Sponsored

MPG at 3K RPMs in 6th vs 8th gear

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
quick question: would MPGs be any different with 5.38 gears at 80MPH and 3K RPMs in 8th vs 4.10 gears at 80 MPH and 3K RPMs in 6th gear?
Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
With the V8 you should be able to hold 7th and 8th with 4:10s, with 37s and below. If you can't, you transmission tune has not been setup to use your new found torque.

As for the fuel savings it really depends on which one teiggers the acceleration enrichment the most how much it uses. Generally lower RPM is better.

OP
OP
shrinkhead

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
With the V8 you should be able to hold 7th and 8th with 4:10s, with 37s and below. If you can't, you transmission tune has not been setup to use your new found torque.

As for the fuel savings it really depends on which one teiggers the acceleration enrichment the most how much it uses. Generally lower RPM is better.
oh that’s not an issue at all. I can hold 80 in 8th with the 4.10s going uphill no problem at all. I was just curious if there would be a difference. I don’t really want to regear as I sometimes go very close to the speed limit (of the tires) which puts me around 3K in 8th with the 4.10s and 38s

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
In theory the 4.10 in 6th combo should net better cruise economy due to 6th gear being 1:1 and everything from the trans tailshaft to the differential pinion gear spinning slower.

The 5.38 combo should net better short trip in town economy?
Sponsored