MPG with top off--Big difference?

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
First off, I'm not really complaining, and I didn't buy my Gladiator expecting good mpg, but I'm just curious if anyone else notices a huge difference in highway mpg with the top on vs the top off or the freedom panels out (hard top). If I do 70 mph, with the top on, I can get the EPA's 22 mpg hwy. Even with my heavy E load 33.5" tires. With the top off, or freedom panels out, it drops a lot. Like 3-4 mpg. I wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining it so I checked my MPG driving back from the beach on Sunday. I got 16 mpg driving back with the top off and the cruise on 75. In the drive with the top on, its normally right at 20 mpg.

I understand aerodynamics, and I get it, but its a pretty big difference and I've never seen anyone else comment on it. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this as I've never seen it mentioned on here before.
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
It's a rolling brick, take off any part of the top or the doors, and everything in the cab becomes like a drag car chute. It catches ALL the air.

OP
OP
NC_Overland

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
It's a rolling brick, take off any part of the top or the doors, and everything in the cab becomes like a drag car chute. It catches ALL the air.
True, and it makes sense, but I just wasn't expecting to get 15-16 mpg on the interstate in my basically stock Overland whenever I take the top or roof panels out.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
True, and it makes sense, but I just wasn't expecting to get 15-16 mpg on the interstate in my basically stock Overland whenever I take the top or roof panels out.

Do you have a bed cover? If so, take it off, open it all the way up and watch your MPG drop.

Same thing applies to the cab. You open it up and the wind is hitting upright, flat objects.

OP
OP
NC_Overland

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Do you have a bed cover? If so, take it off, open it all the way up and watch your MPG drop.

Same thing applies to the cab. You open it up and the wind is hitting upright, flat objects.
Yes, but I can’t really tell a difference with it open or closed.

That’s with the freedom panels only, in case anyone is curious. It works great.

Jeep Gladiator MPG with top off--Big difference? D6A70E53-ED14-4146-870A-4E25E91E1A26

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
We buy a rolling brick, we put oversize tires on, we take off tops, doors, we aren't really concerned with MPG in the first place.

Enjoy the Jeep and don't sweat the petty stuff.

OP
OP
NC_Overland

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Not losing any sleep over it, and not really mad about it, just curious if anyone else had noticed the same thing. Especially, since I don't recall seeing it mentioned in an MPG thread. It makes way more of a difference than bigger/heavier tires in my experiences.

GrubbyBaja

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 6-speed
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Big difference, especially at 70 mph. It's only 1-2 mpg at 55. The drivin' naked smile is worth the mpg decline. My stock JTR never gets the listed 23 anyways (I have the manual trans.)

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
The worst mileage on the hwy is obtained with the soft top folded back, all the windows down, and the rear window and side panels still installed. However, it is a lot of fun in that configuration.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NC_Overland

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
The worst mileage on the hwy is obtained with the soft top folded back, all the windows down, and the rear window and side panels still installed. However, it is a lot of fun in that configuration.
I never thought about trying the different configurations. I can tell you that top off completely and doors down is bad. Freedom panels out and windows down is bad, I haven't tried freedom panels in and top off to see if there is a difference. I only put the freedom panels in yesterday because it was stupid hot when driving to and from work. The whole top is on today because its supposed to be 96 again today.

Bunchahoopla

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I see the same drop 3-4 mpg with the top off but then it’s smiles per gallon I am more concerned with and it is worth it.

OP
OP
NC_Overland

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I see the same drop 3-4 mpg with the top off but then it’s smiles per gallon I am more concerned with and it is worth it.
Same. I thought about putting the Freedom Panels in for the trip back from the beach, but I'm so glad we didn't. At 10pm, the stars in rural NC on that clear night were amazing. I was driving, so couldn't safely look much, but the fiance was having the time of her life.

Skull

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Aircraft Technician
I never get better than 16 around town, 18 highway with soft top on...don’t care ,lovin the ride!

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I noticed an increase of 1-2mpg with the doors and roof off. Weight is a great drag on my mpgs driving city than air
Sponsored