Sponsored

Near Death Experiences

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
When I was in high school in the late ‘70s, I drove a ’55 M38A1 Willys Mil-surp Jeep. Between my girlfriend’s house and mine was a RR crossing that was pretty steep up and also down the other side. Having been heavily influenced by the old TV series Rat Patrol, which often featured Jeep’s jumping over sand dunes in N Africa (WW2 series) I was determined to “get some air” on these tracks. Each night I hit them a little faster. Finally got a good jump one night. It was wonderful!! That is, until the front bumper dipped and came down hard on the other side. The Jeep bumper hit the pavement first! With no roll bar and no shoulder harness (I had just installed a junk yard rescue seat belt a couple of weeks before) I was very fortunate that the Jeep dropped down onto the wheels rather than flipping over front ways and upside down! Scraped the bottom edge of the bumper badly and bent one of the forward spring mounts. My chest impacted the steering wheel and bent it over, leaving a massive bruise that I hid from my parents for what seemed like weeks.

I learned a lot that night. 17 years old and lucky to see 18 at the time. Just one of several close calls over the years.

Tell me your Near Death Experience......
Jeep Gladiator Near Death Experiences D6896599-F2A8-458A-BB2D-3945D332568F
Sponsored

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
I used to jump my old Toyota off this one area with a perfectly formed dip that gives you a great compression bounce. Scraped the heck out of my plastic air dam but I was young and didn't care.

But as far as near death experiences... crashing my motorcycle, tumbling head first towards a canyon wall at a pretty high speed, stopping less than a foot away from the wall... and living to tell about it.

OP
OP
Empty Pockets

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, don’t get me started on the motorcycles! That’s my titanium rod in the x-Ray. TSA love me when I travel
Jeep Gladiator Near Death Experiences 90BFA1D4-0178-4AA5-AE35-AE12E00440F9

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
You got me beat. I only have some bruised ribs for my troubles.

Sponsored

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 JLU
When I was 19, I ran over an extension ladder in the high speed lane doing 70 on my motorcycle. Blew out the front tire. I had just gotten my motorcycle license the week before and remembered the teacher saying... If anything ever happens, never try to lay the bike down. More people get killed doing that than trying to ride it out and stop.

Soon as the tire blew that popped into my head. Was able to get the bike stopped in the high speed breakdown lane. A guy from work was following me in his truck. He pulled over and said..."Did you sh!t your pants, because I did. I was thinking I was going to have to go back to the office and tell your father I ran over you in the company truck"

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I was married for ten years.....

I had an ex gf who liked to jump her Bronco 2. It was very tippy. More than once I thought we were going to die.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, don’t get me started on the motorcycles! That’s my titanium rod in the x-Ray. TSA love me when I travel
Jeep Gladiator Near Death Experiences 90BFA1D4-0178-4AA5-AE35-AE12E00440F9
A guy I worked with in the 80s as a mechanic rode his motorcycle to work on a regular basis when weather was good. He's the sort that when the clock hit the hour, he was already there. Never came in late.
One day the boss asked where Dan was -none of us had seen him.
We got a call later that a woman had blown a stop sign and cross the 4 lane 163 as Dan was approaching the intersection at about 60. He hit the side of that car, flew headfirst into the side window, flipped up over the car and landed on his feet, crushing both ankles badly.
He was off for quite a few weeks - similar thing, pins, screws, etc. to put things back together until things could heal up.
He even said later that if not for that helmet, his brain would have been mush. Lucky he didn't have a broken neck hitting like that at highway speeds.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
Let's see, I have so many to choose from.
Gun pointed at my head by gang member thinking I was from a rival gang. (16 years old)
Pacific Ocean not allowing me to go back to land And kept taking me out to sea by undertow. (18 years old)
Riding my Motocross bike on a trail alone getting arm pump and not making a turn, flew over a cliff down a ravine. (28 years old)
Trying to move my trailer by hand on a dirt incline in my backyard. Didn't realize once the trailer gets moving it doesn't want to stop. I looked like Superman trying to stop a train while my 11 year old son was watching. Trailer pushed me down until it hit into some old wine barrels. Had those barrels not been there probably would have been crushed by trailer cause I have a stone wall it would have pushed me over then trailer comes crashing down on me. (42 years old)

I included pictures of direction and wall that me and trailer were heading for.
Of course in hindsight I should have just jumped out of the way. Happens so fast.

Screenshot_20210113-105836_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210113-104419_Gallery.jpg

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Let's see, I have so many to choose from.
Gun pointed at my head by gang member thinking I was from a rival gang. (16 years old)
Pacific Ocean not allowing me to go back to land And kept taking me out to sea by undertow. (18 years old)
Riding my Motocross bike on a trail alone getting arm pump and not making a turn, flew over a cliff down a ravine. (28 years old)
Trying to move my trailer by hand on a dirt incline in my backyard. Didn't realize once the trailer gets moving it doesn't want to stop. I looked like Superman trying to stop a train while my 11 year old son was watching. Trailer pushed me down until it hit into some old wine barrels. Had those barrels not been there probably would have been crushed by trailer cause I have a stone wall it would have pushed me over then trailer comes crashing down on me. (42 years old)

I included pictures of direction and wall that me and trailer were heading for.
Of course in hindsight I should have just jumped out of the way. Happens so fast.

Jeep Gladiator Near Death Experiences Screenshot_20210113-104419_Gallery

Jeep Gladiator Near Death Experiences Screenshot_20210113-104419_Gallery
you win, dude

Sponsored

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
I was 17 and my younger brothers and I decided to swim out to the end of a pier in Lake Michigan.... they did it very easily, so I did it, I got to the end, got too tired could barely triead water, I tried pushing off the bottom and hold breath at same time luckily my instinct was to yell help... don’t remember much else but my younger brothers got me and pulled me in. Luckily there was a firefighter there that gave me cpr till I puked out water and I woke up. Then paramedics came and took me to hospital made sure I didn’t dry drown. Learned a lot that day I won’t mess with water... never go in water that I can’t touch with my head over.

Sorry it’s not vehicle related

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I got my lift/wheels/tires installed with only 700 miles on my truck without telling my wife 1st...
Haha... there was a time when my wife came home, looked in the garage, then walked off without saying a word. I was counting the seconds I had left to live.

(Bought a Harley without telling her)

OP
OP
Empty Pockets

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did it have a solo seat? May as well😆