Sponsored

New JTRD, steering wheel off center and dead spot...

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
Hello Just picked up a new Rubicon Diesel and I notice that the steering wheel is off center and there is quite a bit of dead play. As a result it takes a bit of concentration and preventive inputs to keep the jeep going straight even on flat roads.

How bad is it compared to to other Jeeps and pre the recall on the steering box?

Jeep Gladiator New JTRD, steering wheel off center and dead spot... IMG_6188

Sponsored

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
that looks awful. Mine doesn't drive anything like that. 2021 rubi with latest steering box.

that being said, mine came from the dealer with the tires at 45psi and wandered a little. took it down to 35 and drives straight.

02sahara

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Construction
I just picked mine up this evening and have a ton of play in the steering wheel. Itā€™s on center but I can go about an inch or so each direction before it does anything. The tires are a little hard at 43 but Iā€™ve never had this come up with any other vehicle when the tires were a little over inflated. Iā€™m going to drop them down in the morning to 35psi.before I continue on home but in think Iā€™m going to have to take it in. Love it so far though!

02sahara

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Hello Just picked up a new Rubicon Diesel and I notice that the steering wheel is off center and there is quite a bit of dead play. As a result it takes a bit of concentration and preventive inputs to keep the jeep going straight even on flat roads.

How bad is it compared to to other Jeeps and pre the recall on the steering box?

Jeep Gladiator New JTRD, steering wheel off center and dead spot... IMG_6187.MOV

Weā€™re you able to get it fixed? My steering is exactly the same.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
I just picked mine up this evening and have a ton of play in the steering wheel. Itā€™s on center but I can go about an inch or so each direction before it does anything. The tires are a little hard at 43 but Iā€™ve never had this come up with any other vehicle when the tires were a little over inflated. Iā€™m going to drop them down in the morning to 35psi.before I continue on home but in think Iā€™m going to have to take it in. Love it so far though!
I run mine at a 34 psi cold pressure. Big difference from the factory/dealer 41 psi. I think it should help ya.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AEsco48

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mine had the tires at 47 psi... Dropped to 38 and it drive really nice now (considering its a rubicon on MS tires).
Steering wheel is still off center, i talked to my selling dealer in FL (i now live in CO) and they said to take it to my local dealer (has 700 miles now), worst case if they charge me for the alignment the selling dealer will reimburse me.

02sahara

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction

Hereā€™s a video of mine just before the first tank ran out, 321 miles. I dropped it to 34 psi cold before I continued on this morning. Thanks to the tire alert it made it pretty easy. It drove better but still has almost as much play dead center as our old 79 f-150. Iā€™m going to make a few calls Monday I guess and see what happens. Itā€™s driveable but definitely annoying when the steering is 10x looser than my ā€˜11 Grand Cherokee.

OP
OP
AEsco48

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Hereā€™s a video of mine just before the first tank ran out, 321 miles. I dropped it to 34 psi cold before I continued on this morning. Thanks to the tire alert it made it pretty easy. It drove better but still has almost as much play dead center as our old 79 f-150. Iā€™m going to make a few calls Monday I guess and see what happens. Itā€™s driveable but definitely annoying when the steering is 10x looser than my ā€˜11 Grand Cherokee.
Mine is the same, maybe a tiny bit better.

I would expect that even a 2011 Grand Cherokee would have better steering feel than a 2021 Gladiator, especially if you have a trim particularly outfitted for offroad.

02sahara

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Mine is the same, maybe a tiny bit better.

I would expect that even a 2011 Grand Cherokee would have better steering feel than a 2021 Gladiator, especially if you have a trim particularly outfitted for offroad.
Iā€™d like to think that the play in the center of the steering would be the same, shouldnā€™t be much of anything. Yea, itā€™s a truck with solid axles and a longer wheelbase than a unibody, independent axle GC but theyā€™re not even close. Iā€™ve driven plenty of different cars in my life, I spent a few years working as a valet, it it shouldnā€™t be like this from the factory. Have you taken yours to the dealer?

OP
OP
AEsco48

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Iā€™d like to think that the play in the center of the steering would be the same, shouldnā€™t be much of anything. Yea, itā€™s a truck with solid axles and a longer wheelbase than a unibody, independent axle GC but theyā€™re not even close. Iā€™ve driven plenty of different cars in my life, I spent a few years working as a valet, it it shouldnā€™t be like this from the factory. Have you taken yours to the dealer?
Have not gone to dealer.
Are you saying that the play in the steering wheel seen in your video and my video is not right?

I think there is a big difference between cars. I had a Porsche GT3 that has a super sight steering and i have driven brand new rental cars that had more play then in both our videos...

Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Have not gone to dealer.
Are you saying that the play in the steering wheel seen in your video and my video is not right?

I think there is a big difference between cars. I had a Porsche GT3 that has a super sight steering and i have driven brand new rental cars that had more play then in both our videos...
Just adjust the steering wheel yourself lol. Takes two minutes.

As for the play in steering, check the steering box like what is posted on the forum. If it is the old one bring it in for the TSB. If it is the new one, get it replaced with the updated one anyways.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Check your steering boxes fellas.

Old box = silver aluminum

new box = black steel

if you have the aluminum box read the TSB in this thread and call your dealer. Not many dealers have had any issue performing the TSB. but to be safe say word for word the issues stated in the tsb, and reference the tsb, when you schedule your service.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...b-08-074-20-for-improved-steering-feel.33705/

Many of us have had dead spots corrected with the tsb fix.

hope this helps!

Bacon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR-LE
Check your steering boxes fellas.

Old box = silver aluminum

new box = black steel

if you have the aluminum box read the TSB in this thread and call your dealer. Not many dealers have had any issue performing the TSB. but to be safe say word for word the issues stated in the tsb, and reference the tsb, when you schedule your service.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...b-08-074-20-for-improved-steering-feel.33705/

Many of us have had dead spots corrected with the tsb fix.

hope this helps!
I'd be very surprised that a brand new 21' vehicle would ship with the aluminum box, but definitely doublecheck this. The TSB certainly improved my dead spot.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I'd be very surprised that a brand new 21' vehicle would ship with the aluminum box, but definitely doublecheck this. The TSB certainly improved my dead spot.
I have seen two people who took delivery in the last two months have the aluminum box.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen two people who took delivery in the last two months have the aluminum box.
yea theyā€™re still out there. Weā€™ll probably stop seeing them in 2022 models but i have this inate distrust of some fca internal procedures... id bet they ā€œfixā€ them and try to reuse emā€™ haha
Sponsored