Mysterious Rattle I can't seem to solve

Truck21

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
My Mojave makes a rattling noise whenever I hit a bump - It's on the passenger side rear or sound bar area. If I bang on the soundbar area I do not hear the rattle. I checked all seatbelts and that is not causing the rattle. I then lowered the rear seats and the noise still happens. My jack seems to be tight and not rattling.

I checked the back of the passenger seat and it seems fine. It's not the front freedom panels - had them off and still hear the noise. It not a metal to plastic rattle but more of something that may be loose and the bump causes it to rattle back and fourth.

Anyway - any thought or suggestions I would be glad to explore.

Thanks
Sponsored

TomH

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
IT
I had a rattle like that in the rear passenger seat area. It was the hard top. I loosened the bolts on the hard top and then tightened back up and it went away. Might be worth a look.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Check the seat belt buckles on the seat bottoms. Mine rattled a little. Stuff some towels around them and see if it makes a difference.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
My Mojave makes a rattling noise whenever I hit a bump - It's on the passenger side rear or sound bar area. If I bang on the soundbar area I do not hear the rattle. I checked all seatbelts and that is not causing the rattle. I then lowered the rear seats and the noise still happens. My jack seems to be tight and not rattling.

I checked the back of the passenger seat and it seems fine. It's not the front freedom panels - had them off and still hear the noise. It not a metal to plastic rattle but more of something that may be loose and the bump causes it to rattle back and fourth.

Thanks
Did you have a video?

OP
OP

Truck21

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Ok - I'll try the seatbelt and retighten the hardtop and see if that works. No video captured yet - will do if I can't solve it

Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.

Thanks
When I installed the Sunrider and my molle roof panel, I was too lazy to grab the right extension to tighten the bolts in the back. So there was a washer rattle when a bump was hit. It took me until this past March to tighten it up.

I'd check those bolts.

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
Choose your own adventure:

1. I for one can never find a rattle on my own..you need a back seat passenger and a bumpy road. Seatbelts, those hanging grab handles, stuff in glove box or in the trailer hitch are responsible for temporary insanity in many Wrangler owners. But there must be hundreds of possibilities.

OR

2. Congatulations, your first rattle! In my prior Jeeps (years ago) it it was the opening prelude to a symphony of creaks, rattles and thumps that became, over time, almost soothing.

Little story for everyone’s amusement:

Once (in Philly) we tried and tried for hours, days, but failed to diagnose the weird sound in buddy’s car. We argued passionately about where it was coming from. Tempers flared because we had all heard it over and over so very clearly.

Finally we had a breakthrough: it moved! It was on the left, then nothing, then on the right. It was in the front, then in the back. It wasn’t necessarily when cornering, with speed, from acceleration, bumps, or from braking, but at times any of those could cause the darn noise, from any direction. It was just getting louder, more random, more frequent, and driving us batshit crazy. We spent hours examining every square inch in and under that car looking for something loose, broken, a trapped animal, anything. We never found it. Can you guess?

When a wheel shot past him on the freeway entrance ramp he watched it but it never even occurred to him that it was his own rear wheel. Then he spun out and rolled. Cops who had checked the car said yep, another one! Neighborhood kids were loosening all the lug nuts on peoples street parked cars.

B.rad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator S
Occupation
Purchaser
I had a rattle in the right rear of mine that was driving me crazy, I was sure it was in the rear suspension. I finally tracked it down to one of the safety straps on my tonneau had come loose and on the right bump would hit the inside of the bed.

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
I had a rattle like that in the rear passenger seat area. It was the hard top. I loosened the bolts on the hard top and then tightened back up and it went away. Might be worth a look.
My bet is on this. I had a loose topside bolt on the hardtop that caused the exact same thing.

Sponsored

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave, 2020 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Almost Retired
My Mojave did the same thing. It would rattle in the right rear when I went over bumps. The last time I rotated the tires, I sprayed synthetic lube on all the suspension joints. It went away and has not returned. So mine was in the suspension.

BrooksC

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2 door, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow
You never know what it might be. Mine was the dealer installed Mopar lift that they didn't bother to tighten, much less torque. Had my Jeep shop torque everything. Unbelievable.

MontyC777

First Name
Monty`
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Accounting

Thanks
I had what sounded like my tailgate or something rattling when I went over bumps. After someone sat in the back seat and it got worse, I investigated. It was the backseat seat latches on the seatback. If you take your hand and move the latched back of the seat, mine made the noise I had been hearing. I bought a small rubber hose and split it and put it on the actual bar that the seatback latches to. No more bumping noise.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have one I couldn’t find. Rattle every time I hit a bump. Been there since day one. I finally sat in the driveway and beat on everything until I found it. It is in the steering wheel. Now if I could just make it stop.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sponsored