dmigliorisi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray Mojave
Occupation
Software Engineers
Vehicle Showcase
Hey NJ owners, I just purchased my first Jeep. Now I want to see what all the off-road hype is about. Where do you take your Jeep to make the most of it? I'm in Monmouth County and can't find anywhere with trails that I can ride.
Sponsored

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
It’s been a while since I’ve lived and wheel’d in NJ. We used to go to Basto and the forest trails. Wheeling was mostly muding. Who knows, may be the whole area is now track homes? Good luck.

Eventyr_JT

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
IBEW Electrician
Watching this. I will be in NJ this summer and looking to wheel NJ, PA, WV, VA on the way back to NC.

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
I live in Ocean County and would hapily take you out into the Pines. Additionally, feel free to check out the New Jersey Jeep Association 501(c)(3). We host monthly meetings, private trail rides, etc.

Your options are pretty decent here in NJ, besides being only a couple hour drive from both Rausch Creek and AOAA. All NJ State Forests are legal wheeling for street legal and registered vehicles. That doesn't mean they are epic offroad parks, but if you prefer the sights over the technical prowess of offroading you will still have a great time.

Also, I highly encourage you research on the Trans New Jersey Trail which is a 460 mile backroad/offroad trip from High Point State Park all the way down to Cape May Lighthouse. I just did it in the Fall and it was worth the hype, bridges, waterfalls, camping. All in all it took 3 hard days of driving, I would recommend setting aside 4 days if you do it straight through like I did.

Sponsored

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Watching this. I will be in NJ this summer and looking to wheel NJ, PA, WV, VA on the way back to NC.

NJ is pretty tame, a few hidden gems among the Pine Barrens. PA I would suggest do AOAA if you will be in the Eastern side of PA, its more rocky than Rausch and less than half the price since there's no annual membership. In Northwestern VA there's a Jeep BOH Trail called Peter's Mill Run, it's a 2 hour straight through easy trail. Can be run either direction, I did it both ways totally stock.

NC I imagine you have been out to Uharrie? Then even further I encourage you to visit The Gulches in SC, very fun spot!

Eventyr_JT

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
IBEW Electrician
NJ is pretty tame, a few hidden gems among the Pine Barrens. PA I would suggest do AOAA if you will be in the Eastern side of PA, its more rocky than Rausch and less than half the price since there's no annual membership. In Northwestern VA there's a Jeep BOH Trail called Peter's Mill Run, it's a 2 hour straight through easy trail. Can be run either direction, I did it both ways totally stock.

NC I imagine you have been out to Uharrie? Then even further I encourage you to visit The Gulches in SC, very fun spot!
Yes, Uwharrie is lots of fun! Gulches is on my list, as well as Raush. I have heard of Peters Mill. Need to add it to the short list.
The Trans NJ Tr sounds interesting, although it would probably take most of my time off.
I guess I better start doing my research now, thanks!

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Let me know about your schedule as you plan things out. Mid June is Bantam Jeep Heritage Festival in PA, and mid July is NJ JP Invasion. Also I have family in VA so Peters Mill Run is practically on the way when I visit.

Brojave22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
ATC
Ive been to wharton a few times, cant seem to find the wider trails lol, any one have any suggestions on navigating the forest?

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
I'm new to all this also...Didn't think NJ had so may trails. Only downside is that they are generally very similar in nature. Fire trail types which is fine, and usually puddles/Mud (well, not as fine :).)...

From what I gather, most folks in NJ focus on the state parks like Warton, Colliers, and Brenden-B....But the entire southern half of the state is basically pine lands which are full of trails (many of which show up on Google-Maps and have real names :).) I found this out from my Chiropractor who was a big off-roader in the 90's.

I also joined the NJ jeep club 2 months ago, so far it hasn't been very "productive"...They had several trips out to Off-Road parks east of Allentown PA. LOVE to go but 3 hour ride each way for me just to get there so I passed. (Maybe they should call it the Eastern PA Jeep Club LOL!). They will be doing the Trans-NJ Trail again in the Fall, 2 days, 1/2 each, I hope to join the southern half...Anyway, for $40 dues not much downside to joining.

Sponsored

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
2 days? Geez, I did it last year in 3 but I didn't even have time to stop and enjoy some of the cool spots. I recommend 4 if you are doing it straight through. Take your time, stop often and take pictures etc. Some of my driving was at night just to keep it in 3 days.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
2 days? Geez, I did it last year in 3 but I didn't even have time to stop and enjoy some of the cool spots. I recommend 4 if you are doing it straight through. Take your time, stop often and take pictures etc. Some of my driving was at night just to keep it in 3 days.
I'm the "new" guy, the old timers in the Jeep Club are planning it out. I believe they did 1/2 the trail last year in one day (I think the southern half). This year they are doing the entire trail, I'll join them on day two.
Sponsored