Sponsored

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
When I had my first gear box replaced last year, I got the alignment and flash no questions asked or extra charge. When I get my replacement for my replacement, I'm going to have them do both again. Whenever that may be.......
Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Iā€™m #17 in line for the new steering box at my closest dealer...
had my appointment last week, they came back half hour later saying they had bad news... parts wouldnt be in till end of february. i expected that going in after reading everyone else's experience and that parts are backordered... just glad im getting it fixed with no hastles since i am running 6 inch lift, 37s and aftermarket steering stabilizers
Hi @Renegade and @livewire_3020 - If either of you would like additional parts support, please send our team a private message.

Looks like the techs forgot to refill my power steering fluid. Reservoir is bone dry now. Could have been that way since it started or a slow leak over the last 2-3 weeks.

I will have to go to the dealership first think in the morning to refill. Already have a 30/40k mile maintenance scheduled Tuesday so I will have them check for damage to the pump then
We are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience at your dealer. If you would like this formally documented in our systems, please let us know.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
We are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience at your dealer. If you would like this formally documented in our systems, please let us know.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
I am ok. At the dealer now getting a top off. The service manager thinks it just burped and there should be fluid in there it's just hard to see. Will top off anyway

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
When I had my first gear box replaced last year, I got the alignment and flash no questions asked or extra charge. When I get my replacement for my replacement, I'm going to have them do both again. Whenever that may be.......
Before I got my tsb they made me do a tire alignment. A wheel was out of alignment and it was a couple months before all the parts came in so it needed to be done anyway

Clay

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired LEO
Dealership had ordered a replacement steering gearbox about one month ago and haven't heard anything, so I called them. Surprise, surprise, it is in and installation is scheduled for next Monday!

Sponsored

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Update;

Stock 2020 May built JT Max Tow Sport S on original 245x75x17 Dunlop tires. About 1000 miles since steering box swap, no off road, all back roads and hwy. Towing with new steering box, about 150 miles of the 1000 with 6x10 single axle trailer max weight of 2500-3000 lbs.

So far so good. I noticed the steering has a bit heavier feel after steering box was replaced. This is good, before the change it was twitchy. This is a good improvement over original feel.

Low speed tracking seems much better than the original steering box.

Highway speeds are much better. I really notice a difference when it is windy. I am able to keep the JT straight without much effort. Before the change I was a constantly correcting my path with normal highway driving, windy days were a bit sketchy. I was used to the vague, wandering steering feel as Iā€™ve had many open top Jeeps. I though this wasnā€™t abnormal for me when I bought the JT. When I went from a 2016 JKUHR to the JT the handling was much better due to the longer wheel base, so the wandering didnā€™t seem to be much issue at new purchase. I used tire pressure to help compensate for the vague, wander feel on all my Jeeps and did so with the JT. I ran 32-35 PSI on the stock 245x75x17ā€ tires, now even at 40-45 psi the JT on the same tires handles better than the stock box at lower pressure.

I recommend changing the box even if you arenā€™t sure you need to do it. I was on the fence with a steering box change but I am glad I did it. I have a GREAT local dealership, Premier Jeep Mt Juliet TN and they didnā€™t hesitate to make the swap. P.S. I didnā€™t even buy the JT from them, as they couldnā€™t get the JT I wanted at the time. Love that place.

mbbq22

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I agree with the above poster. Just got mine back from the dealer yesterday and I would say, especially adding the sector shaft brace just weeks after purchasing the Jeep, I was kind of used to how it drove but also hated longer, highway trips especially if it was windy. After driving all day yesterday, its much tighter. Honestly, steering box looks beefier although I'm not sure if it actually is. All in all, it tracks better with far less effort! Highly recommend!

JJ's JT

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
My dealership put in the order for a new gear box yesterday (1/22/20) for my 2020 JT Overland. They had no idea when they would receive it, they said maybe a couple of weeks. They also said they have replaced others with good success. I guess I will have to just wait and see what happens.

pacificoflyr

First Name
Tank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
My dealer installed, went to do the alignment on Thursday (14th) and couldn't get to it until Friday (15th). I was leaving on Vacation and needed the truck. They then called and said with the wheels I have, Black Rhino Arsenals, won't work with their alignment tools. I said ok, so what now? They said I have to bring the stock wheels back to them to get the alignment. Needless to say, I went to go pick up the truck so it wouldn't sit on their lot for a week. Now I gotta take it back Monday with the stock wheels....what would have happened if I didn't have the stock wheels? Do they need all 4 to do a proper alignment?

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
My dealer installed, went to do the alignment on Thursday (14th) and couldn't get to it until Friday (15th). I was leaving on Vacation and needed the truck. They then called and said with the wheels I have, Black Rhino Arsenals, won't work with their alignment tools. I said ok, so what now? They said I have to bring the stock wheels back to them to get the alignment. Needless to say, I went to go pick up the truck so it wouldn't sit on their lot for a week. Now I gotta take it back Monday with the stock wheels....what would have happened if I didn't have the stock wheels? Do they need all 4 to do a proper alignment?
A new steering box really shouldnā€™t require an alignment. I think they added that to the TSB after many dealers returned Jeeps to customers with steering wheels off center. Recenter the steering wheel via the drag link, and itā€™s done. I plan to ask them to NOT align mine, because Iā€™m afraid they will try to charge me for changes to my adjustable control arms, or screw it up. Iā€™ll bring a 15mm wrench with me and straighten it in the parking lot before I leave.

Sponsored

pacificoflyr

First Name
Tank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
A new steering box really shouldnā€™t require an alignment. I think they added that to the TSB after many dealers returned Jeeps to customers with steering wheels off center. Recenter the steering wheel via the drag link, and itā€™s done. I plan to ask them to NOT align mine, because Iā€™m afraid they will try to charge me for changes to my adjustable control arms, or screw it up. Iā€™ll bring a 15mm wrench with me and straighten it in the parking lot before I leave.
He said it 'wasn't really off' but the steering wheel is a bit off which is an easy fix.....and of course they want to charge me to change the wheels since their tooling won't fit.....no thanks.

Jtleng

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I agree with the above poster. Just got mine back from the dealer yesterday and I would say, especially adding the sector shaft brace just weeks after purchasing the Jeep, I was kind of used to how it drove but also hated longer, highway trips especially if it was windy. After driving all day yesterday, its much tighter. Honestly, steering box looks beefier although I'm not sure if it actually is. All in all, it tracks better with far less effort! Highly recommend!
Did you remove the sector shaft brace before taking it in for the TSB?

mbbq22

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Did you remove the sector shaft brace before taking it in for the TSB?
I did not remove it. The dealer was great and put it back on after they replaced the steering box.
Sponsored