Sponsored

New guy here - doing research on Gladiators which will be my first Jeep.

rbryant76

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon
So let me start off by saying this place is a great resource. I currently drive a 2018 Ford Edge sport, that I will be in turn giving my wife and we will be trading in her 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk. (We wont be upside down on the trade). We got hers about 1.5 years ago. She prefers my car over hers, and well I had an F150 for 8 years and miss having some sort of truck. I do know the Gladiator is nothing like an F150.

The gladiator will give me some utility but then also have an aspect of fun to it.

I pretty much want everything in a Rubicon, I could deal without the steel bumper and maybe the dual top. I am finding a lot around me dont offer the dual top option . That being said, I take it, it's fairly easy to just buy an OEM one after the fact? I would definitely be switching to a soft top during summer months. Maybe the dealer will throw one in? Not sure of the likely hood of that.

I almost would prefer non matching fenders and the black hard top for some contrast. But its a good look either way.

I thought maybe the trail cam could help with parking (objects in front) but have read some say its not as easy as simply tapping a button to swap to front camera..you have to navigate the 4x4 page, etc..

There is a pretty loaded Red one near me for what appears 5k below MSRP this pricing would put it around 4% below invoice. ($54,546 on dealer's site - I am going to reach out to them tomorrow)

https://www.jeep.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6JJTBGXLL142993

What are some things you would tell a new owner, now that you have had yours for a while?

Anything I should look out for on these, etc?
Sponsored

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
So let me start off by saying this place is a great resource. I currently drive a 2018 Ford Edge sport, that I will be in turn giving my wife and we will be trading in her 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk. (We wont be upside down on the trade). We got hers about 1.5 years ago. She prefers my car over hers, and well I had an F150 for 8 years and miss having some sort of truck. I do know the Gladiator is nothing like an F150.

The gladiator will give me some utility but then also have an aspect of fun to it.

I pretty much want everything in a Rubicon, I could deal without the steel bumper and maybe the dual top. I am finding a lot around me dont offer the dual top option . That being said, I take it, it's fairly easy to just buy an OEM one after the fact? I would definitely be switching to a soft top during summer months. Maybe the dealer will throw one in? Not sure of the likely hood of that.

I almost would prefer non matching fenders and the black hard top for some contrast. But its a good look either way.

I thought maybe the trail cam could help with parking (objects in front) but have read some say its not as easy as simply tapping a button to swap to front camera..you have to navigate the 4x4 page, etc..

There is a pretty loaded Red one near me for what appears 5k below MSRP this pricing would put it around 4% below invoice. ($54,546 on dealer's site - I am going to reach out to them tomorrow)

https://www.jeep.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6JJTBGXLL142993

What are some things you would tell a new owner, now that you have had yours for a while?

you can move the trail camera button to a fast select bar, you can do this with any of the functions in the menus.

OP
OP

rbryant76

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon
you can move the trail camera button to a fast select bar, you can do this with any of the functions in the menus.
I was wondering if you could do that, you can move controls in the wife's Cherokee so this is good to know.

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
I thought I did not want a steel bumper, until I did not have it :) There are a few mounting options and I started going off-road.

All I would say is have a blast! Has mine since 5/3 and never looked back. I've not even been on my motorcycle over the summer as a result.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester

I would be very surprised, shocked really, if a dealer had a dual top sitting on the lot. It is an expensive upgrade and doubtful they would have a lot of luck selling it. I got the dual top because I didn't want to wait any longer to order my color and it was the only way to get the hard top at that time. It is much better to order it that option as the premium soft top is listed as around $1900 from Mopar. When I did the math it added about $1200 or so to my cost at order. I am not really sure when or if an aftermarket top will be coming. There really hasn't been any hint of one that I have heard.
I got the trail cam. I like it. As mentioned above you can move a button to the quick launch bar or it is in the "controls" section. So at most 2 clicks to get to it. I have used it in garages to park.
There are so many aftermarket bumpers to choose from I didn't feel any reason to get the factory steel bumper. I agree it does look nice but at what? $600 for the option plus 2 to 3 hundred for a winch plate it is pretty expensive. But again, some people think it looks better than any of the aftermarket ones so whatever makes you happy on that one.
If you are not in a hurry to get it, I suggest ordering. It seems that FCA are doing better with getting the orders out now. I got mine in exactly 5 1/2 weeks from order date which seems to be pretty common. Yes, there are some folks on here waiting much longer than that but it doesn't seem to be the norm. That way you can get it exactly how you want it. And you can usually shop around and get a good deal as many dealers will discount an order more than something on their lot.

