Newest special edition JKs

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
I know it's not a collector car but will the new special edition JK's be more coveted or "rare" since they're only going to be made for a short while and the last year of that model or will the new JL over shadow that concept? Or is it just a wrangler? Thing is I love special edition vehicles and now that they have introduced these new models I'm second guessing the wait.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
First as you acknowledge, 'collectible' is a tough idea for a Wrangler, rarity a bit more, understandable, and then it's better to be rare by having a not special edition but 'special order'.

Likely still as long of a run as a regular special edition, most of which come out during the winter/spring before the current April JK production cutoff date.
So just the novelty of the last edition JK , but looking at the Golden Eagle, it's not very impressive feature wise (even compared to a Chief, which had better options, and a more unique half colour combo). However a Recon in Golden garb would likely be more 'collectible' or unique kinda like the HyperGreen Hard Rocks and Recons which initially were not supposed to get that colour.
But... again anyone buying one as an investment is silly. As a novelty of a final run vehicle, sure, there's novelty in that, just no money or bragging rights, especially since others would be more 'unique'.

Probably the most limited special edition would've beed the Red Rock, and part of the quirkiness of that edition is that it was supposed to be "by invitation only", but the number of people who turned down their invites and couldn't give them away was almost comical, because everyone was hoping for something truly special like a Hemi, but it was just a very well appointed stock 'upgrade' but not supper crazy or super rugged, just a bump above what would later become the slightly lesser Recon. However because if the initial mild reception and underwhelming nature, a Red Rock that wasn't further modified might be somewhat 'rare'.

To me the people who will be interested in final SE models like the Altitude or Golden Eagle are people who had one before.

With next year being the 15th Anniversary of the Rubicon , that's the one I'm looking firward to, and not for the collectibility, but because it'll likely be the first good capable tweak of the JL.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
I would not confuse a Special Edition with a Limited Edition, and for Wrangler, it is typically the former, and rarely the latter. The only Special Edition that was intentionally limited, was the Red Rock, as already mentioned. Though, what could have made a Red Rock truly special, was also optional, which IMHO diluted any hope of any real extra value.

Then there was the Dragon. A Special Edition that is actually worth less, even to the dealers who were stuck with them on their lot for very long times. And I have some concern that the Golden Eagle, which has interest only because of its name, seems equipped to be son-of-Dragon.

I don't think in general Special Editions really carry very much extra value beyond a similarly equipped (equivalent) non-Special Edition Wrangler.

Unlike many other vehicles, Wranglers have changes throughout the model year. Special Editions come and go. Body colors come and go. Yes, true, there can be brief overlaps that result in some rather rare vehicles. For just one example, a Rubicon X in Copperhead. I think that combination was available for order, for only a week or two. Plus, the typical rumor mill didn't see it coming so there was no advanced warning or lines of people waiting outside dealers to order one. Is a Rubicon X in Copperhead worth substantially more, due to its rarity, than any other Rubicon X? I don't think so.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I argued in another thread that the 10A COULD have been considered a special edition or "rare" had they not taken those parts and created a half-dozen more appearance packages with them the following year.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Golden Eagle!! I hope it is not the son of dragon. Had a 77 cj7 golden eagle and it spawned my lifelong love of jeeps. If I was king or CEO of fiat Chrysler I would out fit like a recon get rid of the pimp red seat belts and trim. go with a tan leather/brown leather add 33's from the factory, make it something any true jeep guy would drool over.

As it was That jeep carried me on many adventurous places and scared me a few times too. H ere it is camped on a beach south of big sur . The trail to get there doesn't even exist any more. At the ripe age of 25 driving top down on the freeway, wearing my old straw cowboy hat. I got more than 1 request for a drink from a girl in the next lane over.. Yeah that was a cool jeep

jeep golden eagle5.jpg

Sponsored

Luis Angel Reyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2D StingGray, F-150 SuperCrew, Venza
This morning I found this news: https://good-speedcars.com/car-manu...er-jk-continues-on-for-2018-model-year/33329/

Jeep is expected to launch the next-generation JL Wrangler for the 2018 model year. But, as Fiat Chrysler revealed today in a list of product updates, the current JK Wrangler will live on for the 2018 model year.

