Sponsored

Narrower tire

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
So I have the Falken Wildpeaks on my JT that I got a day after my Max Tow arrived. I have about 45K on them and getting ready to take a 6K trip around the US. I still have my stock spare so need to replace it with either a 285/70-17 like the Wildpeaks or replace all 4. I really like the BFG tires. Our JK has had 3 sets of the MTR with great results and I run BFG AT on all my work vehicles. Again no issues. My biggest complaint with the Wildpeaks is weight and width. I don't use this Jeep for off road other than backing across the yard to get my car trailer, or a occasional dirt road. I used to run a narrow AT on my old Ramcharger that was great but in 15". In the new metric world what size are folks running on the JT if not the factory 285 ? I'm still debating on the AT vs MTR but really think a narrower tire would be my better option.
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
255/85/17 or 35x10.5x17. There is a thread on the Kenda Klever which has a lot of information, I am currently running the Kendas and they have been excellent, not a single complaint or issue.

OP
OP

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
OK. I had found the 255/70-17 in the BFG AT and the 265/70-17 in the MTR but wasn't sure how much narrower they were. Looking at numbers its hard to justify I guess. Specs show the tires all weigh about the same so guess im not saving much by going to a narrower tire.

ko15870

First Name
ko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee; 2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
System Analyst
I have a set of the falken 255/80/17 for my winter setup. Love it! In the summer I am running a set of 35x10.50x17 Kenda Klevers. I dont think you will be dissapointed going with a narrower tire.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Those Kendra’s used to be a real deal, but the price has gone up significantly. Now they’re not that much cheaper then other brands.

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned the BFG A/Ts, Falken W/P 3's and General A/T x's.
IMHO, they are all good tires off-road, The BFG A/Ts and A/Tx's are also great in snow.
But... the real issue for me next if road noise; and the Gen. A/Tx tires just edge out the BFG's IMO.

Wear wise, the Gen. (& BFGs) have a good consistent wear; the Falkens tend to wear well for a bit, then drop fast and level out again.

Plus; you can usually save about $10-30 per tire for the same size.
Also and sadly, the W/P 3s are more $$ than the others these days.
Sponsored