First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
I think you're reading in some information that isn't there. OP has not mentioned whether the vehicle was financed, or their equity position if so.

As to the rest: let OP be an (unfortunate) lesson to us all. You need to know how much insurance you actually have. I called USAA to find out how modifications get covered before i installed any. In my state i get 5k max coverage for mods, no need to pre-notify of the specifics, but in the event of a loss i must present all receipts. This is policy set by your state's insurance commission.

My vehicle has more than 5k worth of work done, and USAA does not offer agreed value policies in my state for vehicles being used as everyday commuters, so my only option to help protect myself was additional new car replacement coverages (20% over ACV).

An example such as OP's would have me reimbursed 61.4k rather than 47k. still a loss, but for a 2 year old vehicle, certainly a more tolerable one.
OP said no loan.
depreciciation is something that takes place when the owner decides on their own to sell or trade. this decision was due to manufacturer defect. I didnt have GAP insurance due to the fact I did not have a loan. they should at least replace my vehicle with the equivalent.

TheRealStreetcommander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
None of your business.
I think you're reading in some information that isn't there. OP has not mentioned whether the vehicle was financed, or their equity position if so.
Not the intent. It's semantics, but I interpret being upside-down as having an obligation to a product or business transaction where the invested debt and/or equity position is higher than the current market value.

That seems to be the case the OP is describing here.

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
That is so difficult, really sorry, glad there wasn’t a pup, or another creature in there…..

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
Honestly it sounds like you need to lawyer up. Allstate says it's Jeep, and Jeep says it's not them. Were these mods done by the dealership? It could have been that the wiring job they did was awful, and caused the fire. I'm really sorry this happened to you. Like others have said with the insurance, if you just had it insured as a Jeep Gladiator with X trim level, then that's all they'll pay out for, and even then they'll try to go as cheaply as possible. You generally have to itemize and submit any aftermarket parts for them to cover them (at an increased premium).
For what it's worth, Allstate's not necessarily trying to shift blame onto or away from anyone. They're upholding their end of the deal and providing payment for a loss. It's just that OP doesn't think payment is high enough.

Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Unless the OP has a statement between him and his insurance company showing that he’s covered for an agreed value rather than the market value, there’s nothing that could be done for the reimbursement value. It doesn’t matter how the fire started or what the OP thinks is fair or not, the value is the value. If you wanna talk about what is fair or not fair, you have to also admit that it might not be fair to expect a payout for something that wasn’t covered like the excessive value.

You could say you invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in gold plated shocks and coils and diamond encrusted brake lines for all they care, if they’re not declared as covered, they don’t matter. And the cause of the fire would only be of interest to the insurance company for recouping costs. It wouldn’t change payout at all though.

Sorry to see about your loss, but at this point I think this is a good learning experience for everyone.

STACHES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Alltrack, '74 X1/9, '71 240z, '66 C10
Occupation
Manufacturing Automation
Honestly it sounds like you need to lawyer up. Allstate says it's Jeep, and Jeep says it's not them.
That's not OP's fight. Allstate just pays out for the vehicle, then they fight Jeep to get their money.

Similar thing happened when my water heater flooded the basement. Allstate paid me to cover the damages, then they went after Rheem because it was under warranty, and got Rheem to reimburse Allstate, and refunded me the deductible.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Shouldnt I be paid for at least the $71k I paid to the dealership?
No. It's that simple.
Some insurance companies offer or even include "replacement cost" riders or coverage. But the short of it is no, it's a used vehicle.

I didn't read all posts - were ANY mods made to the truck? and when i say ANY, I mean ANY at all, anything?

Jeep~N~Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
No. It's that simple.
Some insurance companies offer or even include "replacement cost" riders or coverage. But the short of it is no, it's a used vehicle.

I didn't read all posts - were ANY mods made to the truck? and when i say ANY, I mean ANY at all, anything?
I did see a lightbar in the pic. I really wish he would answer whether it was a standard or automatic.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's not OP's fight. Allstate just pays out for the vehicle, then they fight Jeep to get their money.
If they can prove it was Jeep's fault. If there was a problem with these, we'd be seeing fires on unmodified Jeeps just sitting there.
Doesn't matter - insurance pays. Period. It's that easy. Then insurance goes from there.

Definately a Jeep lawsuit. there have been a few other Gladiators that burned in the same spot as mine. Coincidence?
Your source? And the evidence the fires all started the same way?

depreciciation is something that takes place when the owner decides on their own to sell or trade. this decision was due to manufacturer defect. I didnt have GAP insurance due to the fact I did not have a loan. they should at least replace my vehicle with the equivalent.
How old are you? 18? 20? Have you ever bought or sold a vehicle before?
Depreciation starts when the first title is issues and the vehicle is placed in service. The clock started ticking when you signed those papers.

