New Alternative To Roof Top Tent?

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
I came across that on one of the forums. I think for a lot of us it would be impractical to get down a trail and the videos I saw made it look rather fragile. Definitely cool someone is thinking outside of the box (to create another box?).

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I like that people are looking at new creative ways and I think for offloading it might not be bad depending on build quality. From a offroad stand point is LCG and isnt adding height to the vehicle, but dose add to departure angle. However not sure how much that matters from a Overlanding stand point.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
I'll pass...

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Man, that thing would likely wobble so bad off-road Iā€™d be afraid it would smash itself to bits. Nice idea for a Subaru at the beach, but not for a Jeep off-road.

Sponsored

Shaddrach

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover 110 Defender
Man, that thing would likely wobble so bad off-road Iā€™d be afraid it would smash itself to bits. Nice idea for a Subaru at the beach, but not for a Jeep off-road.
I donā€™t know what it weighs, but probably less than my 600lb motorcycle that never had any issues. Iā€™d be more worried about the terrible departure angle and ripping it off that way.

AdrenalineRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2; 2019 Ford F350 CC SB
For use on an off road vehicle, I can't think of a dirtier, dustier place to put your living quarters. That thing would be absolutely filthy by the end of the day, when you need to use it.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
This would work for me if you took it off the hitch and put it in the bed. Adding a few more feet to a small slide in camper would be great for a truck with a 5 foot bed.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
I like that people are looking at new creative ways and I think for offloading it might not be bad depending on build quality. From a offroad stand point is LCG and isnt adding height to the vehicle, but dose add to departure angle. However not sure how much that matters from a Overlanding stand point.
Any trailer adds departure angle. Park it somewhere and make camp before you go wheeling. That usually works.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Bed rack receiver hitch maybe. šŸ™‚ It probably doesn't weigh even 150lbs. /70 kg. But it's a interesting idea nonetheless. But if I keep "down sizing" my accommodations I'll be down to my mtn bike, hammock only or boots n rucksack again. šŸ˜²