First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
sales
I just bought a 2020 gladiator rubicon and I'm looking to get a winch. I had a wrangler for 10 years before and never needed one but I feel like if I had one I would go to some riskier places and feel more comfortable. What do I need to look for in terms of installation, wiring and quality? I don't want to spend a ton but I know you get what you pay for in most cases. I do have the winch ready bumper. I also have the front facing camera so I don't want to block that. Should I also add on a bar to the bumper to guard the winch? Any help would be great. Thanks!
Sponsored

BryantJT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ Rubicon, 2021 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Planner
Your bumper still needs a winch mounting plate. For the size of the gladiator I'd get at least a 9500lb winch. Installation is pretty easy, just route 2 wires to the battery and a few bolts. Easy afternoon project with basic hand tools.

OP
OP

jimmy986

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
sales
Your bumper still needs a winch mounting plate. For the size of the gladiator I'd get at least a 9500lb winch. Installation is pretty easy, just route 2 wires to the battery and a few bolts. Easy afternoon project with basic hand tools.
Are winch plates universal or is it specific to what winch I buy?

BryantJT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ Rubicon, 2021 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Planner
Yes and no, winches under 12000 lbs should fit most plates but 12000 and up may have a different bolt pattern. The product info for the plate and winch will tell you the bolt spacing.

OP
OP

jimmy986

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
sales
Rural king has a 12,000 lb winch for $299. Is this going to be a terrible buy because of quality? Does anyone have experience with these?

Sponsored

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow; 2020 Chevy Silverado Duramax 3500
Never heard of them. A lot of people run the harbor freight badland (apex) or Smittybuilt. They are affordable and reliable. Can never go wrong with Warn, but they are a lot more money.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
you do get what you pay for with winches for the most part. if its for looks and will likely never be used for an actual recovery, by all means, buy a $299 winch. My CJ had a 8274 and my Super Duty had a 16.5 Ti, both Warns, both 100% reliable, both expensive, both worth every penny. Still deciding on which bumper for my JT, regardless of which I get, it will carry a Warn. YMMV.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Never heard of them. A lot of people run the harbor freight badland (apex) or Smittybuilt. They are affordable and reliable. Can never go wrong with Warn, but they are a lot more money.
There's a good video out there on the Badland Apex - a Jeep fellow bent his winch plate and talks about the Badland quality and so on - even opens it up. He basically had nothing at all negative to say about it.
I found nothing 'cheap' about the Badland Apex 12,000 with synthetic rope I recently installed.

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
I had a smittybilt on my jkur 12000 lb used it every once in awhile loved it... would t seeing myself spending the money on a warn unless I was wheeling every weekend I’ll buy a smittybilt for my gladiator

JTGladly

First Name
Sibi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi; 2016 JKUR; 2010 Commander Hemi
Occupation
Software development
If you already have a winch ready modular front bumper, all you need is mounting plate. But not all rubi's come up with. Mine didnt and I had to replace mine with an aftermarket bumper to accommodate my x20 12k winch. Fun project regardless, good luck!

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator Newbie to winches 20201017_135829_HDR

Cutoff switch that comes with that winch - all the wiring you need and then some. You can even relocate the electronics off the top of the winch if you want to lower the profile even more.

Jeep Gladiator Newbie to winches 20201017_135923_HDR

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's a good video out there on the Badland Apex - a Jeep fellow bent his winch plate and talks about the Badland quality and so on - even opens it up. He basically had nothing at all negative to say about it.
I found nothing 'cheap' about the Badland Apex 12,000 with synthetic rope I recently installed.
I didn’t say anything negative about the Apex. And I didn’t say they were “cheap”. Lol. Just said they were affordable and reliable. Pretty sure those are all positive remarks.....

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I didn’t say anything negative about the Apex. And I didn’t say they were “cheap”. Lol. Just said they were affordable and reliable. Pretty sure those are all positive remarks.....
Who said I said that you said something negative? (whew, did anyone follow that?)
I said there's a great review out there where the reviewer liked it and didn't say anything negative about it. I was just pointing out there were reviews available.

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who said I said that you said something negative? (whew, did anyone follow that?)
I said there's a great review out there where the reviewer liked it and didn't say anything negative about it. I was just pointing out there were reviews available.
Ok. No biggie. But if you read your post that you quoted me you infer that I called the Apex cheap. Maybe I just assumed since people consider them cheap. I have no experience with them which is why I did not have an opinion on them; Just that a lot of people use them. Sorry I took it wrong.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. No biggie. But if you read your post that you quoted me you infer that I called the Apex cheap. Maybe I just assumed since people consider them cheap. I have no experience with them which is why I did not have an opinion on them; Just that a lot of people use them. Sorry I took it wrong.
Well if that was implied, sorry - no intent. And yeah, I know what you mean. So many do call them cheap, etc. - anyway, sorry if I read your post wrong or even if my response appeared in a way not intended. I do that sometimes.
I'm pretty happy with mine - I have not used it in the rough yet, but my impressions are actually good. I hate "cheap stuff" but everything supplied with it seemed fine. The videos I watched were using them rougher than I hope I EVER get into - I mean seriously abusing the thing to the point of bending the winch plate - the winch survived save for the top cover getting cracked by the flex. That was easily obtained and replaced. (good to inow you can get parts!)

Frankly, when one compares to other makes - hmmmmm, same factory??
I figure I'd never in a million need such a heavy or strong winch, on the other hand, if I figured I might at most need 9,000 pounds for my use - buy more, less chance of breaking something.
Like many tools - buy more than you need and it will last longer than you do. My wife gets really pissed when I buy cheap stuff and then complain about it. I mean she really slaps me down and chews me out.
I was on my third circular saw and needed a new one - burned the motor out on another... I said "I'm running to town for a new saw" - she said don't you DARE come back with a cheap one - you get the best they have or I'm sending you right back to town.
Sponsored