Sponsored

Confirmed: SOME 2020 JT's built on 8/14 (2020) and after got the Steel Steering box

Bad Luck Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gator, 2017Jeep JK 2dr
Occupation
Ret. Army

Bad Luck Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gator, 2017Jeep JK 2dr
Occupation
Ret. Army
OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
I checked a few fresh arrivals over the last few weeks, we did get a few 20's with the new steering gear! The "oldest" date I found was 8/14 build. I looked at several 8/4-8/8 builds and they all had the old box.

Edit: Found an 8/12 build with the old box.
On the VIN there are 6 numbers at the end. What are the first 3 of that 8/14 build one. I'm assuming the VINs are built in order.......

Ozarkgolfer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland/BMW X2
Occupation
International Logistics
Well the issue is the jeep I'm interested in is still in transit to a dealer over a 5 hr drive from me. There is a large well respected dealer in my town that I would buy from but they don't have any I'm looking for. I could buy it and if needed have the dealer in town address it, but really don't want the hassle.
If you have already discussed the idea of purchasing from 5+ hours away with your locally respected dealer and they don't want the hassle, they are not the respected dealer you think they are. If the steel box is a thing for you, get it in writing from the dealer you WILL buy the JT from that if it arrives with the old box, they will replace it before delivery.

Sponsored

catdaddy63

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTLE, 2019 Ram 1500 DT
On the VIN there are 6 numbers at the end. What are the first 3 of that 8/14 build one. I'm assuming the VINs are built in order.......
The VIN's come down the line in a totally random order. If we order say 5 JT's in an allocation period, we will usually get sequential VIN's assigned to them but the actual build dates will be totally different.

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
The VIN's come down the line in a totally random order. If we order say 5 JT's in an allocation period, we will usually get sequential VIN's assigned to them but the actual build dates will be totally different.
Can dealers see the build date before they arrive?

catdaddy63

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTLE, 2019 Ram 1500 DT
Yes, while what we see in the status updates is the "estimated ship date," once the vehicle is built and shipped the MDH info is on the vehicle invoice as well as on the service inquiry screens. KZ is the point in the process where the vehicle is built, passed inspections, made the trip to body vendors, etc, and is released to transport and it's also the point where the invoice is sent to the dealer. Service inquiry pages also are available at this point. So when a dealer gives the "This is all I know" shrug on an ordered vehicle, it's really all we know until that magic KZ point.

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator
Just checked mine is 7/23 and is silver. I’m not having issues at this moment. Is this a recall item for new box. What should I be looking for ?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, while what we see in the status updates is the "estimated ship date," once the vehicle is built and shipped the MDH info is on the vehicle invoice as well as on the service inquiry screens. KZ is the point in the process where the vehicle is built, passed inspections, made the trip to body vendors, etc, and is released to transport and it's also the point where the invoice is sent to the dealer. Service inquiry pages also are available at this point. So when a dealer gives the "This is all I know" shrug on an ordered vehicle, it's really all we know until that magic KZ point.
We got an "Estimated build date" of 9/29 on my wife's new Grand Cherokee.
Just wondering - how often is that even close to reality? Not holxing anyone to anything at all, but my wife keeps asking and I have to tell her that all we know is what our DEALER knows and that's what he told us (he's a well-known forum member)

Just checked mine is 7/23 and is silver. I’m not having issues at this moment. Is this a recall item for new box. What should I be looking for ?

Again, A TSB IS NOT A RECALL.
IF there was a recall, they are required by law to notify the OWNER of the vehicle.
A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin advising the DEALER shop that there are some known issues and THIS is the factory advised fix for said issues.
A TSB says, for example, from a TSB for JEEP years ago -
right front fender cracks at xyz location, this is due to ABC, here is the fix.

In this case, the company is telling dealers - if the customer complains of any of these issues, check this, check that, if that's ok, then do THIS.

NOT A RECALL.
If there are ever recalls, they are required by LAW to contact owners - this is why they track vehicle ownership and if you receive a card in the mail advising of a recall, and you no longer have the vehicle, they greatly appreciate you telling them so.

I didn't think I had issues with my JT, either - but the dealer thought so, my wife thought so.
Do not accept "it's a JEEP THING." not in this day and age! That disappeared into the past. Modern Jeeps (in stock form just to count out any mods that COULD cause issues) should steer fine. So don't assume thsat because yours handles like your CJ7 did that it's ok.

BearDog

First Name
Johnnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport Max Tow. '20 H2SXSE+. RV-4 Airplane
Occupation
Machine Shop Manager
My 2020 MDH is 090908, and I have the aluminum box. My appt for the TSB is in a couple of weeks.

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
My 2020 MDH is 090908, and I have the aluminum box. My appt for the TSB is in a couple of weeks.
On that same sticker at the top over at left end will be 09-??. I expect it will be 09-19.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I have a 2020 model built in 1/20, and it has a dark silver steering box, much lighter in color than the steel Pitman arm. I assume it's aluminum. It steers great, no issues.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There's proof the 2020 model year went into September, like the good old days.
That should imply that anything made in July or August is 2020 and will have the original type steering gear.
Sponsored