New engine replacement on 2021 3.6

outdrluvr28

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
So after all the crap that’s been going one with my Gladiator, turns out I have the have a new engine dropped in. My JT has 58k miles so I was at least happy powertrain would cover it. The deal ship, however, sent me a picture text of black oil on the oil filter and said there was “sludge” in it so it would not be covered in warranty. I’ve always had the oil changes 3k-6k miles but of course my dumb@ss didn’t hold receipts. So $10k later- this is happening. Is there a way I can get them to actually prove MY motor that is now outside of the gladiator actually had this issue? (It’s my daily so I told them to proceed with engine swap). But after reading around I’m worried they are trying to screw me.
I’m 40 years old and know how to take care of a vehicle.
Sponsored

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
Sorry for your troubles. A bit of sludge in the oil filter makes sense it filters the oil. Should be more aggressive the oil they dumped is what matters not the oil filter. I buy my stuff through Amazon for this exact purpose. Receipts are easy to pull up if needed.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
I’d be raising hell. That’s what the warranty is for. Does it have oil in it? Yes? Ok, fix it. Do they say what caused the sludge? They have to prove you did something wrong don’t they?

OP
OP
outdrluvr28

outdrluvr28

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry for your troubles. A bit of sludge in the oil filter makes sense it filters the oil. Should be more aggressive the oil they dumped is what matters not the oil filter. I buy my stuff through Amazon for this exact purpose. Receipts are easy to pull up if needed.
thanks man. That’s why I’m curious. Until I can produce proof. Is there a way to make them prove sludge? Now that the engines been pulled out I’m sure they “already got rid of the motor”.
I regret not digging into this a lot more, I just need my vehicle

Sponsored

OP
OP
outdrluvr28

outdrluvr28

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d be raising hell. That’s what the warranty is for. Does it have oil in it? Yes? Ok, fix it. Do they say what caused the sludge? They have to prove you did something wrong don’t they?
Man I don’t know. That’s why I’m curious. The service advisor sent me a text asking when was the last time I changed my oil then sent me a pic of the oil filter. I hate dealerships so I’m sure they would find a way to “prove” it. Ya know?

dmwphoto

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
that looks bad. When was it changed last?

Sponsored

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Here is the picture they text me.

Jeep Gladiator New engine replacement on 2021 3.6 5E7476F5-ECC9-4B91-A268-D9063C791E78
Where did you had it changed. To get sludge, they might have had skip 1 or 2 filters replacement or even oils. I don't trust any place like Jiffy Lube type of places. They won't turns people away regardless if they has filters instock or not.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah, that is not a MOPAR filter. I have used non MOPAR jobber filters and none of them came out looking like that.

Filter looks like it has maybe not been changed for a couple of services. These engines are not known for sludging unless the oil changing has been neglected. You might have issue with whatever shop that claims they did your oil changes.

Did you get any of the Jeep Wave oil change services done? Dealership should have a record of that and it would at least be a hard record you started out at least taking care of it before switching to another shop.
Sponsored

Last edited: