Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Thats good to hear. What is the best coupon you have seen for HF that would work on this?

I actually have some trees that fell down into others I need to bring down. Trying to justify buying one so I can take care of yard work. lol

Then having it for insurance on the trail will be a benifit.
$599.00 is what I paid and haven’t seen it for less, yet. I’ve a Warn VR10-S on our JLR that I paid $1k for and the HF comes with more options so, even at $599, it’s a good deal.

The good news is the Warn winch plate is a lot cheaper now than when I installed my 10S on the JLR. With the HF 12K, and Warn plate, I’m still $200 less than what a 10S costs by itself!

Cmp8254

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I have the factory steel bumper, do I still need a winch plate to install a winch? If so, any recommendations?

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
IMG_5975.jpeg
IMG_1880.jpeg
Apex winch power controller.jpeg
What you need:

1. WARN 101255 Winch Mount Plate for 18-19 Jeep JT/JL with Factory Steel Bumper = $273.99 @ Quadratec
  2. Harbor Freight Apex 12k winch = $599.00 with coupon
  3. Harbor Freight 6 Ft. Inverter Cable Set - SKU #63747, #2 AWG = $30.00 with 20% off coupon
  4. Home Depot metric M8-1.25 zinc flange nuts x6 = .72 cents (re-using steel bumper hex bolts to cover holes in bumper)
  5. Deep sockets and short sockets - 13mm, 16mm, and 18mm
  6. Jeep Hex bits
  7. Metric allen keys

Steps to remove bumper:
  1. Remove lower skid plate with 13mm socket
  2. Remove plastic spacer between bumper and grill (discard)
  3. Disconnect foglight coupling on the passenger side of the bumper frame rail
  4. Remove 8x18mm bumper bolts with a deep socket
  5. Remove winch cutout panel but keep hex screws for dress up after the install
  6. Install Warn winch plate per instructions

Prepping Apex for control box removal:
  1. Follow instructions to remove control box enclosure from top of the winch
  2. Completely disassemble enclosure
  3. Take wireless switch and winch control wired plug receptacle out of the enclosure
    • Note: winch plug receptacle wires use Siamese blade connectors to the electronic controller. Just disconnect each wire at the siamese blade connector to pull wires through enclosure hole
  4. Optional: use electrical tape to clean up loose wires and strengthen connections

Install winch to the winch plate
Note: if you want to get your hands inside the bumper do not bolt winch to plate yet, just make sure the anchor nuts on the winch are secured with tape so they don’t fall out while you're futzing with the bumper nuts. You’re going to be under the winch plate lining up your winch after your bumper is secure so if those nuts fall out you’ll need to remove the bumper to get to them.​

Electrical install
  1. With the 6 Ft. Inverter Cable Set connect wires (Red, Yellow, Black) to winch terminals using enclosure delete kit that comes with the Apex winch; run cables along passenger frame rail up to battery
  2. Connect wires to winch control block
  3. Tuck controller box between passenger fender and battery
  4. Connect power wire to control block
  5. Connect ground to the battery
  6. Test wired/wireless controller on the free spool (hold controller wireless button for 3 seconds to turn on)
Would you say this is better than the smitty built gen 3 arc 12000? Right now that winch is $50 less.

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU and 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I have the factory steel bumper, do I still need a winch plate to install a winch? If so, any recommendations?
You will need a winch plate. Mopar, American Trail Products, Rugged Ridge, and I think JCR make the plates. My guess is they all work. I ordered the $229 RR but only because Quadratec was saying the $199 ATP wouldn't ship until January and Amazon will have the RR here by Wednesday.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sorbs

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
  1. WARN 101255 Winch Mount Plate for 18-19 Jeep JT/JL with Factory Steel Bumper = $273.99 @Quadratec
Yes, you will need the plate. The steel bumper is like a hubcap. It covers the frame rails and allows a winch line to pass through the front cutout. A winch plate mounts between the frame rails.

OP
OP
Sorbs

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
7A4C4FDE-6820-419C-A5E2-8314DA56D06F.jpeg
DFA01863-B5C7-4F72-8DAD-2DCFA51CD09A.jpeg
2FF3CF3B-B78A-4295-ABD8-3FCEE7B51852.jpeg
You will need a winch plate. Mopar, American Trail Products, Rugged Ridge, and I think JCR make the plates. My guess is they all work. I ordered the $229 RR but only because Quadratec was saying the $199 ATP wouldn't ship until January and Amazon will have the RR here by Wednesday.
Stay away from the JCR. As others have pointed out and I’ve experienced they bend.

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Phew! Glad I didn't grab the JCR.

@Sorbs
Did you mount the control solenoid in the passenger fender? Did you remove the inner fender liner to get in there?

I hid the solenoid on my 2012 JK Call of Duty but it fit on top of the battery, not doable with the JT so just hoping to get more info on the fender (under the battery? ) option.

OP
OP
Sorbs

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Phew! Glad I didn't grab the JCR.

@Sorbs
Did you mount the control solenoid in the passenger fender? Did you remove the inner fender liner to get in there?

I hid the solenoid on my 2012 JK Call of Duty but it fit on top of the battery, not doable with the JT so just hoping to get more info on the fender (under the battery? ) option.
No removal required. There is room between the battery and fender to lay the solenoid on its side and wire all the cables from the winch to the battery. The space between the fender and battery is carpeted and stays dry.

Compared to the external winch mounted Apex solenoid cover this is a much better place for the wiring. The cover that sits on top of the winch really isn’t weather proof.

I also have the wired remote cable running from the engine bay into the cab if I ever need to use it too.

Sponsored

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Sorbs
Thank you. I'm mounting mine that way. Agreed that the box should be more weather protected.

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can get the Warn plate from amazon prime :CWL:
True, but it was $43 more than the RR and I didn't see any valid complaints about the Rugged Ridge.
I mean, damn, I spent over $3000 in Jeep stuff yesterday, I'll take a few $ back in my pocket when I can.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The ZXR12000 is on sale for $289 right now. It's not as fancy looking as the brand new Apex version but it's still a hell of a winch and you can't beat the price.

DirtyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
The ZXR12000 is on sale for $289 right now. It's not as fancy looking as the brand new Apex version but it's still a hell of a winch and you can't beat the price.
Where at for that price?