Truck was off. nothing was on, and also, these accessories have fuses! fuse would go out before anything.
Ah, here we go.......... who installed those parts? You? Where are the fuses, where are the switches, and what wire sizes were used, where were connections made - and in the installation process, did you or the installer drill into, cut, pinch or otherwise damage any other wires? Unless you took power from the PDC itself or had used a fuse that was right at the battery, there's still unprotected wire. It's one reason I don't connect things the way most people do.

Sorry, all bets are off - after-market accessories............

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I did see a lightbar in the pic. I really wish he would answer whether it was a standard or automatic.
I missed that.
Yes, the first posts leave out oh, so much information!
Sorry, and no offense, but I'm going to guess the OP is a younger person, never bought a vehicle before, and is very likely new to wiring, electric, and accessories.

I'll add - when we show cars at the more professional shows and venues, two things must happen:
We must place an inspected fire extinguisher by the left rear tire of the car
and
The battery must be disconnected.
Doesn't matter if all wiring is new or not. Even me, I had to disconnect my battery.
OK, I get it - stuff can happen, mistakes, errors, worn, scraped wires, loose grounds that generate heat, whatever. An alternator diode can go bad and leak current from the battery back through the alternator - and if it's bad enough, things can get hot.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
As to the rest: let OP be an (unfortunate) lesson to us all. You need to know how much insurance you actually have. I called USAA to find out how modifications get covered before i installed any. In my state i get 5k max coverage for mods, no need to pre-notify of the specifics, but in the event of a loss i must present all receipts. This is policy set by your state's insurance commission.
Bingo - most others were losing that in all of this.
And this VARIES with company and policy. Some companies/policies will cover up to xx of add-ons, some will not. My agent said "send me photos and keep the receipts". If I can prove cost and what existed, it's covered to a certain amount.
When I totaled our wonder, beautiful, fully outfitted with all sorts of accessories and clean as new WJ years ago, I was ready for a struggle. I met with the adjuster , I had my research in my hands. He threw me a number that blew away my hopes or expectations. He said "I can tell it's obviously been well cared-for and noted the accessories on it" and he covered the Jeep and some extra for the accessories and it cost us very little to replace it (depreciation, of course)
But people need to read the fine print, keep receipts, and not expect that because they put it on it's covered. May be, may not be. ASK.
Similar for my cars - any time I make any improvements on them, any further restoration, I send him photos and copies of receipts.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
I just saw a '23 Gladiator at the dealership with 37's, mopar lift, aftermarket front bumper, winch for $75,000. I'm guessing yours was somewhat similar, meaning all done at the dealership. Allstate is probably looking at a stock Gladiator (whichever model) and saying we can buy one for X so that is what we are offering you as a replacement check. If you can show them yours came with the additional items, from the dealer, I would think they would have to add the cost of those into your replacement check since you didn't buy a "stock" Gladiator.
Yep. That's the key.

@OP:

If you bought the vehicle with dealer installed mods and those were itemized you may be able to argue to Allstate that they should cover the replacement value of the vehicle and the dealer-installed accessories/mods at depreciated value. You won't get what you paid but it may close the gap just a little.

Secondly, hiring a public adjuster and an attorney will be in your best interest, along with not posting anything about pending litigation online.

It is a hard lesson to learn but in the future you need to have stated value insurance, GAP, or at least riders to provide you with coverage for your modifications. Good luck.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sad thing about some of this - we were taught in high school about depreciation, vehicle values, the various types of insurance you can get, what replacement cost was as opposed to other insurance and so on.
I read my policies, I asked questions.
It's really sad that schools (or parents) aren't preparing young people for life and finances.
To find so many adults don't know about the various possible insurance scenarios, what declared value is vs. stated value vs. whatever, replacement cost vs. FMV at time of loss and so on.

MountainDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mohave
Occupation
Engineer
I should be reimburused in full do to the fact that this is a manufacturer defect. my truck was not even a year old. I did not plan on selling or trading my vehicle in. Jeep should at least honor as a lemon law. I cannot get a new jeep with factory lift and oversize wheels which I purchased my Jeep with. so I should take a $23k loss? put yourself in my position. would you be willing to take a $23k loss on a vehicle that you just purchased? where is justice here?
We just sold our 2022 Mojave back to car shop. Paid 61 out the door fully loaded. A year and 8 months we've had it with 9300 miles. They gave us 43,500 so we took a hit but we Have other priorities and growing family. So jeep was too small. We put 30k down so at least we got some back. No new vehicles for us in this crap economy. Values are steadily dropping. Have friends in banking and many are trying to sell their high end toys. Preparing for what.....I don't know. And sorry you lost your jeep. That hurts and stings for a while.
Sponsored