My Gladiator trade in value - for reference

Otaypankey

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver JTR, 2015 Mercedes Benz E550 Cabriolet, 2020 BMW R1250 RT
Love my JTR but need to get back into a full size rig. Trading my truck w 16k on the odometer tomorrow for a 2020 new Ram Laramie 4x4. Only losing 1700 off what I paid for the truck new plus the cost of a bumper and winch. Bought the JT from Travis at Tri City and trading it back to him for the Ram.

Good luck with your JTs fellas!
Sponsored

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
Love my JTR but need to get back into a full size rig. Trading my truck w 16k on the odometer tomorrow for a 2020 new Ram Laramie 4x4. Only losing 1700 off what I paid for the truck new plus the cost of a bumper and winch. Bought the JT from Travis at Tri City and trading it back to him for the Ram.

Good luck with your new truck. Some duties really do require a full size truck instead of a mid like the JT.

However, “trade-in” values often include a lot of fluff that you typically would have received as a “cash discount” and thus are totally unreliable as indicators of value. Ford trucks, for example, regularly go for $10k+ off sticker (or more) thus showing extraordinary “trade-in” values on paper. Without knowing the specifics of your new truck, it’s hard to say what you really received in trade.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Good luck with your new truck. Some duties really do require a full size truck instead of a mid like the JT.

However, “trade-in” values often include a lot of fluff that you typically would have received as a “cash discount” and thus are totally unreliable as indicators of value. Ford trucks, for example, regularly go for $10k+ off sticker (or more) thus showing extraordinary “trade-in” values on paper.
I’m not following you. The discounts available on new vehicles 100% influence the value of a used 1-2 yr old vehicle. That inflected value, among other factors, absolutely influences the value period. It doesn’t just influence the trade in value.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure

you should offer someone to trade their stock bumper for yours plus some cash before trading

Sponsored

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
I’m not following you. The discounts available on new vehicles 100% influence the value of a used 1-2 yr old vehicle. That inflected value, among other factors, absolutely influences the value period. It doesn’t just influence the trade in value.
It's like this:

Buying straight out (no trade):
$50,000 new Ford Truck
-$10,000 discount since you're paying cash
=====
$40,000 new Ford truck (out of pocket, in actual dollars)

--Now, instead of buying outright, let's say you want to trade in your JT that you paid $45,000 for some months back. Trade may look something like this:

$50,000 new Ford Truck =
-$40,000 "trade in value" of your JT shown on paper.
$10,000 difference paid out of pocket.

In this example, did you REALLY get "$40,000 trade in" value of your JT? Did you REALLY lose just $5,000 on your JT? No. In this case, on paper you show a $5000 loss, but in reality, you lost $15,000, as the actual value given for your JT was only $30,000. (actual cost of the Ford was JT at $30k + $10k cash = $40,000 true cost of the Ford)

It's like I said, just hearing that someone got "$40,000 trade value" (for example) or "traded it for $5000 less than I paid for it", may not be a true indicator of how much they actually "lost" on their JT since purchase. In a "trade-in" situation, we cannot say without knowing the specific values in play.

Last edited:

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Every time I see a post like this I alway feel like they are trying to say Haha look what I’m doing but really nobody cares. Good luck with your new truck and don’t let the door hit you on the way out

OP
OP

Otaypankey

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver JTR, 2015 Mercedes Benz E550 Cabriolet, 2020 BMW R1250 RT
Every time I see a post like this I alway feel like they are trying to say Haha look what I’m doing but really nobody cares. Good luck with your new truck and don’t let the door hit you on the way out
I have generally enjoyed this forum and have received lots of good information from it over the last 1.5 years. My only intention here was to call out the excellent resale value of these trucks. Sorry to point our something that you don’t care about but I suspect other owners may. Good luck with your jaded life.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Thanks for the info.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Had 22k on my clock - paid me 2k less than I paid for it. 14mos old. They’re currently selling it for 49k - 2k more than I bought it for new. It does have a MOPAR lift on it. Hope they didn’t leave those 33s on it lol. I took my 37s and wheels with m

Traded it in so bare it didn’t even have a front bumper, lol.

Can’t see any reason to buy a slightly used Jeep these days.

A0F30645-0BE0-4940-8A81-B1B84F51F55D.jpeg

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Most people fail to consider that in their trade. Yes, you get less up front front trading at the dealer vs. selling out right, but you always have to consider the tax savings as value. It sounds like you did well.
im not sure that rule applies in every state though