Brettd03

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
Hi all-

New owner as of last Friday. Love the Jeep, but today was a bad day.

I arrived at work today and parked as far away as possible (corporate building lot), and turns out, I'd have been better off parking between two cars and took my chances with a door ding! Long story short- I got hit and run 99.9% sure by a landscape company plow truck. It moved my car out of the spot, but luckily was only steel bumper damage. I'm going to have a full inspection done.

My question- as mentioned, the impact moved the Jeep and turned the wheels. Do other 18-19 owners steering wheel lock in place when in park? Sitting with the car in park, I can turn the wheel- which doesn't seem normal, but again- this is my first Jeep. Do they have column lock?

I drove it home, and everything seems to be fine, but now worried about steering column etc.

Appreciate confirmation, and hope my next post is a happier one!

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Brettd03

Get a new bumper courtesy of your insurance and that JL will be good as new. Do get it checked out properly.

Reality is you are lucky as a bumper is easy to replace. He could have taken out your fender, door, etc..

It is a shame it happened, but again, get a new bumper and all is well.

Do come back and frequent the forum. You can learn lots here about your new JL.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Brettd03

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
@Brettd03

Get a new bumper courtesy of your insurance and that JL will be good as new. Do get it checked out properly.

Reality is you are lucky as a bumper is easy to replace. He could have taken out your fender, door, etc..

It is a shame it happened, but again, get a new bumper and all is well.

Do come back and frequent the forum. You can learn lots here about your new JL.
100% agree. Thankful body panels weren’t damaged.

Thanks again all

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Ouch! Man that really sucks. Sorry.

Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
That's a hard hit to move your Jeep like that. Get checked put, insurance is paying.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
@Brettd03 : so disgusted am I at your misfortune that I need new language to describe it.

I am ….. "incensed-by-proxy" about this. The rig's brand new, the snow plow driver had to know he hit you, and yet proceeded on.

In a moment of karma, somewhere out there a court case exists where a dash cam has picked up this activity and the judge, so outraged at the lack of regard of the plow driver, has sentence him to a month in jail and 8 months of weekends in jail to send a message to the plow driver and others who might consider acting in suit that this behavior is unacceptable.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
I had a boat on a trailer knocked sideways in the boat yard once. Wheel came loose on the road not long after that, so I’d say check those lug nuts yourself pretty soon. Maybe it was related, maybe not but it doesn’t hurt to check.

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I try not to park next to other people unless they are Jeeps but a decent set of metal rock slides will help with the door ding issue. If someone does decide to open their door and hit your vehicle you can be rest assured that they would hit the slides and most likely did some damage to their own door. Not the best position to be in no matter who you are but might be something to consider.

Now the way I think about this bumper issue is, if it goes to your insurance and you take it to the dealer to be fixed, there is a good chance of it being labelled as a front end collision and end up on your vehicles Carfax. So in 5 years when you are selling it the value is going to be less than one that did not have that on their Carfax.

What I might suggest is to pull the two ends off the bumper off, fix that plastic piece, and touch up any scratches on the remaining bumper. At that point you are basically back to new and as much as it sucks, you have a story to go along with any small scratches. That doesn't really do much to make you whole but the Jeep will know you care :)

If you do go through the insurance and depending on your deductible you may be better off putting whatever you get toward something new or maybe even the same bumper but someones "new" takeoff.

Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all-

New owner as of last Friday. Love the Jeep, but today was a bad day.

I arrived at work today and parked as far away as possible (corporate building lot), and turns out, I'd have been better off parking between two cars and took my chances with a door ding! Long story short- I got hit and run 99.9% sure by a landscape company plow truck. It moved my car out of the spot, but luckily was only steel bumper damage. I'm going to have a full inspection done.

My question- as mentioned, the impact moved the Jeep and turned the wheels. Do other 18-19 owners steering wheel lock in place when in park? Sitting with the car in park, I can turn the wheel- which doesn't seem normal, but again- this is my first Jeep. Do they have column lock?

I drove it home, and everything seems to be fine, but now worried about steering column etc.

Appreciate confirmation, and hope my next post is a happier one!

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg
Time for a new bumper anyway.

JEEP1.JPG
Sponsored