My Major Question about the Gladiator

ChapEJF

First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60
Greetings! First time poster who is highly considering the Gladiator. My Bottom Line Up Front Question is: How much better (or not) is the handling and ride of the Gladiator compared to the JL Wrangler Unlimited?
Background:
* Never owned a Jeep
* Just rented a JL for the weekend and I was highly considering it or the Gladiator but the ride and handling of the JL are not sustainable for me.
* I have not yet driven the Gladiator; my delay is due to being in Hawaii and I will not purchase here (I move in 5 months). I may try to do a test drive here if it sounds promising.
* In the market for a replacement for my Volvo, which I love but it is getting dated. I know the ride and handling on anything that Jeep has cannot touch my Volvo.
* One of my bucket list items is to navigate the Trans America Trail. Getting too old to do it on a motorcycle but want a little bit of adventure before I go to the "Old Soldier's Home."
* My other candidates are Ford Ranger FX4, updated Frontier out soon and maybe the new Bronco (no rock throwing thanks).
I appreciate any insight that anyone can provide. Many Thanks, ChapEJF
Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
This is a solid axel truck. I’ve had six, but my first Jeep. This one drives better than any of my previous solid axels. That said, some have had steering issues, so it is worth checking out one, but then carefully checking out the one you intend to buy thoroughly. As for ride, I love how mine rides, but you need to set your expectations properly.

Keller

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Best thing for you to do would be test drive one.

Feedback from others will be subjective.

With that said, I have a Rubicon and the wife drives a BMW X7 M50i. Going from the Jeep to the BMW is like going from a truck to a sports car.
Most modern SUV’s are going to ride and drive better than the Gladiator. I do enjoy driving the Gladiator though, nothing quite like it.

sgtkersh

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland; 1980 CJ5 Golden Eagle
I traded a 2019 JLR for my Gladiator. The Gladiator definitely drives better, but 2 door Wranglers are always a little more flighty to drive. As others have said, with a solid front axle it is always going to lag behind comparable vehicles in ride and handling. The Ranger you are looking at will handle better, the ride will be more cushy, but it also won’t handle the trail as well as the Gladiator. It just depends on what you want. You want a better ride, you should look for something else.You want the most capable off road truck on the market, and IMO the coolest, then you should go with a Gladiator.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
These are longer than Wranglers for one thing, so they'll be different just for that even if every single other part was identical.

I have owned many Jeeps with IFS, classic cars, trucks, short cars, long cars, light cars, heavy cars, 2 wheel drive half tone, 4x4 3/4 ton, I find little difference in how my JT Overland handles. Different, perhaps, worse - no.
I've had it up to over 80 (that's all I'll admit to) and never felt like it was a problem.
You can't compare this to shorter Jeep vehicles - or any other shorter vehicle.
Long wheel base impacts handling and steering, period.

Mine rides great - my wife loves how it feels on the rode when we take it places. She's commented on the nice ride it has.
Steering - handling - no issues, no complaints. Maybe a bit light on the road feel, someone described it as "feeling floaty" but I bet I can get some road feel back with a couple PSI out of the tires or a stiffer stabilizer. But it's not a concern or worry.

There really, IMO, isn't another vehicle you can rightly compare the handling to because there isn't another like it with this wheel base and front axle setup - is there?

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Greetings! First time poster who is highly considering the Gladiator. My Bottom Line Up Front Question is: How much better (or not) is the handling and ride of the Gladiator compared to the JL Wrangler Unlimited?
Background:
* Never owned a Jeep
* Just rented a JL for the weekend and I was highly considering it or the Gladiator but the ride and handling of the JL are not sustainable for me.
* I have not yet driven the Gladiator; my delay is due to being in Hawaii and I will not purchase here (I move in 5 months). I may try to do a test drive here if it sounds promising.
* In the market for a replacement for my Volvo, which I love but it is getting dated. I know the ride and handling on anything that Jeep has cannot touch my Volvo.
* One of my bucket list items is to navigate the Trans America Trail. Getting too old to do it on a motorcycle but want a little bit of adventure before I go to the "Old Soldier's Home."
* My other candidates are Ford Ranger FX4, updated Frontier out soon and maybe the new Bronco (no rock throwing thanks).
I appreciate any insight that anyone can provide. Many Thanks, ChapEJF
You're wasting your time asking folks on the JEEP Gladiator forum if you should buy a Gladiator. What do you expect us to tell you?

It's your money and YOUR DECISION. Do your research and good luck with your choice.

If you haven't seen this article you're not doing your research:
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a29798427/10best-2020-jeep-gladiator/

MaximusDecimusMeridius

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Red LE, 2014 Sierra 6in lift, 2015 Ford Fusion
Driving yesterday was a battle keeping it between the lines due to the wind...just like my jk...I'd say it has a bit better handling but nothing compared to my car or wifes 1500 GMC.

