Sponsored

New Sport S - rethinking lift. Would like input on 33s/34s on stock height (level or no?)

watarski

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I'm about two weeks out from picking up my new silver Sport S hardtop with 6-speed manual. I had planned out my first upgrades and was going to order to get installed upon arrival: Overland side steps, 17x9 Mayhem wheels (-6 offset), Mopar 2" lift, and Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50s. I have since changed my mind after spending hours on this site. I have backed away from doing the lift as I'm not really interested in altering the solid ride of the stock Gladiator. I live in NW FL and don't ever plan on doing any sort of rock crawling, serious off-roading, etc. Most off road activity will be limited to camping trips and similar. The lift (and wheels/tires) was mainly for looks, so I'm going to scrap buying the Mopar kit. So now my question has to do with tires on stock height, and secondarily a mild front level, as I prefer the rake.
- Any opinions on 285/75 vs 285/70 Nittos? I will be taking the air dam off regardless, so that's not an issue. I've tried looking at pictures, but it's difficult to tell. Does the 285/75 cause rubbing issues, or just look too big in the wheel well?
- Would a 1" level in the front cause any handling issues, or is it even necessary for these size wheels?

I'm clearly overthinking this, just want to make sure I get it right the first time. Any help/opinions are much appreciated.
Sponsored

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
I'm about two weeks out from picking up my new silver Sport S hardtop with 6-speed manual. I had planned out my first upgrades and was going to order to get installed upon arrival: Overland side steps, 17x9 Mayhem wheels (-6 offset), Mopar 2" lift, and Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50s. I have since changed my mind after spending hours on this site. I have backed away from doing the lift as I'm not really interested in altering the solid ride of the stock Gladiator. I live in NW FL and don't ever plan on doing any sort of rock crawling, serious off-roading, etc. Most off road activity will be limited to camping trips and similar. The lift (and wheels/tires) was mainly for looks, so I'm going to scrap buying the Mopar kit. So now my question has to do with tires on stock height, and secondarily a mild front level, as I prefer the rake.
- Any opinions on 285/75 vs 285/70 Nittos? I will be taking the air dam off regardless, so that's not an issue. I've tried looking at pictures, but it's difficult to tell. Does the 285/75 cause rubbing issues, or just look too big in the wheel well?
- Would a 1" level in the front cause any handling issues, or is it even necessary for these size wheels?

I'm clearly overthinking this, just want to make sure I get it right the first time. Any help/opinions are much appreciated.
You can put stock Rubi wheels and tires on a sport s with no rubbing if you take the air dams out

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
It will look the exact same as the Rubicon with 33s; the Rubicon suspension is the same so it will be equal height

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
It will look the exact same as the Rubicon with 33s; the Rubicon suspension is the same so it will be equal height
With the exception that there will be less room between the top of the tire and the fender as the Rubicon has higher fender flares.

Sponsored

OP
OP

watarski

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I meant the closeout panels. Now to research the air dams...

So based on Rubi lift and fender height, stick with the smaller of the two wheel sizes?

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
So based on Rubi lift and fender height, stick with the smaller of the two wheel sizes
For my truck I would not go larger than stock Rubicon tires (on my sport max tow) without a lift.

I don't like the look of big tires crowding the wheel wells.

Last edited:

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Here's 285/70/17 on a Sport S with Rubicon springs & shocks + 1" teraflex spacer. I put the spacer on because my bumper/winch combo weighted the front down .5"

I really like the way my truck sits now but would've gone with 285/75/17 if I hadn't gotten such a good deal on the tires I put on.

Not the best photo but you get the idea
JT font end lift.jpg

Sponsored

misplacetexan

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Billet Silver Sport S/Max Tow Package
Occupation
Law enforcement
Stock Sport S (max tow) with 285 75 R17 on stock wheels.

C7B432F3-EF11-46F3-B8D0-36441B2B7457.jpeg

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
295/70/17 = 34x12 on a stocker top
A438FE00-474E-42D8-BAEA-DD1043DCEC42.jpeg

With 1.5” leveling kit bottom
051981A2-F21F-4CF2-9DBB-079ADFFDFF7A.jpeg

OP
OP

watarski

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Thanks everyone for the pictures. This is more difficult than I thought - first world problems, I know...

I like the looks of the 285/70/r17, but am worried that the wheel I picked out (-6 offset) will stick out too far for the height of that size tire. I would think the the 285/75r17 might look better with that width, but would probably need a small level in the front.

wheel I'm looking at:
03fcb2f4-c939-4dfe-ae15-b71461dddd66-jpeg.jpg

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
I recommend the Teraflex 1.5”. Easy install and quality pieces for $100. Can go 1” or 1.5”

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Why does everybody think the Rubicon tires are huge? They're 1.2" taller than the Sport tires and 1.5" wider. Which means that at any given point around the circumference of the tire, you're adding 0.6" of height and .75" of width. That's nothing. You don't need a lift of any kind, nor do you need to trim anything or remove any pieces from the bumper in order to run Rubicon tires.

As far as the wheels go, -6 is going to definitely stick out. On a Rubicon or Max Tow it's a lot more noticeable because those trims have wide-track axles to begin with. It won't be as bad on a standard Sport. But it will still put tread outside the fenders. I generally recommend positive offsets. Something in the +10 to +25 range is ideal. Still looks fantastic, but doesn't put as much tire outside of the fender to ruin your paint and other motorists' windshields.
Sponsored