BIG_EDDIE

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Hey everyone,

I've been off-roading Jeeps for years but always on a trip where the Jeep was rented and the recovery work was done by the rental team. Saved up for a Gladiator last year and did not attempt anything technical since. Getting the urge to take it on some trails in the mountains and on the beach at OBX later this year and am sure the factory jack would not cut it for changing a tire in those conditions.

Anyone have experience with the factory jack off-road? If not, any recommendations for a jack compatible with a factory stock Gladiator Rubicon?

Thanks in advance for advice or links to a similar thread if I missed it.
Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I consider the factory jack to be "for display purposes only." Since I don't know what kind of terrain I will be in when a flat occurs, I prepare with a foot square piece of 1" plywood, 2x6 and 4x4 wood blocks (to put under the jack and/or block the tires so the Jeep can't move), I carry a bottle jack, a small floor jack, and a Hi-Lift jack with Jackmate (just in case), and the double strap with hooks adapter to lift with the Hi-Lift on a tire.
I also lube the wheel studs with chassis grease including the tapers, but not the mounting surfaces of wheels) and hand-tighten. After a tire store tightens the lugs dry with an impact, they can be extremely hard to remove on the trail with hand tools.

Sponsored

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
AEV jack base + OEM jack = bare minimum

OR

I personally own this one. Lots of adjustability as well as safety of a jack stand.

1617034078412.png

Exactly....I have no idea on earth why anyone would spend $75 for that hunk of AEV plastic....to put it under a jack worth maybe $10. The stock jack is a very light duty jack intended only for use on perfectly flat terrain...to change a flat or two during the life of the vehicle. There are endless threads and videos on yotube of people having that thing turn into a taco when they either used it on slightly uneven terrain, or with a heavy built out rig, or after using it multiple times. You'd be much better off with a unit like the above or even a quality standard bottle jack and some scrap wood to make a stable base.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I bought the AEV block and am disappointed in the jack supporting ability. I wish I had kept the box so I could return it. It will stay in the truck as an overpriced wheel chock.

I was looking at the Alltrade jacks today before I saw this thread. I will be ordering some thing like that soon. Easier to store than a large capacity floor jack and lighter.