First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Occupation
Consultant
I feel like I’m getting less fuel economy out of these than I expected. I expected it to be bad, but the best I can get on highway average is about 15mpg if I keep it at 65mph. Wondering if it’s really the tire or something else. Would have done Terra Grapplers but this is what the dealer had available and I worked rubber into our deal.

At 1400miles my life average is 13.5mpg.

Running them on a LE with stock rims, no lift.

I guess I’m just wondering what others are getting before I potentially waste time finding someone that would want to swap their A/T for my M/T, or put the stock rubber on to rule out some other issue. Really do love the look of the Trails and wouldn’t mind having the extra grab while I make stupid over-confident decisions about my off-road ability for the first year.
Sponsored

Tonopah01

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT auto; 2005 Wrangler TJ Unlimited
Occupation
retired
I also have an LE with about 1400 miles. 35 inch Toyo MT tires and the Mopar 2" lift. The truck's computer is telling me I'm averaging 17.2 so far.

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Silver Sport S, 77 trans am, Ducati 1098
Not sure why everyone is getting such different gas mileage numbers.....im guess it's the different types of driving everyone is doing? I get 16.5 completely stock in my maxtow sport s........some people have been getting 18-19 .........I will be putting on some 35-12.5-17 here soon and I'll report back

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
Stock Rubicon with 33" Falken MTs 19 mpg combined highway/city. I'm sure I could do better if I kept my speed on interstate under 75 mph.

OP
OP
Zacfrac

Zacfrac

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Occupation
Consultant
I also have an LE with about 1400 miles. 35 inch Toyo MT tires and the Mopar 2" lift. The truck's computer is telling me I'm averaging 17.2 so far.
Yeah see that’s about what I’d think we’d average with MTs.

At first I figured it was just that I was going to have to stop going 80mph everywhere, which isn’t really an enjoyable speed anyways, but even babying it I’m still feeling like somethings not right.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zacfrac

Zacfrac

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Occupation
Consultant
Not sure why everyone is getting such different gas mileage numbers.....im guess it's the different types of driving everyone is doing? I get 16.5 completely stock in my maxtow sport s........some people have been getting 18-19 .........I will be putting on some 35-12.5-17 here soon and I'll report back
Yikes, is that overall average or just what you’re getting on the highway?

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's overall....my job involves lots of traffic lights...not as much highway but I still thought it was alittle low....was wondering why myself and that's all stock

BullDogge

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, JK, WK2 TH, other Non-Jeeps.
Idk. I don't really bother looking, I think it is better than my other jeeps. For those with plus size tires, did you recalibrate speedo?

BullDogge

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, JK, WK2 TH, other Non-Jeeps.
Stock Rubicon. 17x9 wheels (26lbs), and 35x12.5 Ridge Grapplers. Re calibrated via tazer. Showing 15.2 mpg. This is all local driving, rarely getting up to 70 on highway for less than 5 miles at a time. Otherwise around town and up in the hills. Ill reset it today and see what I get for next couple days.

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone have a link for a good tazer? Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zacfrac

Zacfrac

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Occupation
Consultant
That's overall....my job involves lots of traffic lights...not as much highway but I still thought it was alittle low....was wondering why myself and that's all stock
I don’t think that too terrible for overall, if it’s a lot of stop and go. The getting going and idling
Stock Rubicon. 17x9 wheels (26lbs), and 35x12.5 Ridge Grapplers. Re calibrated via tazer. Showing 15.2 mpg. This is all local driving, rarely getting up to 70 on highway for less than 5 miles at a time. Otherwise around town and up in the hills. Ill reset it today and see what I get for next couple days.
Thanks for the info!

So I did have the dealer recalibrate the speedo when they put the tires on. I checked it vs a couple gps speedo apps and they match, however I noticed that the gps odometer is reading 6% higher than what I’m picking up on the (edit) Dash and the apps seem to match mile markers while the Jeep odometer falls behind them.

In my experience the GPS apps usually come in lower than actual due to cutting corners off and whatnot, so this is weird. 6% is also what the speedo adjustment would be for 33 to 35.

I’m going to just cave and buy a Tazer Mini, being able to unlock the sway bar in 2wd would also be nice for some of the easy back roads I’m frequently on, so I guess I’ll use that to justify it.

Everything I tried to find on the JL forums about dealer recalibration didn’t mention this, and I think I read that the Speedo and Odo were not separate calibrations.

I will report back in a few days with results, if it turns out that it’s possible for dealer to reset just one of the two independently by mistake, I’ll probably throw another post out there for people to watch out for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zacfrac

Zacfrac

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Occupation
Consultant

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
I have a similar setup. No lift on Rubicon and running 35x12.5 Ridge Grapplers on stock wheels and I get 18 highway running about 70 mph and average with about 50/50 highway city driving about 16. I have just under 4000 miles.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I feel like I’m getting less fuel economy out of these than I expected. I expected it to be bad, but the best I can get on highway average is about 15mpg if I keep it at 65mph. Wondering if it’s really the tire or something else. Would have done Terra Grapplers but this is what the dealer had available and I worked rubber into our deal.

At 1400miles my life average is 13.5mpg.

Running them on a LE with stock rims, no lift.

I guess I’m just wondering what others are getting before I potentially waste time finding someone that would want to swap their A/T for my M/T, or put the stock rubber on to rule out some other issue. Really do love the look of the Trails and wouldn’t mind having the extra grab while I make stupid over-confident decisions about my off-road ability for the first year.
Trail Grapplers are one of the heaviest, roughest tires on the market. They will decimate the fuel economy of any truck.

My buddy runs them on a F-150 and they wear like sh*t also.
Sponsored