Sponsored

My Gladiator is the most polarizing vehicle I’ve ever owned.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I’ve owned a lot of cars, SUVs, and truck. I’ve been very fortunate to own a lot of good looking vehicles that get compliments. This Gladiator is up there with the most compliments, but it’s crazy how polarizing it is. I get a lot of compliments, like a surprising amount. However, I get almost as many negative. Now most of the negative are not actually to my face, I hear them talking shit. A handful of asshats feel the need to tell me how ugly it is. It’s just weird. I don’t really care, it actually entertains me.

You guys experience this? I have a most stock Sting Gray Overland. It just has 275/70/18 Revo 3s, matching front tint, and blacked out emblems. Pic for reference. I love the look of it and I’m not trying to solicit compliments.

66D9C99D-2A74-4565-861C-E55651309055.jpeg
Sponsored

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
I went to pickup a shipment at my local airport's air cargo terminal, and as I was backing into the loading dock, about 5 of the forklift operators stopped what they were doing to argue about my Gladiator. 3 against it and 2 in favor. I find it pretty incredibly that it can illicit such strong feelings, nobody see's it and is just like "meh" I attribute some of the response to the fact that most people are seeing it for the first time.

OP
OP
NC_Overland

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I went to pickup a shipment at my local airport's air cargo terminal, and as I was backing into the loading dock, about 5 of the forklift operators stopped what they were doing to argue about my Gladiator. 3 against it and 2 in favor. I find it pretty incredibly that it can illicit such strong feelings, nobody see's it and is just like "meh" I attribute some of the response to the fact that most people are seeing it for the first time.
Yeah, I think that’s part of it for sure. I also think it’s because there was a lot of hype about it for years, and also arrogant wrangler owners.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I think there are two innate reactions at work here. First off, there is a certain expectation of what a pickup truck is all about. And it isn't a bro owner's ride, or even just a working dad, driving his truck to work at the software developer that employs him. It's a rancher hauling his cattle to market. An electrician showing up at your house to wire you new workshop. A job-site foreman checking work progress in a remote location. Somehow, I don't see Jeep successfully playing to that market in their advertising, though Ford, Chevy, etc all do. That elicits all of the negative reactions. But, contrary to that is the character and legend of Jeep over the decades. Even as small kids, we all stare at Jeeps as they pass on the street. There is an almost universal love for them, which attracts the positive, visceral reactions.

... and also arrogant wrangler owners.
Yeah, you gotta keep an eye on them guys. ;-)
Jeep Gladiator My Gladiator is the most polarizing vehicle I’ve ever owned. Gladiator, Jun 20, CP_171435, 12 Hours After Start

Sponsored

troy_brady

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack, 1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle
Occupation
HSE Technician
I relate to this thread so much... Owning two Wranglers previously I never would have thought when I purchased my Gladiator that it'd be such a controversy that solicited so many unwanted opinions. :facepalm: Truck owners hate on you for not having a "real truck", Jeep owners hate on you for not having a "real Jeep."

Meanwhile me enjoying my Gladiator. :LOL: :party:

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
I've been fortunate to build slammed air bag show cars, german track cars, and also trucks on 40s. I'm somewhat used to the 'hey man, what is that thing?' or 'wow, mind if I take a picture with that?"' at gas stations. My 911 brings little kids to 70 year old men out to the pumps when I go to fill it up. Saying all of that, the Gladiator is nuts. I'm a super social person, but even during this pandemic times, I bet I have 2 or 3 people stop at every gas station fill up to ask what it is, where they can buy one, or if they can get a photo with their son/daughter. My wife and I laugh, because of all my 17 vehicles since I was 15(some of them being incredibly built/expensive), this Gladiator gets the MOST attention. For the record, I haven't had one truck owner or anyone else talk bad about it. Maybe thats the South, and the general love for all things Jeep.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Its been a year of ownership for me, plus like 3yrs of waiting for it and discussing it. I'm pretty much over the negative comments they bring. Either they genuinely don't like it, don't know shit about it or are jelly. Either way they're boring to me. The only time I get hooked into a debate is when they they say a ZR2 (or other example) can wheel alongside it. lol *posts avatar pic* Sometimes I'm prone to troll people who ignorantly compare it to the Wrangler.

Swayze

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I’ve experienced similar reactions and that people love to talk about it. Most people who come up to me really like the truck or are curious to what it is, others that don’t like the truck, seem to want it to be something it isn’t.

A guy yesterday told me he didn’t like the Gladiator that much, but then we talked for a bit and it was more that he really wanted a Jeep Truck but for it to be a full size truck, he needed an F150/Ram/etc, but would have loved to be able to take the top and doors off.

The first time I saw the Gladiator on tv I wasn’t sold on it, but after seeing it and letting it sink in how many things it’s good at, it just started making sense. Like if you want a good truck, a good off-roader, a fun convertible, a lego kit and you want that to be one truck, then you love it. But if you want to be able to tow a cruise ship or be the ultimate rock crawler there are better targeted vehicles.

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Shortly after buying my JT, someone drove by the house and yelled "nice Gladiator!." My daughter, owner of a JKU, said it's ugly and threatened not to let it into her driveway.
Owners of older Jeeps sneered at the JK when it came out. JK owners were disgusted by the new JKU. On and on it goes. My Jeep's better than your Jeep, blah blah blah.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Shortly after buying my JT, someone drove by the house and yelled "nice Gladiator!." My daughter, owner of a JKU, said it's ugly and threatened not to let it into her driveway.
Owners of older Jeeps sneered at the JK when it came out. JK owners were disgusted by the new JKU. On and on it goes. My Jeep's better than your Jeep, blah blah blah.
Well JK and JKUs came out at the same time. The JK is sort of the YJ of the newest generations, IMO. Round headlights but the grill isn't pure and the 07-11 had horrid interiors and an even worse driveline before Fiat bought the company and trashed them.

The funny about the "my gen is better than your gen" argument is its nearly always made by owners of older Jeeps...when, in fact, every new generation Jeep has been better than the one before it.

Cincinnati Brian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, Crystal Granite, Soft Top, 2.5" Rubicon Express, 35 x 12.5 KO2 mounted on 18” Black Rhino Armory wheels
Occupation
Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Opinions are like assholes as the saying goes. All that matters to me is that I smile everytime I drive mine! Not everyone can say that for sure and for that, I'm a lucky man.

ElDirector

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I've gotten at least a dozen "nice jeep" comments... from kids! Don't really care about what other adults think.

I knew before buying it that some died in the wool Jeep owners hated the idea of a 4-door pickup as a "Jeep". Some folks hate square headlights, some folks hate coil springs. And, yes, some hate truck beds. Meh. I like it.

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Straight up honest, I didn't like it at first. It looked like an afterthought Wrangler. Perhaps a cash-grab in the lucrative truck market.

Then it grew on me...fast. Like many of you, I've been fortunate to drive many nice vehicles and brands, but this is my first Jeep and my first truck.

All I've received thus far is positive comments...people love it. With bigger wheels/tires and the Gator color, it stands out even here in SoCal. I'm sure negative comments will be said, but I understand because initially I didn't warm to the design nor the general idea of a Jeep truck.
Sponsored