New Truck Many Issues

JT202006

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2006 Jeep Wrangler
I hate that I even need to type this. 5,000 miles on the brand-new Rubicon JT and here are all the problems I have.

Transmission: I honestly have never driven such a bad shifting tranny. Most notably when coming to a stop or cruising around 19mph. The jeep down shifts extremely harsh, to a point where it jerks you forward. From 2nd to 1st it feels like it holds on too long then drops into 1st, clunks, and then surges forward. This makes it almost impossible to come to a stop smoothly. The rough shifting gets better as the jeep warms up but is always noticeable. It feels like both a programming and mechanical issue. Thoughts?

Start-up: Each time I start it up it sounds different. Sometimes it sounds normal other times it sounds harsh. At times it sounds like a bracket is lose and rattles. Very odd behavior for a brand new truck.

Steering: Not going to touch too much on this as there already enough threads on it but I do have a 2-3” dead zone in the wheel and it wanders a bit. At highway speeds it oddly seems better, less input, than going around 30mph.

Center console screen: The screen randomly will change brightness. Sometimes it will not let me manually change the brightness with the scroll. I’ve also noticed that when I turn my wipers on it will change the brightness to brightest.

Heater/AC: Like many others mine blows hot air until the engine warms up.

I love this truck but very disappointed with FCA.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Center Console Screen: The brightness can only be adjusted with the scroll wheel when the lights are on. If the lights are set to Auto, the sensor on the dash will turn them on and off based on the light level. Whenever the wipers are turned on, the switch and sensor on/off is ignored and the lights are turned on.

I have no steering, transmission, or startup issues. The heater/AC works well for me. I keep it set between 66 and 68, in manual mode, with AC on, and air coming out the dash vents. I always remote start with the phone app so the truck is close to the desired temperature when I get in.

OP
OP

JT202006

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2006 Jeep Wrangler
Center Console Screen: The brightness can only be adjusted with the scroll wheel when the lights are on. If the lights are set to Auto, the sensor on the dash will turn them on and off based on the light level. Whenever the wipers are turned on, the switch and sensor on/off is ignored and the lights are turned on.

I have no steering, transmission, or startup issues. The heater/AC works well for me. I keep it set between 66 and 68, in manual mode, with AC on, and air coming out the dash vents. I always remote start with the phone app so the truck is close to the desired temperature when I get in.
center console info, good to know. Thanks

Illiana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I hate that I even need to type this. 5,000 miles on the brand-new Rubicon JT and here are all the problems I have.

Transmission: I honestly have never driven such a bad shifting tranny. Most notably when coming to a stop or cruising around 19mph. The jeep down shifts extremely harsh, to a point where it jerks you forward. From 2nd to 1st it feels like it holds on too long then drops into 1st, clunks, and then surges forward. This makes it almost impossible to come to a stop smoothly. The rough shifting gets better as the jeep warms up but is always noticeable. It feels like both a programming and mechanical issue. Thoughts?

Start-up: Each time I start it up it sounds different. Sometimes it sounds normal other times it sounds harsh. At times it sounds like a bracket is lose and rattles. Very odd behavior for a brand new truck.

Steering: Not going to touch too much on this as there already enough threads on it but I do have a 2-3” dead zone in the wheel and it wanders a bit. At highway speeds it oddly seems better, less input, than going around 30mph.

Center console screen: The screen randomly will change brightness. Sometimes it will not let me manually change the brightness with the scroll. I’ve also noticed that when I turn my wipers on it will change the brightness to brightest.

5000 miles! Thats like having 500,000 miles with these gladiators. Consider yourself lucky you've made it this far and it still runs. There are a lot of big problem stories on here. Good luck.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
From 2nd to 1st it feels like it holds on too long then drops into 1st, clunks, and then surges forward
Why are you down shifting from 2 to 1? If you're in 2 and coming to a stop, just pop it into neutral and brake. By the time you're at the low end of 2 you should be going plenty slow. If you're in 2 and want to crawl and not stop, 2 should have enough torque that you can just stay in it. 1 is a very short gear range and seems very limited, except to get a load moving.