Drives like a log wagon but wouldn't trade it for anything

OP
OP

ChapEJF

First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60
This is a solid axel truck. I’ve had six, but my first Jeep. This one drives better than any of my previous solid axels. That said, some have had steering issues, so it is worth checking out one, but then carefully checking out the one you intend to buy thoroughly. As for ride, I love how mine rides, but you need to set your expectations properly.
Thanks so much and I most definitely will do so. I have driven solid axle trucks but not very much recently and the Wrangler was a good reminder. Day two of the rental was better but I also realized that the rental was an absolutely new vehicle that had much of that new stiffness. Thanks again.

OP
OP

ChapEJF

First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60
Best thing for you to do would be test drive one.

Feedback from others will be subjective.

With that said, I have a Rubicon and the wife drives a BMW X7 M50i. Going from the Jeep to the BMW is like going from a truck to a sports car.
Most modern SUV’s are going to ride and drive better than the Gladiator. I do enjoy driving the Gladiator though, nothing quite like it.
I agree with what you said about feedback and that is why I tried to phrase my main question to be specific but it is truly a subjective issue. I appreciate your perspective. Many Thanks,

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks so much and I most definitely will do so. I have driven solid axle trucks but not very much recently and the Wrangler was a good reminder. Day two of the rental was better but I also realized that the rental was an absolutely new vehicle that had much of that new stiffness. Thanks again.
My Gladiator is far from stiff- it rides almost like my Chevy did. Maybe a bit more "Jeep-y" but not really. It's a more narrow truck and a bit shorter than the Silverado.
It's true that a new vehicle will have an initial "stiff" feel until things settle in, break in, as far as bushings and such.
Honestly, I may sell my WJ and use the JT as my daily driver......... still undecided, I guess.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ChapEJF

First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60
I traded a 2019 JLR for my Gladiator. The Gladiator definitely drives better, but 2 door Wranglers are always a little more flighty to drive. As others have said, with a solid front axle it is always going to lag behind comparable vehicles in ride and handling. The Ranger you are looking at will handle better, the ride will be more cushy, but it also won’t handle the trail as well as the Gladiator. It just depends on what you want. You want a better ride, you should look for something else.You want the most capable off road truck on the market, and IMO the coolest, then you should go with a Gladiator.
Thanks and the Ranger is in the same class but most definitely in a different league. As far as what I want, that is what my process is about and thanks for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP

ChapEJF

First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60
These are longer than Wranglers for one thing, so they'll be different just for that even if every single other part was identical.

I have owned many Jeeps with IFS, classic cars, trucks, short cars, long cars, light cars, heavy cars, 2 wheel drive half tone, 4x4 3/4 ton, I find little difference in how my JT Overland handles. Different, perhaps, worse - no.
I've had it up to over 80 (that's all I'll admit to) and never felt like it was a problem.
You can't compare this to shorter Jeep vehicles - or any other shorter vehicle.
Long wheel base impacts handling and steering, period.

Mine rides great - my wife loves how it feels on the rode when we take it places. She's commented on the nice ride it has.
Steering - handling - no issues, no complaints. Maybe a bit light on the road feel, someone described it as "feeling floaty" but I bet I can get some road feel back with a couple PSI out of the tires or a stiffer stabilizer. But it's not a concern or worry.

There really, IMO, isn't another vehicle you can rightly compare the handling to because there isn't another like it with this wheel base and front axle setup - is there?
I had a few minutes this afternoon while out and I dropped the wife at the mall and went by the Jeep dealer. The salesman was ready to bring one around to drive but I did not have the time and I am reluctant to drive here (the island) because there is the perception that they have you. Therefore I will probably wait until I move back to the mainland in June and then do a test drive. My question was really coming from the first day with the Wrangler. I appreciate your response and I have also had many different vehicle over almost 40 years of driving. If I want to go for a Jeep I think I will have to dust off those skills from my younger days.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
Ranger was on my list as well. Test drove it the same day I did the Gladiator. Honestly came away disappointed with it. The powertrain felt odd to me with the Ecoboost engine. It was pretty loud in the XLT I test drove (and yes, I know the JT is loud on the road too). For the first time in my life, I felt the coolness of a modern cabin, something I didn’t use to care much for (and something the Ranger felt like it was lacking).

Like others are saying, test drive everything on your list and make the decision you feel best. That’s how I ended up in a Jeep for the first time in my life.

OP
OP

ChapEJF

First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60
You're wasting your time asking folks on the JEEP Gladiator forum if you should buy a Gladiator. What do you expect us to tell you?

It's your money and YOUR DECISION. Do your research and good luck with your choice.

If you haven't seen this article you're not doing your research:
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a29798427/10best-2020-jeep-gladiator/
Thanks for the article. Though I have read many I had not seen this one but it is similar to what I have read. Also, I did not ask if I should buy a Gladiator. I asked about the handling and ride of the Gladiator compared to the Wrangler. I know better than to asked a Fanboy forum if I should buy their favorite vehicle. Thanks again.

OP
OP

ChapEJF

First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60
Driving yesterday was a battle keeping it between the lines due to the wind...just like my jk...I'd say it has a bit better handling but nothing compared to my car or wifes 1500 GMC.

Drives like a log wagon but wouldn't trade it for anything
Thanks for your candid response. There are many factors that go into a vehicle purchase and I hear how much you enjoy the Gladiator. Many Thanks,
Sponsored