New Tazer Should have Bluetooth for updates via phone

GregMG79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave; Grand Cherokee L
About to pull the trigger in the Tazer mini, but you need a windows computer to update it. Support for the Max has been suspended for now I assume due to compatibility issues. This is a definite downside. Wish they would make a Bluetooth version so you can update the Tazer via Bluetooth through a phone app. Would make things easier as most people have smart phones and iPads so this would make it more user friendly. Not to mention easier to do future updates.

anyone here anything like this in the works?

Cheers

Greg
Sponsored

OP
OP

GregMG79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave; Grand Cherokee L
Thanks but the Tazer Mini does more for the gladiator.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
About to pull the trigger in the Tazer mini, but you need a windows computer to update it. Support for the Max has been suspended for now I assume due to compatibility issues. This is a definite downside. Wish they would make a Bluetooth version so you can update the Tazer via Bluetooth through a phone app. Would make things easier as most people have smart phones and iPads so this would make it more user friendly. Not to mention easier to do future updates.

anyone here anything like this in the works?

Cheers

Greg
Adding Bluetooth can increase the power drain when parked. It also increases the hardware cost and adds another layer of complexity. It requires additional programming for communication, and then they have to develop software to update from the mobile devices. I don't see it happening.

Sponsored

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
I'd be happy if I could update with my MacBook pro. They need to update that.
They’re working on it. The preview they showed on Instagram looks slick.

My complaint is that we should be able to configure all the options on the computer app and then just plug it in. I’m still not a fan of navigating to everything through steering wheel buttons.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Or just access it on the in dash screen.

They’re working on it. The preview they showed on Instagram looks slick.

My complaint is that we should be able to configure all the options on the computer app and then just plug it in. I’m still not a fan of navigating to everything through steering wheel buttons.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
AND... after configuring everything on the computer, we should be able to save that configuration to a named file and of course be able to restore it.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Embedded systems are a complex hardware task to put together. I'm fine with resources being spent on upgrades and refinements of the management software; not having to use a DB9 to upgrade firmware is a huge bonus to my mind!

Bluetooth is just now past being total ass for serial communication, and the number of support calls that alone would produce is NOT worth it.

Setting up a UI just for configuration, rather than using the high dollar interface built into the Jeep, is again an allocation of resources that I'd prefer spent on further development.

Seriously, the manual is at least decent, if not necessarily optimized, I'd rather they hire out to a technical writer than waste time on all that other fluff.

Mball488

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military
As my uncle always said "If it aint broke, don't fix it". I agree that it isn't the most pain free system going through all the button presses on the steering wheel, but not hard by any means. Over complicating the Tazer for something you wont be "programming" on a day to day basis is why they have been so successful. If they do add all those features people want then expect the price to increase significantly and well lets be honest... then people will complain about the price.

Sponsored

keithcroshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Yea I'd jump on the purchase if it had BT. I'd settle for connected Mac setup. Drag out my work PC if I really need to, but I really don't want to be programming this thing through the dash...