Sponsored

[need help] downgrading GPEC5 ECM/Harness hardware to GPEC2a?

Ram.Sh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2022
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate it if you could help me with much-needed information.

My goal: install Prodigy Turbo Kit for my Jeep JT Gladiator 3.6L 2022.

The problem: ECM GPEC5 has no unlocking solution, and from my email exchanges with HPTuner, its not clear when or if an unlocked version will be available.

My question is: a workaround solution of replacing the ECM GPEC5 to GPEC2a and the engine wiring harness from an early Gladiator 2021 could solve that?

I've found more than a few used Gladiator's GPEC2a for sale, and some harnesses (not sure which is the correct part number, I'll dive deep into it if I know for sure this workaround is, well, workable)

Does anyone have any experience with downgrading the EMC/Harness hardware? is it doable? is there anything else I need to take into account that I'm missing at the moment?

Many thanks in advance for any thought/advice/tip that could help me install the kit on my beloved Gladiator!
Cheers to all!
Best,
Ram
Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
The problem you will have is the VIN source address security. At each key on the controllers are sequenced with a security address that rolls. If this sequence is not met and the VIN is not correct, then the system locks out the engine controller.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
If HP Tuners has hit a bump/delay in unlock/cracking and you are not ok with waiting. It’s likely going to be quicker to trade your gladiator in for a 2021. I realize how insane that sounds. Buuuuut pretty sure you aren’t going to find a quicker solution.

OP
OP
Ram.Sh

Ram.Sh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2022
@Escape.idiocrac, thank you for replying!

the thought had crossed my mind, and I've looked for what in the market, I have two issues with it. First, there are not so many gladiators on my side of the woods. The second, this is a brand new vehicle, less than a 1K mile (it costs $135K here, and that for the only model they import, which is the most basic model), I will lose a lot of value doing it, did I mention its a brand new vehicle? :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ram.Sh

Ram.Sh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2022
@DAVECS1, Thanks much for your input. From reading around, your knowledgeable information is priceless!

I'm new to this so pls let me know if I understand you correctly:
At each key on the controllers
by controllers, do you mean the ones to which the engine wiring harness is connected? and those controllers send the hardcoded VIN number as part of the data package to the ECM, and the replaced ECM has a different hardcoded VIN number, and when the two don't match, the system locks the engine. is that correct?

[added later] not hardcoded but a rolling number?

Last edited:

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
@DAVECS1, Thanks much for your input. From reading around, your knowledgeable information is priceless!

I'm new to this so pls let me know if I understand you correctly:

by controllers, do you mean the ones to which the engine wiring harness is connected? and those controllers send the hardcoded VIN number as part of the data package to the ECM, and the replaced ECM has a different hardcoded VIN number, and when the two don't match, the system locks the engine. is that correct?

[added later] not hardcoded but a rolling number?
So your jeep has a body control module, transmission control module, if it is automatic, entertainment radio, havac panel, evic, shifter and steering wheel controls. They all have a rolling security address, that is expected to be set at start up. If one returns a wring address the jeep goes into security lock down.

If you load an older ECM with the wrong VIN this will also cause a lock down. I have not found d a way outside of chrysler to overwrite a VIN.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
@Escape.idiocrac, thank you for replying!

the thought had crossed my mind, and I've looked for what in the market, I have two issues with it. First, there are not so many gladiators on my side of the woods. The second, this is a brand new vehicle, less than a 1K mile (it costs $135K here, and that for the only model they import, which is the most basic model), I will lose a lot of value doing it, did I mention its a brand new vehicle? :)
Inquiring would like to know your location. $135K for a JT is steep.

OP
OP
Ram.Sh

Ram.Sh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2022
So your jeep has a body control module, transmission control module, if it is automatic, entertainment radio, havac panel, evic, shifter and steering wheel controls. They all have a rolling security address, that is expected to be set at start up. If one returns a wring address the jeep goes into security lock down.

If you load an older ECM with the wrong VIN this will also cause a lock down. I have not found d a way outside of chrysler to overwrite a VIN.
Thanks much for the detailed reply, sounds like a task for a hardware reverse engineer... in any case, from your input I get this is a brick wall.

OP
OP
Ram.Sh

Ram.Sh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2022
Inquiring would like to know your location. $135K for a JT is steep.
I'm from IL the country, not the state, stuff here is extremely expensive, all imported cars and motorcycles need to pay tax between 114% and up to 129% depending on engine displacement and pollution... fun.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I'm from IL the country, not the state, stuff here is extremely expensive, all imported cars and motorcycles need to pay tax between 114% and up to 129% depending on engine displacement and pollution... fun.
FYI, IL= Israel

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ram.Sh

Ram.Sh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2022

in my (apparently naive) quest to replace the ECM, I'm also in contact with Prodigy Performance, the following is one suggestion that I'd love to hear your thought about this:

You have to replace the Engine harness and body harness.
You would have to check and see if they would be plug and play. If so it may work as they sold both controllers.
Food for thought.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
in my (apparently naive) quest to replace the ECM, I'm also in contact with Prodigy Performance, the following is one suggestion that I'd love to hear your thought about this:
Think this is pretty much answered in post 6 by David.

OP
OP
Ram.Sh

Ram.Sh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2022
Think this is pretty much answered in post 6 by David.
I have zero understanding of those systems, so apologies. What the guy from Prodigy added to the discussion is the body harness, so I'm asking if the engine wiring harness is connected to the body harness (and if so, do the controllers part of the body harness)?

again, sorry for my ELI5 level, just trying to learn and find a potentially workable solution.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I have zero understanding of those systems, so apologies. What the guy from Prodigy added to the discussion is the body harness, so I'm asking if the engine wiring harness is connected to the body harness (and if so, do the controllers part of the body harness)?

again, sorry for my ELI5 level, just trying to learn and find a potentially workable solution.
This is above my pay grade. LOL The way David explained it. On start up. All the control modules talk to the ECU. If there is something wrong with the vin number security code. The system goes into lock down. I don't know if using an old ECU does what to the system.