For 2018, all Wrangler models get a new “Wrangler JK” decal on the driver’s side front quarter panel. Jeep’s effort to make it clear this is the outgoing Wrangler mean one of two things. Either Jeep will sell the current-generation JK alongside the new JL, or it will continue on with the JK before transitioning over to the JL midway through the 2018 model year.

The JK Wrangler receives a few swan song updates for 2018. New special edition models join the lineup, including the Golden Eagle and Altitude. Golden Eagle models feature cosmetic upgrades including a tan soft top, available tan half doors, Golden eagle badges, 17-inch bronze wheels wrapped in BF Goodrich K02 tires, bronze interior stitching, black cloth seats, a body color grille, and fender flares with bronze accents.

The Altitude returns for 2018 featuring a power bulge hood, standard body color hard top, and black taillamp guards and fuel fill door. These are offered along with 18-inch wheels wrapped with Bridgestone Dueler tires. Inside, look for Liquid Titanium interior accents, standard black leather seats, and Diesel Gray stitching.

It’s likely the next-generation Wrangler will debut on or before the Los Angeles Auto Show in late November. The model is expected to offer three engines, including a turbo direct-injected 2.0-liter “Hurricane” I-4, 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6, and 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I argued in another thread that the 10A COULD have been considered a special edition or "rare" had they not taken those parts and created a half-dozen more appearance packages with them the following year.
The following year, there was only the Rubicon X. It took a few model years until the unique features of the 10A, started to be used on Sahara based Special Editions. Though, your point is valid.

As to the Golden Eagle, we'll see if it is simply a liberal re-use of the Dragon's bronze accents. :D

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The following year, there was only the Rubicon X. It took a few model years until the unique features of the 10A, started to be used on Sahara based Special Editions. Though, your point is valid.

As to the Golden Eagle, we'll see if it is simply a liberal re-use of the Dragon's bronze accents. :D
That was a typo, should've been years.

And in that same thread, I jokingly argued the Dragon Edition could be considered special or rare if you can find one that a dealership didn't yank all the decals off of in order to try to sell them off as regular Saharas because nobody was buying them.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And in that same thread, I jokingly argued the Dragon Edition could be considered special or rare if you can find one that a dealership didn't yank all the decals off of in order to try to sell them off as regular Saharas because nobody was buying them.
Another part of the on-going joke is that a few dealers, in an attempt to get Dragons sold off their lots, actually re-branded them as "Golden Eagles".

auZHZgh.jpg

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another part of the on-going joke is that a few dealers, in an attempt to get Dragons sold off their lots, actually re-branded them as "Golden Eagles".

auZHZgh.jpg
You know, a better hood decal would've made that work, actually. Unfortunately, there's still the dragon stuff all over the seats and in the instrument cluster.

Sponsored

doh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 wrangler
Unlike many other vehicles, Wranglers have changes throughout the model year. Special Editions come and go. Body colors come and go. Yes, true, there can be brief overlaps that result in some rather rare vehicles. For just one example, a Rubicon X in Copperhead. I think that combination was available for order, for only a week or two. Plus, the typical rumor mill didn't see it coming so there was no advanced warning or lines of people waiting outside dealers to order one. Is a Rubicon X in Copperhead worth substantially more, due to its rarity, than any other Rubicon X? I don't think so.
it definitely keeps things interesting for everyone but can also be frustrating to possibly see less than trivial changes mid model year. the 3.0 ecodiesel and powertop seems to be following this path. it makes the decision of whether to wait that much harder when big changes can occur a few months after you pull the trigger.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it definitely keeps things interesting for everyone but can also be frustrating to possibly see less than trivial changes mid model year. the 3.0 ecodiesel and powertop seems to be following this path. it makes the decision of whether to wait that much harder when big changes can occur a few months after you pull the trigger.
Do you think FCA would feel bad if they were able to tease you back into the showroom few months later, and you bought yet another Wrangler? :devil:
Sponsored