Good luck, I am sure you will love it when you get it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

rbryant76

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon
You know, ordering might be the way to go. Dont have to keep searching and searching..and I dont need it "now"

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Yep, order exactly what you want. Mine took about five, six weeks to arrive.

As for the top, couple options. One is to order dual tops, but pricey. Other is to find someone who bought off lot, but doesn't want the soft top. I scored a brand new, in-the-box, top for my JK for $500 back around 2007. Finally, there will be aftermarket tops which you might find better suited, In fact, I actually have three tops for my JK, including the hard top, the soft top, and a safari top. The safari tops are cool, providing protection from the sun, but plenty of open air experience otherwise when you remove the doors. I believe that the Gladiator can simulate this experience with its redesigned soft top. Some tops are more of a fine mesh.

Hard top on my JK (there might be a few mods to my top, LOL) ...
Alaska Trip, May-Jul 16, Ray's Pics, 1_6161, Dalton Highway.jpg

Soft top on my JK (it isn't modified) ...
Moab Trip, Apr-May 10, Jeff's Images, 0038, Mark on Kenny's Hill.jpg

Mopar Sunbonnet safari top (with Bestop Windjammer and Duster) ...
TX-AZ-CA Trip, Sep 10, 4825, Schnebly Hill Road.jpg

Jeep, no top, no doors ...
Jeep at Stanley Draper Lake, Mar 07, 8941.jpg

Gladiator with Premium soft top and bed tonneau cover (fabrics match perfectly). I've only had it a week and a half, so give me a little time to get some top off pics. ;-)
Gladiator, Nov 19, 5_3596, In Front of Boundary Restaurant.jpg

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

Everybody has their own needs. So it's impossible to really tell another guy what he should buy.

But, for ME personally, I feel like the hard top is the best option because then you get factory installed wiring for the defroster. And, I feel like the Max Towing package is a must because without it you lose a LOT of utility, and without utility why are you buying a truck? Right? So those are a couple of things that I'd be looking for.

I also LOVE the Cold Weather package. That heated steering wheel has been GREAT with the single digit temperatures we've had lately.

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
You know, ordering might be the way to go. Dont have to keep searching and searching..and I dont need it "now"
Your mileage WILL vary. I ordered a month ago, still in D1 status. Unless a miracle occurs with instantaneous teleportation to the dealer, it's not going to be 5-6 weeks.

DoneDeal

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I was the same way. Always played around with the idea of Havel g a Jeep. I have always had trucks and suvs. I love working on vehicles and customizing them my way. There’s not too many other vehicles that have This many quality aftermarket parts options for almost anything.

I still need a truck so when the JT came out I took the leap.

I didn’t want to spoil my first Jeep experience so I got a loaded out Rubicon. The Launch has a few minor interior trim upgrades I thought Put it over the top. I love it. I can’t say it will always be my primary vehicle but I will hold on to it for a while. My kids love it.

Sponsored

Jensen66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
First off, a perhaps premature welcome to the family, it is really a cool community and i trust you will enjoy the experience.

I am a bit spoiled, went full on in for the launch edition and passed down my 2012 wrangler to my son (he is not complaining!).

Thinking about options on a Jeep is really all about your starting point as most of us will end up doing things to our Jeeps to accommodate our own interests, that’s part of what makes them so cool to begin with. Tires and wheels are a common first add but staring with the Rubicon should help you put that off until you decide you need something different.

My view is to focus on what would be hard, expensive or just better as factory installed first. I agree with previous comment on cold weather group (I am in Atlanta area and love having the heated seats and steering wheel, especially when i do remote start and they are already on) and look at that as something that probably cannot be added later. I think there are after market cameras but i like the front camera on mine and recommend the factory version (which comes with a little washer fluid sprayer to clean it which is cool). Leather seats, body color hard top, remote start, tow package, anything in the electronics - prioritize what you cant do aftermarket later.

