First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I had my 18 JLUR stabilizer replaced by my Montana dealer before I towed the Jeep to Arizona. I've driven about 1000 miles since I arrive here and the steering seemed to be getting worse. I took a look at the stabilizer and sure enough, wrong way install. I took it in to the local Jeep dealer today and they explained they were not the cause of the problem and the original dealer should be responsible for fixing. After a bit of discussion they inspected the vehicle and found the stabilizer was still upside down. They took it into their shop and after an hour it came back nice and clean with the same old stabilizer the right way. I spoke with the service manager who informed me they inspected the stabilizer and it was OK. I explained that my research indicated it may have suffered damage and should have been replaced with a new one. I requested he contact Jeep for guidance and he told me he would get back to me. I'd appreciate any info forum members could give me on this. Thanks
Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Hit up Jeep Cares on the forum. In a worst case, they are $28 and $8 shipping when I replaced my own through an online dealer. I was able to submit to FCA for reimbursement though I'm sure yours is in their systems as "fixed" and wouldn't allow a reimbursement.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Regarding the V41 recall, has anybody posted pictures on our forum of the steering stabilizer before recall, the new steering stabilizer installed incorrectly, and the new steering stabilizer installed correctly? These would be very useful to those of us still facing this recall to ensure correct installation.

Thanks!

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I had my 18 JLUR stabilizer replaced by my Montana dealer before I towed the Jeep to Arizona. I've driven about 1000 miles since I arrive here and the steering seemed to be getting worse. I took a look at the stabilizer and sure enough, wrong way install. I took it in to the local Jeep dealer today and they explained they were not the cause of the problem and the original dealer should be responsible for fixing. After a bit of discussion they inspected the vehicle and found the stabilizer was still upside down. They took it into their shop and after an hour it came back nice and clean with the same old stabilizer the right way. I spoke with the service manager who informed me they inspected the stabilizer and it was OK. I explained that my research indicated it may have suffered damage and should have been replaced with a new one. I requested he contact Jeep for guidance and he told me he would get back to me. I'd appreciate any info forum members could give me on this. Thanks
We are happy to look into this for you! Can you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership? Thanks!

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Reactions: GtX
OP
OP
MtCamper

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Thank for the assist, I wasn't expecting your involvement but thank you. PM sent

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding the V41 recall, has anybody posted pictures on our forum of the steering stabilizer before recall, the new steering stabilizer installed incorrectly, and the new steering stabilizer installed correctly? These would be very useful to those of us still facing this recall to ensure correct installation.

Thanks!
No need. There is a label on the new one that says ā€œFront of Jeepā€ with and arrow.

So, if the arrow is pointing in the right direction youā€™ll know.

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
OP
OP
MtCamper

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Just received this from Jeep Cares. Guess there is no damage from installing upside down.

Thanks for following up. We are happy to help!

If it is worse with the stabilizer, it would be a good idea to go into the dealership for a diagnosis. Are you planning on going back?
When the stabilizer is installed upside down, it can be reinstalled right side up. No damage would be caused from flipping it.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Just received this from Jeep Cares. Guess there is no damage from installing upside down.

Thanks for following up. We are happy to help!

If it is worse with the stabilizer, it would be a good idea to go into the dealership for a diagnosis. Are you planning on going back?
When the stabilizer is installed upside down, it can be reinstalled right side up. No damage would be caused from flipping it.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
I truly hope you've had no damage, but I don't think they understand there could be possible damage if driven with the new stabilizer installed improperly.

This is is a rather reckless and careless response from them. It's not a damn Lego set.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I just got my V41 done so Jeep would stop bothering me about the damn recall, but it looks like they've revised the stickers even further. Instead of a vertical arrow pointing towards the front, they've got it pointing to the side now to indicate which end goes in at the tie rod.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I truly hope you've had no damage, but I don't think they understand there could be possible damage if driven with the new stabilizer installed improperly.

This is is a rather reckless and careless response from them. It's not a damn Lego set.
V41 is a steering

How does incorrect installation damage the unit? Does it allow interference?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I just got my V41 done so Jeep would stop bothering me about the damn recall, but it looks like they've revised the stickers even further. Instead of a vertical arrow pointing towards the front, they've got it pointing to the side now to indicate which end goes in at the tie rod.
the Chipmunks at some dealerships will still get it wrong. It will be the same Chippies that put six quarts into a JL 3.6. They just got promoted from oil tech to junior tech Chippy.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
V41 is a steering

How does incorrect installation damage the unit? Does it allow interference?
The bulge should be at the bottom to allow for improved fluid flow... that was pretty much the problem with the original part. I can't say with certainty that improper installation would cause damage... only that it could.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...jl-death-wobble-5000-miles.39154/#post-867096
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...led-upside-down-club.39327/page-2#post-883866
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...bble-until-after-v41.40601/page-2#post-898446
Sponsored