New Wheels and Tires - TPMS question

Bruhast

First Name
Nathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Lexus IS350, 2017 Land Rover Discovery HSE
I'm swapping out my wheels and tires and wondering what to do about the TPMS sensors.

I bought the wheels online and the tires on craigslist. When I take them to the shop to have them mounted, do I just ask them to remove the TPMS from the current wheels? I would assume an additional charge - what should I expect to pay?

Also, I'm in the Raleigh, NC area and will be selling new Rubicon Wheels with Wildpeak A/Ts. Should have less than 300 miles on them if anyone is interested.
Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
They may charge you to breakdown your tires to get the TPMS out since you are not purchasing anything from them. You can always buy a spare set from Amazon (or Rock Auto, AutoZone, etc, etc)

I know Discount Tire will charge you $90 (with tax) give or take a dollar just to mount and balance 4 tires

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Price is pretty dependent on the shop itself, but you will incur a charge for having them remove the TPMS from the old wheels and swap them over to the new wheels. It is a simple process and any shop should be plenty familiar with the process but be sure to inform them before showing up for the appointment as it will add additional time to the job and they may need to adjust their schedule to accommodate.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
I'm swapping out my wheels and tires and wondering what to do about the TPMS sensors.

I bought the wheels online and the tires on craigslist. When I take them to the shop to have them mounted, do I just ask them to remove the TPMS from the current wheels? I would assume an additional charge - what should I expect to pay?

Also, I'm in the Raleigh, NC area and will be selling new Rubicon Wheels with Wildpeak A/Ts. Should have less than 300 miles on them if anyone is interested.
Yes.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Make sure when they swap your sensors over that they use new hardware kits (new washers, etc.) to prevent leaks and slow air loss from around the valve stem in the future.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bruhast

First Name
Nathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They may charge you to breakdown your tires to get the TPMS out since you are not purchasing anything from them. You can always buy a spare set from Amazon (or Rock Auto, AutoZone, etc, etc)

I know Discount Tire will charge you $90 (with tax) give or take a dollar just to mount and balance 4 tires
Thanks! Will any TPMS that works with a JL work with the JT?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yes, JL sensors will work. I bought a new set for $100 bucks total off RockAuto recently and they worked perfectly with zero programming.

OP
OP

Bruhast

First Name
Nathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, JL sensors will work. I bought a new set for $100 bucks total off RockAuto recently and they worked perfectly with zero programming.
Thanks!

Gregbj33

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2017 Wrangler
Occupation
Store Manager Weis Markets
Will dual frequency sensors need to be programmed? They say 315/314.9 MHz 433.92/434.42mhz. Or will they automatically be recognized when I install them. Don’t have the gladiator yet, so do they need a vehicle to program them or just need to know what they are going on. My JK will be at the shop as I am doing a switch-a-roo.

MadManMoheenid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE & 1958 Chevy Apache
Anyone know if the spare needs a sensor, as well?
Sponsored