you what I think of the high lift. A decent, very heavy, solution in the old days, but, for me, not today.

OP
OP
SleepyJeep

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My brother was going to give me his high lift to put on my side JCR panel molle racks. It was free, so, I really considered it for a while, but, instead I spent serious money and bought some max trax for the front of the bed... So, that tells you what I think of the high lift. A decent, very heavy, solution in the old days, but, for me, not today.
Yeah I know it is heavy and somewhat cumbersome to use. If I had seen the ARB hydraulic Jack before I would not have purchased the HiLift, but now I have it and it goes on the truck :rock:.... Maybe I will move it to the back later if it feels to weighted in the front to balance out...

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yeah I know it is heavy and somewhat cumbersome to use. If I had seen the ARB hydraulic Jack before I would not have purchased the HiLift, but now I have it and it goes on the truck :rock:.... Maybe I will move it to the back later if it feels to weighted in the front to balance out...
That's cool. I actually like them, but, I do not like using them. Note: The JCR side molle panels for the Gladiator come with the high lift jack mounts, so, if you invest in JCR side molle panels for the bed, you will get the mounts for the high lift already included in the price.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Wow, just checked out the ARB hydraulic Jack; serious money there! But then I watched a video where it was compared to the hi-lift (which I've never used before) and I can see how I'd rather have the ARB if I was wheeling alone. It would be easy enough to use in the garage too.

I can just imagine being already pissed off with a flat on a wet, muddy and uneven trail and having to fiddle with a finicky hi-lift; I think I'd be cursing myself for not spending the money on the ARB Jack. Having the hi-lift knock my teeth out or drop my rig would be more painful than spending $800.

Great, another expensive tool I want but didn't know was available! :LOL:

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Wow, just checked out the ARB hydraulic Jack; serious money there! But then I watched a video where it was compared to the hi-lift (which I've never used before) and I can see how I'd rather have the ARB if I was wheeling alone. It would be easy enough to use in the garage too.

I can just imagine being already pissed off with a flat on a wet, muddy and uneven trail and having to fiddle with a finicky hi-lift; I think I'd be cursing myself for not spending the money on the ARB Jack. Having the hi-lift knock my teeth out or drop my rig would be more painful than spending $800.

Great, another expensive tool I want but didn't know was available! :LOL:
Personally, I think the Max Trax or equivalent (new cheaper options available now) is much easier and safer on a steep hill. Since, you already have the high lift, you can just add one of these traction aids and you are good to go. Even if you spend big money on the ARB, it will not be as flexible as having both your high lift and the traction aid. For example, you can use the high lift jack as a make shift winch and the other as a traction aid during the same predicament.
Note: I still may add my brothers high lift to my JCR panels even with the Maxtrax. I am debating it. The weight is the main thing holding me back.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
SleepyJeep

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's cool. I actually like them, but, I do not like using them. Note: The JCR side molle panels for the Gladiator come with the high lift jack mounts, so, if you invest in JCR side molle panels for the bed, you will get the mounts for the high lift already included in the price.
I actually bought the molle panels from BuiltRight from this forum - they function the same way... I can mount them in the back fo sho.

DirtyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I am pretty sure 90% of the guys rolling around with a high lift mounted to their Jeep actually have NO idea how to safely use it. And when they do it probably wont work because they haven't maintained it. I had one years ago when I was wheeling a FS Bronco and it got used once.... as said above, you are better off just buying some traction panels and/or spend a little and get a winch.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
For the OP... my Jeep buddy recently had to replace his hi lift jack... it was mounted on his hood... after 6 months, he tried using it when he needed it (flat tire) and it was rusted through... if it was up to me and I had the MOLLE bed panels... I’d keep it there.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Those things weigh what, 40 pounds? I have had one since about 1980.
They are and were originally farm jacks.
I guess they stopped selling them to farmers, renamed and sold as 4x4 jacks. It's interesting to see that they are called "hi-lift" jacks instead of handyman jacks like they were when I got this one. I think this one was about 20 - 30 years old when it was given to me.

You could buy them at Tractor Supply, Central Tractor and other places since before many here were born.
They had a "cam" piece on them to allow them to be used for stretching barbed wire fence wire when stringing a fence or repairing a fence.
You'd run the wire in the cam and the jack would be used horizontally to pull the wire.

They are strong enough to lift small tractors.
I would think it would take decades for these to rust "through" - mine was OLD when I got it in 1980 - it had been used on a farm for decades. Have to keep the pins oiled up or they stick otherwise I can lift almost anything with it and have used it to pull buried posts and small trees out of the ground.
Mine would bend the hood if you laid it on the hood. No way this would rust through and it hasn't in the 40 years I've had it.

jack.jpg

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
If you have a system to mount it in the bed, there is no reason to mount it on the hood, other than to try to imitate others who are trying to look cool. It being on the hood (or behind the front fender) is a great way to damage the body panels of your Jeep.
Sponsored