My Custom 1/2 Rack For Roof Top Tent

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
So my first mod that I really need is a rack of some sort for a roof top tent. I have trips planned in the next few weeks and with little to nothing on the market yet for racks I figured I would make my own.

I like to keep the tent as low as possible so that it does not catch wind above the roof like a sail yet as high up as possible in order to maximize cargo capacity in the bed. In my F150, I use a Thule adjustable rack to do exactly that yet it can also be raised up for longer stuff spanning over the roof such as kayaks, lumber etc. Ultimately I would like something similar for the gladiator once it is available but for now a fixed height shorty rack will do.

One of the best storage boxes I have found are the Dewalt rolling tool boxes, they are waterproof and hold tons of stuff and are cheap at $60. With a shorty rack and a roof top tent, the Dewalt boxes are secure underneath as long as the tailgate is locked as the lids cannot be opened as long as the tent is in place also. Two of the Dewalt boxes fit perfectly side by side pushed to the front of the bed in the gladiator with about 16” left between them and the tailgate for other stuff.

So next was a quick mock up of how it would look and function. I will be using 1.5” sq steel tube for the uprights and crossbars and 2”x3” angle for the feet. The angle will be bolted to the optional bed tracks making them easy on/off. More to follow, I did not have enough materials to finish so it will be the weekend before I get back to this but here is a pic or two of my mock up.

67323C2F-2E3A-4F32-95D2-5097110335A3.jpeg
B702EABD-F94C-4296-B6C7-2E135BD4BE28.jpeg
68AAC9CC-9FC7-4EC2-BAC0-1F1085F38D0D.jpeg
E0F6B360-35AD-4687-BE0B-F95BF5C29456.jpeg
Sponsored

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
That's the height I'm looking for too. I'd like the tent to either be flush with the roof, or assuming we go with a clamshell with some aero shape to it, only that part is above the roof line. I might also have to do what you're doing and hack something together to get through this summer and wait for the market to have more options.