Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
OP also said it only had 2,500 miles, and sat all winter. Mice and rodents love the coating on wires, especially the wires on vehicles that sit for long periods.
I have the hood of my JD lawn tractor propped open - chipmunks were taking acorns up in there and I found just the beginning of chewing on a single wire sheath.. they like dark, enclosed places (mice, rats, chipmunks, etc.)

You hit on some of the problems with this tale - too much missing info, too much emotion, too little fact.
I've found mice in the HVAC of a pretty new Grand Cherokee, we had parts of our Trane heat pump fail and burn out due to mice years ago. any vehicle sitting is prone to rodent damage.. Heck, I had a squirrel eat through Christmas lights in the front yard.

I strongly doubt this is a Jeep issue at all by any stretch. Anyone saying so not looking at it is guessing, tossing stuff out there to see what fits or sticks.

Could have been crap accessory or crap accessory installation, could be rodent damage, could be any number of things.

Vehicles can catch fire - without known factory defects. It happens. Even just sitting.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A vehicle catching fire while cold and parked is a safety issue and the NHTSA collates the report with others and uses that data to take action such as forcing recalls. This is how the NHTSA determines if there is a design flaw, a problem with assembly, or a bad batch of parts that needs to be addressed.

You've probably seen the notices for owners of certain vehicles to not park inside their garages until a recall can be done - fire reports are how those notices are generated.
True he can report it - but............ right off the bat he's blaming Jeep because it was sitting and not driven - for quite a while. He's jumping to conclusions. NHTSA won't.
I'm more telling the OP that reporting it doesn't mean squat because it will take professionals using hands-on investigating and gathering of data to determine if any further action is needed. It appears he's wanting Jeep to pay him now.
Ain't gonna happen..
Report it - but that's where it ends for him at this point. And his report doesn't mean there's anything to it until NHTSA determines there's a problem. And that could take a long time.

I've had one of those vehicles - a F250 - brake switch that was reported to get hot....... had caused some small fires (brake fluid burns but really needs a wick, won't go crazy on its own)
The fix was the dealer installed a new switch and use twist connectors to connect it to the harness.. The fix was almost as bad as no fix in some ways.

Not2Late

First Name
Tarik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2017 Jeep JK
Occupation
Education
The objective of most replacement insurance is to make you "whole" - that is to cover you up to what you lost with something of equal value. In this case, a similar vehicle of age and mileage. That's where they use comparisons and market values. You could have a discussion with them about what metrics to look at. So if the vehilcle is a real hot item, you could argue it would actually cost you more than what the book says you could buy it for. Unfortuneatly I think the market has softened a bit on the gladiators, so that may be tough to do.

You don't get a new car replacement, thereby recovering the depreciation as well. That would be making you more than whole. Insurance companies definately don't do that with vehicles and items. I suppose you could buy a big enough term life insurance police which could make you "worth more dead than alive" as the saying goes :)

Unfortunately, unless there was a prior agreement (by writing into the policy your add-ons and their value), I don't think the insurance company is obligated to reimburse for those. Insurance is all about charging an amount reflecting the risk. And they may have been happy to do it after an inspection and list of add-ons with associated costs.

I am sorry for the loss of your vehicle. I am sure that really hurts. I am glad no one was hurt and also it didn't involve a building or worse.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The objective of most replacement insurance is to make you "whole" - that is to cover you up to what you lost with something of equal value. In this case, a similar vehicle of age and mileage.
This right here.
it wasn't new or worth 70K when burned, so you get what it was worth - not to you, but what the market says.
There's some wiggle room sometimes, and make really sure you do your own comparisons like I did for my father's Ranger when he was killed - I got them up from 3K to 11K and was only fighting for 10K which was FMV of the truck at the time of the accident. They screwed up and were leaving things out and had it as a long wheel base while it was clearly a short wheel base - worth quite a bit more.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I hate to see things like this but there is a grown up life lesson to be learned here about perceived value, market value and insured value.

I have no delusions that if mine burned down tomorrow, I would be out a chunk of change for the uninsured sunken costs beyond the current market vehicle price. But I know and accept that risk.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
have no delusions that if mine burned down tomorrow, I would be out a chunk of change for the uninsured sunken costs beyond the current market vehicle price. But I know and accept that risk.
Doesn't have to be fire as all too many Jeep owners in these forums have found out. Just taking it out of your garage or driveway can bring that life lesson to the forefront.
All it takes is a person not paying attention, texting, talking, adjusting a radio, reaching for their sunglasses, whatever - BAM, Jeep is gone (hopefully not a life with it)

Years ago my wife and I were driving one of my cars to work (we worked in the same building and got the same hours approved).
She turned to me and asked "what would you do if someone hit you while you were driving one of these cars?"
My response was - "I'd have to start looking for parts (after I got done crying)".
She said -why don't you start finding the parts now while you can.

