Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This isn't intended to "get into" any details, there's plenty of that out here in multiple threads and ideas enough around for all to enjoy.......
This is to MAYBE MAYBE help people who say they have a steering issue (and I don't mean by my phrasing to doubt it, I don't know a good way to say it - report, say, claim, complain, discuss, whatever - I DO believe you!)
I hope that this can be used for a comparison by others to see what these really should be and can be like.
Consider it a public service announcement? ~ Attention, is your Jeep not steering like this? ~

My JT is an Overland, it's stock, with the stock tires and wheels (so far - with all of our freezing rain, snow, whatever I hope to change tires soon) anyway, I again digress.
It's stock, stock tires.
The steering is tight - engine not running, when I move the steering wheel back and forth I can watch the left front wheel respond almost immediately. I can reach in the engine bay and grab the steering column going to the sector and hardly move it at all indicating almost no play in the sector. It's not sloppy. I can't move the wheel even an inch without the wheels responding or the sector resisting me.
Tires are inflated to the door jamb sticker - 38 psi on the schnoz - I'll recheck that as we head out of winter but it's doing fine, no feather wear, no uneven tread wear.
Toe is exactly 1/8". The front of the tires, outside of center "tread" to outside of center "tread" is 64" and at the back of the front tires that same location measures 64.125" - which is 1/8" over 64. That's pretty good.
So, toe is good, inflation to factory decal and by the way - checking the tire manufacturers specs for the load on these tires - that's what the tire manufacturers appear to be saying.

Here are the videos - the first one was made this AM on the way to town to buy some blasting and vibratory tumbler media and to to chat with my dealer about the uconnect issues. It was only a little windy. I also show where I let go of the wheel as I took an exit and it read my mind and took the exit fine with only minor correction as I got distracted (hey, look - a squirrel!)

The second video a weather event was coming in - freezing rain, snow mixed with rain, and some wind. I was heading home.
(Pardon the music, it's old-school stuff I play as I'm driving - Procol Harum )

Anyway, for those with steering issues, problems, complaints, etc. - this maybe can be used for comparison as this is how they should steer.

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
That appears to be like mine - stock Rubicon,, no mods. Set to 36 with tire gauge. Reads 37 cold on the dash display.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That appears to be like mine - stock Rubicon,, no mods. Set to 36 with tire gauge. Reads 37 cold on the dash display.
As it should be.
Proof that Jeeps can and should track well and not wander all over and not have 2" of "play" in the steering wheel before the front tires respond to your command to turn or straighten up.
Mine is all stock, including tires and pressures, yours is stock, I assume tires as well, thus we are proof Jeeps don't have to behave badly.
Like a Lamborghini? no, but not like a remnant from the Korean war, either.
Sponsored