When thinking about the things you can do later, think about what her you are going to want your Jeep to be unique or are you ok with the “stock” look. I like the steel front bumper and the winch sits in it so cleanly it looks like it was factory installed. On the wrangler i had an after market bumper put on and, along with other add’s, my wrangler was specifically identifiable to me because of my specific mods.

Last point, think about what you will use the most. For me I am city driving Monday to Friday and country on the weekends. That means creature comforts for my commute are real important and add to my enjoyment of the vehicle (car play, leather, adaptive cruise control, etc). The capabilities of the vehicle on the weekends is what then sets it apart. Getting the already loaded launch edition allows me to start way out front on all this stuff, added the winch immediately (and have used it), installing the hard trifold tonneau cover today and next on to lighting.

I hope you get the chance to really enjoy the Jeep experience. It is a bit different for everyone, there are a lot of Jeeps out there built for the wild but that will never see dirt much less mud. All good, they enjoy the open air driving and add to the demand for after market parts. But those of us who will take it off road, whether hard core trail riding or just to get off the beaten path, develop a special bond with the vehicle that is hard to beat. Of course, all you have to do in Ohio is wait for the next snowfall!

Best of luck and post pics when you get it!

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer

So - I like the steel bumper, you can bump it into stuff and not damage it. I've tapped a couple of trees with mine, plus it integrates really nicely with a winch. I have the painted flares and almost ripped one off - no damage to it other than a broken trim clip. They do not scratch easily and I like the look - I did want a black top as I felt the Jeep needed some contrast.

Soft top is much easier to retrofit than a hard top as if you get one without hard top, it doesn't come wired for the rear defog. If you don't care about that, then either one is fine. Hard top is also more expensive to retrofit unless you find someone selling a take-off. I only have the hard top as I found it too much of a pita to swap tops and store the hard top somewhere during summer. I think I may just get a sunrider and call it good.

One option I wish I'd gotten is the trail cam, but that may be because I have pretty much every other option. The only option I probably wouldn't bother with is the hard top headliner and bluetooth speaker. I don't have the BT speaker but it honestly seems kind of pointless. Love the trail rail setup. Hate that the inverter requires the ignition to be on, major major PITA when camping. Means I have to either go and turn the ACC on every 20 minutes or leave the truck idling. Sucks, should have the option to turn on and leave on. I don't use it for much, just charging electronics and running a few led lights in my tent, but I'm going to have to either re-wire it to do that or carry my separate inverter (which I was hoping to avoid).

Mine is currently in the shop waiting for a new auto trans, went kaput at 14k miles. Otherwise love it and wish I could get it back, but they're telling me a few weeks, unfortunately. I have a ram rebel in the meantime, much prefer the gladiator. Easier to maneuver, easier to see out of, more comfortable and gets 3mpg better with similar payload and towing. Rebel has more power, but that's about it.

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
Welcome to the forum! If you are looking for a fun, but practical, truck you are definitely a Gladiator customer!
Mine is a Sport S with manual, 7.5 radio, cold weather group (love this), the safety/convenience pkg (16 yr old driver at home), and a couple of other options.
The dual top is unnecessary in my mind. I struggled with hard to vs soft and finally decided on the hardtop. But I quickly found that the Freedom panels are a pain to shoehorn into the storage bag and an even bigger pain to store temporarily. I hardly removed them (bummer).
I then discovered the Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop. This replaces the freedom panels. You can literally throw it back or close it at a stop sign. Much cheaper than a dual top and much easier as well. If you would be satisfied with only the front part opening up like a giant sunroof then this is the hot ticket. I use it almost every day. Not the best picture here but check the web site.

29D5A10B-6F16-4AAA-BA09-6C554FB1B868.jpeg

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
Better picture. By the way, saw that early ‘60s CJ5 in a parking lot. Thought it would be a neat picture.

21294E7C-FD89-4430-84A1-701AB49CB5D9.png

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Yes it is a cool Pix. I am going to do the same this spring, and get a Bestop Sunrider on the front.
Cheers
Sponsored