First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Eco-Diesel
Occupation
Medical Equipment Repair and Service
Hello to all in the Jeep "community". My wife just got a new 2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys edition. This is our first Jeep. Once she decided what she was getting, all I could do was offer assistance in explaining what options/packages do what, which ones may be desirable, beneficial, or "neccessary", and since we need a vehicle that can tow, to take the place of our 2005 H2 Hummer in as many ways as possible, the only thing I insisted on was the 3.0 Liter Eco-Diesel w/mandatory upgraded transmission. Because of where we live and the route taken to work at night, the LED exterior light package makes sense, and this has that, along with the "safety package" for lane change etc, because I know how she drives, everyone is safer with this Jeep being equipped with that as well. It's already been "ducked" by friends the day we brought it home, and she has named it and had decals applied related to the name. Walter Lantz studio, the Woody Woodpecker show, had a character named "Chilly Willy", a penguin for those not familiar. Goes well with the exterior "Bright White" paint and everything else is black.
For now, I can look through the forum sections to research some basic information, but I have 2 immediate needs: I need recommendations for a quality spray on bed liner to be professionally applied, and some kind of side rails that have a step or steps to make getting in and out easier for her 4'11" height. At 6'3" it's not a problem for me. It came with factory installed "rock sliders" that I assume have to come off to mount side step rails? There's no "rock sliding" planned, and this is her daily driver. We like classic muscle cars and each of us has one, hers is a 65 Pontiac GTO with a built 421 Tripower, Quick Performance 9" rear axle assembly and UMI rear suspension components, and a TKO600 5 speed soon to replace the Muncie 4 speed that's in it. I have a 70 V-code Roadrunner, factory equipped with a 440 6bbl and Dana 60 rear axle. It has a Passon Performance 5 speed and the 440 has some common performance upgrades (headers, cam) and I wrench on both cars so I'm familiar with common "shade tree" mechanic stuff.
Any advice is welcome, especially regarding my first diesel, towing, and especially the spray in bedliner and side step rails recommendations.
Thanks!
Jeep Gladiator New member, this is my first post! 20210603_153713
Jeep Gladiator New member, this is my first post! 20210603_153632
Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Congrats! That's a pretty funny name for the thing, I like it.

Line-X is what I'll be using for sure. On my current truck for 15 years and still looks sharp. You can pay extra for add-ins to make it look nicer longer, but I did not. Hauled a ton of rock in it the other day - still no scars, scrapes or anything else all these years later.

Clay

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired LEO
I second the Line-x. My wife has a bad knee, so I had 4 Wheel Parts install the AMP Power Step XL on my Gladiator. They are rather pricey, but she no longer has to take a folding step with her.

Evilmunky

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Science
Line-X for sure. Welcome to the Jeep family. I have seen some slider/step combos that could be installed without removing the factory rails. Or just remove them and you can sell them easily.

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
Congrats! Welcome to the Willys club! Great looking truck!

Sponsored

OP
OP

BioMedTechGuy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Eco-Diesel
Occupation
Medical Equipment Repair and Service
Hey, thanks for all the replies!
All useful information, and I'm grateful.
I have seen some slider/step combos that could be installed without removing the factory rails. Or just remove them and you can sell them easily.
That was my guess, but I'll have to compare the ones that work with the rock sliders vs without. I ?"guess"? the sliders could offer some protection for the body metal underneath. Do they stiffen the chassis any? (I have subframe connectors welded in on my unibody Roadrunner)
Other than forum vendors which I'll check out, any links to best websites for accessories?

Evilmunky

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Science
Search this forum and you can find all kinds of recommendations. Online shops check out Quadratec, Extremeterrain, or honestly Google will lead you down an endless list of Jeep accessories. It’s a rabbit hole worth exploring.
Sponsored