Sponsored

New here....Genesis OffRoad Dual Battery Install???

sawtooth4x4

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
stuff
I bought a Genesis dual battery DIY tray.

I could not find any of the Odyssey Batteries in a Group 25 size, anywhere. It looks like they have either discontinued making the battery or there are not any available.

What are your suggestions. It says in the instructions the optima red top will not fit it either. Will another store brand work? I was going to order some agm's from OReilly's.

I'm doing my own dual battery controller set-up. Which will actually be three batteries. I'm running a house battery in the back to power my fridge and other items. But I have a DC to DC charger back there for the lithium battery.
Sponsored

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
stuff
Well it’s all in. Went with my own electronic dual battery isolator dc-dc charger. Everything fit well. Everything is working.

I need to get some better battery terminal covers for the second battery.
Jeep Gladiator New here....Genesis OffRoad Dual Battery Install??? C1148BDB-D86D-4316-A814-185C7159BE31

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
stuff
Forgot to take a picture of the battery isolator installed after this photo.

battery cables are thanks to a couple of Land Rover discovery 2s I parted out years ago. They are very thick and will work great.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
stuff
I used two AGM group 25 batteries from Oreillys. They have a 5 year warranty. And Oreillys is pretty much everywhere and can warrantied anywhere

Eventyr_JT

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
IBEW Electrician
Cool setup! Does it keep the factory ESS function of the 2nd battery? I’ve been thinking of doing something similar - keep ESS function but adding Aux switch for additional lights and accessories.

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
stuff
It does keep it if you reuse all the wiring and hook the negative and positive battery cables up correctly, just like it was when it was stock. The system doesn't seem to know what battery is being used, and doesn't seem to care.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Very cool!

Personally I want to remove the ESS battery since I have it disabled on my Gladiator.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you use something from the marine world for the isolator?

The funny thing is that I have no interest in buying the genesis 2 battery setup.

But I really wish that they would offer the electronics as an add on to be used with the stock battery setup. The problem isn't that the aux batt is small. The problem is that its not protected and the main isn't protected from being drawn down by a low aux.

Most of us don't need 2 big batteries. We need proper battery protection circuitry.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
stuff

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Very cool!

Personally I want to remove the ESS battery since I have it disabled on my Gladiator.
I have the genesis kit as well as a Tazer.

Tazer has ESS shut off at all times. The second battery now is just a backup in case my main dies: I can press a button and jump myself. I also placed my accessories to be powered by the second battery so my cranking is only my cranking.

I prefer it this way, and love it. Haven't had any issues in the year and a half I have had it.

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
I got this one off amazon, mainly because it was same day delivery. I'm going to give it a shot to see how well it works.

It's up on top of the fuse box. If it gets wet, the jeep is probably screwed anyway. I don't go in water over the depth of my hood. I spend most of my time out in the desert.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H21FCV7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Sorry I didn't see this earlier but my local shop is going to begin selling this kit soon... it's a DC-DC charging setup that (IMO) is way cleaner and works better than the solenoid setup from Genesis.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...5w-lensun-hood-solar-panel.46542/#post-757531

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Also, please be mindful of the positive battery cable loop at the fender. In the event of an impact this is really close to grounding out on the body. Hopefully your fuse would prevent anything bad from happening but just a friendly callout

Jeep Gladiator New here....Genesis OffRoad Dual Battery Install??? 1637337619085

OP
OP
sawtooth4x4

sawtooth4x4

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
stuff
Also, please be mindful of the positive battery cable loop at the fender. In the event of an impact this is really close to grounding out on the body. Hopefully your fuse would prevent anything bad from happening but just a friendly callout

Jeep Gladiator New here....Genesis OffRoad Dual Battery Install??? 1637337619085
I redid that last night when I put the isolator in. I’ll take a new picture later to show the new routing.
Sponsored