Jeeps can be replaced, parts found, repaired, whatever. There's a monetary loss for sure. That's a given. It hurts, and because many make these more than just a car off the lot - these get personalized.
I can go buy another JT and start over - it will be costly and take a ton of time (especially because the money is no longer there - sold a car to pay for the first JT) but it can be done.
If I lose one of the others - there's no way to replace.........

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Doesn't have to be fire as all too many Jeep owners in these forums have found out. Just taking it out of your garage or driveway can bring that life lesson to the forefront.
Gotcha, catastrophic loss is catastrophic loss regardless of the method.

I am just the type that carries high deductibles and accepts the risk understanding I am driving a vehicle that 20 years down the road I probably will not own but if I did, it is not a Corvette "One of One" but will be on the teeter of scrap value.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
You don't get a new car replacement, thereby recovering the depreciation as well. That would be making you more than whole. Insurance companies definately don't do that with vehicles and items.
Could you imagine? People would have "random fires" each year just to get a brand spankin' new truck!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Could you imagine? People would have "random fires" each year just to get a brand spankin' new truck!
It would be a who cares if I wreck it free-for-all out there.
It almost is around here about rush hour.

STACHES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Alltrack, '74 X1/9, '71 240z, '66 C10
Occupation
Manufacturing Automation
I have the hood of my JD lawn tractor propped open - chipmunks were taking acorns up in there and I found just the beginning of chewing on a single wire sheath.. they like dark, enclosed places (mice, rats, chipmunks, etc.)

You hit on some of the problems with this tale - too much missing info, too much emotion, too little fact.
I've found mice in the HVAC of a pretty new Grand Cherokee, we had parts of our Trane heat pump fail and burn out due to mice years ago. any vehicle sitting is prone to rodent damage.. Heck, I had a squirrel eat through Christmas lights in the front yard.

I strongly doubt this is a Jeep issue at all by any stretch. Anyone saying so not looking at it is guessing, tossing stuff out there to see what fits or sticks.

Could have been crap accessory or crap accessory installation, could be rodent damage, could be any number of things.

Vehicles can catch fire - without known factory defects. It happens. Even just sitting.
The Alfa Romeos around here had issues with squirrels eating the soy based wire insulation. Wouldn't be surprised if Stellantis used some in the Jeeps too.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The Alfa Romeos around here had issues with squirrels eating the soy based wire insulation. Wouldn't be surprised if Stellantis used some in the Jeeps too.
Who knows - some of the parts could be sourced from the same manufacturers.
Trying to rescue as many apples off our poor apple tree (it busted, losing two major branches this year). I have a few left up high to pick. As I walked toward the tree yesterday a squirrel was laughing at me as he grabbed an apple and took off with it. No kidding. Never know what rodents will eat this time of year.
I never did understand their affinity for wire insulation, though, soy-based or not.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
This thread is a good read for all of us, particularly those who are less “seasoned” than others.

I’ll have to agree with the majority that what the OP paid and what he’ll get out of it are two vastly different numbers. The only case where it won’t be is what I did with my Porsche Spyder. I have a separate policy (with Hagerty) for an agreed amount of value, which due to the rarity of the model is actually higher than what I paid for it. The rest of our vehicles which are insured through Erie will pay us for a one year newer vehicle which would help take the sting out of a total loss.

I wish the OP all the best but in reality he’ll never get $71K.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
sorry this has happened to you. The forum can be a great support group and most are empathetic. It's nice to be able to vent frustrations and seek advice but it can also be a double edge sword. Calm and comforting one minute and a shotgun blast with rock salt the next. We are all full of helpful opinions. In teh end I hope you get what you are owed. My Jeep is an extension of me. a lifelong obsession and a true love of teh brand. It hurts to see yours in this condition. I hope you can get it replaced.

Can you share a before picture so we can see it in its Glory?

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Sucks for your loss.....yeah thankfully it was not in the garage at the time.

Insurance companies are out to make money bottom line.

If you own and modify your vehicle(s) you need to look into specialty insurance that has a "agreed upon" value to protect your investment. Are the premiums higher, yes they can be...BUT when you need to make that claim....you're covered.

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
nobody would have seen the blaze until the truck exploded due to just filling the gas tank
a full tank won't explode, an empty tank will. It's the fumes that are explosive.

Also, Allstate sucks. My wife is still getting calls from them (for some unknown reason) for a neither-party-at-fault accident back in April. The other (uninsured, unlicensed) person is trying to get money out of Allstate and they're calling my wife asking her to get the trooper to change some things in the report to favor my wife. Making "your rate will go up if we have to pay out these $30k that this person is asking for" threats. F*ck allstate.
Sponsored