EDIT - wait a sec... forgot to ask if you have an auto or a manual! :)

Sponsored

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
5000 miles! Thats like having 500,000 miles with these gladiators. Consider yourself lucky you've made it this far and it still runs. There are a lot of big problem stories on here. Good luck.
Vocal minority.

(please don't take that as denying there are some issues or dismissing those have them)

windyridge89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Stingray Gladiator Maxtow
The transmission has been talked about more than a few times. I have been to the dealer once for issues and they ended up flashing the computer which seemed to help with the harshness however I'm still stuck which a clunk when the transmission downshifts from 4 to 3 and park to reverse or drive. I would take it to the dealer.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I agree that you should go to the dealership for a re-flash to address your trans and start-up issues.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
You better be prepared to be hammered by the Jeep nuts on this forum that thinks JEEP can do no wrong no matter how many issues happen with your Gladiator. For some reason JEEP is not responsible for their piss poor quality control and even worse service. They are still pushing the same engineered nightmare platform onto hard working consumers and then making it their problem. It is quite sad to see that FCA has run this product in the ground. I feel sorry for you and recommend either forcing them to buy it back under the lemon law or trade it in. It’s only going to get worse because they have JEEPS sitting on dealers lots all over the country right now for months on end because of lack of replacement parts.
EVERYBODY PANIC!! ;)

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
For the screen issues, go into Controls and select Wipers then turn off the toggle for the headlights to come on when the wipers are on and see if that helps.

I also agree that a reflash may fix your tranny shifting issues. If not, get it in there three documented times and file a lemon law claim. Before I replaced my engine and tranny with a new crate Grand Cherokee 6.4L , my stock tranny shifted perfectly. Yours has a real problem and if a reflash doesn’t fix it, it needs to be replaced. Lemon laws are a God send for consumers and I have several friends who have used them successfully, interestingly all American cars. I had a problem with a new 1994 Pontiac Firebird and GM was so concerned that when I brought it back for the third time, they replaced the entire drivetrain which fixed the problems (I later found out that the LT1 engine was plagued with problems).

Anyway, do not be bashful about demanding a complete fix. My JT performs flawlessly, so I know it is possible. Best of luck and let us know how you make out.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
You better be prepared to be hammered by the Jeep nuts on this forum that thinks JEEP can do no wrong no matter how many issues happen with your Gladiator. For some reason JEEP is not responsible for their piss poor quality control and even worse service. They are still pushing the same engineered nightmare platform onto hard working consumers and then making it their problem. It is quite sad to see that FCA has run this product in the ground. I feel sorry for you and recommend either forcing them to buy it back under the lemon law or trade it in. It’s only going to get worse because they have JEEPS sitting on dealers lots all over the country right now for months on end because of lack of replacement parts.
Is it bad engineering, or independent suppliers which provide substandard parts, probably to many different auto makers? Ever had a German car? Never mind....

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
So many negative posts about Jeep over and over - like we are not depressed already - stuck in quarantine.... I am trying to understand your experience... From what I see in your posts, you got $11K off MSRP in Jan. --- the best deal I heard of ...., then, you refused delivery because of quality... and now, you ordered ? or are going to order a Mojave ? Your profile says you own a Gladiator, but, you refused delivery, correct ? What major issues do you expect to be fixed on the Mojave before you would accept delivery from the dealer ?

Last edited:

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package

Did you take it back to the dealer to check it under warranty? Why is it the first thing people do (based on the fact you joined the forum to post this) jump online to bitch and complain rather than try to solve the issue through normal channels?

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So many negative posts about Jeep over and over - like we are not depressed already - stuck in quarantine.... I am trying to understand your experience... From what I see in your posts, you got $11K off MSRP in Jan. --- the best deal I heard of ...., then, you refused delivery because of quality... and now, you ordered ? or are going to order a Mojave ? Your profile says you own a Gladiator, but, you refused delivery, correct ? What major issues do you expect to be fixed on the Mojave before you would accept delivery from the dealer ?
Just like Congress and media screaming impeachment, after awhile it just turns to background noise and no one pays it any attention
Sponsored