Sponsored

no 4wd after tazer install

Rundeep_32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Hi All,

I have a 2021 gladiator Sport (manual/roll up windows) and installed a tazer that works great with LED lights, etc.

Here in the Boston area we got a couple of inches of snow and I went to put it into four-wheel-drive and all that happened was the back tires spinning... actually only the right rear a.k.a. one wheel peel lol.

Is there a setting on the tazer that I need to change in order to shift into four-wheel-drive? I even tried four wheel low and still it didn't go into 4WD, though oddly, the gearing went into 4WL.

Any ideas? Thank you, Ed
Sponsored

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
The transfer case is mechanical, even if the tazer broke something you would at least be driving 1 front wheel , unless the front actuator failed, but then the traction control and a fault light would be triggered. Did you try unmarrying and rebooting the truck ?

OP
OP

Rundeep_32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Yes, I know about my mechanical transfer case but I was just extrapolating that there are some tazer options such as line lock which I know we're for the 392s but something could've gone awry in that area… Definitely, not one front wheel was spinning it was only the right rear. In the snow. Do you think unmarrying would help question I definitely have rebooted the truck and I have also done a soft boot a couple of times.

Thanks for you help, Ed

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
Yes, I know about my mechanical transfer case but I was just extrapolating that there are some tazer options such as line lock which I know we're for the 392s but something could've gone awry in that area… Definitely, not one front wheel was spinning it was only the right rear. In the snow. Do you think unmarrying would help question I definitely have rebooted the truck and I have also done a soft boot a couple of times.

Thanks for you help, Ed
Tazer should have nothing to do with it. Remove the Tazer and verify if the behavior changes.

OP
OP

Rundeep_32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
ty. I will. It's my understanding that I don't need to unmarry the tazer, I simply need to remove the plugs and put them back into the factory box… Can anyone confirm that for me, please? Thanks so much Ed

Sponsored

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ty. I will. It's my understanding that I don't need to unmarry the tazer, I simply need to remove the plugs and put them back into the factory box… Can anyone confirm that for me, please? Thanks so much Ed
I would go right back to factory and do full unmarry. Only way to rule it's changes out entirely. Do you get a 4wd light in 4 high? Another test for lockup is go to a dirt road, 4wd high and try to do figure 8s. You should feel resistance in the steering wheel and hear/see wheel slip.

Marlinvx

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD, 2022 Audi Q3 S line
Occupation
Retired Navy, current Engineer
I don't see how it would be possible in any way for tazer to affect manually shifting the transfer case into 4wd. Pretty sure line lock affects the front brakes, nothing to do with 4wd (so you can do sweet burnouts if you have the diesel engine...:) .

OP
OP

Rundeep_32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Hi thank you,

22: Yes, I get a 4wd light in 4 high on the dash and also with 4 low. (and the gear ratios change per normal)

I'm doing this on snow so it's easy to see that the front wheel wheels are spinning and I have an observer in my son that's confirming the only tire spinning is the right rear. I want to do a full unmarry but I'm still not sure if after I unmarry, do I remove the taser and plug the wires into the stock receptacle whatever it's called by the OBD2?

Update! It's just weird because now my son who has a JL is reporting his rear wheel drive is only working… Unbeknownst to me, he played around with the car's tazers and I don't think he does full reboots or the two soft reboots and I'm guessing that's probably what the problem is... as soon as I can figure out the best way to unmarry the jeep. Do I keep the tazer installed or remove tazer and insert the 2 original wires back into a factory setup? Thank you all for so much help!

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Interesting. I agree with the other posts that the tazer shouldn't any effect, but it's worth a try to unmarry it, why not. The first thing I would do (having a observer or not) is put the puppy in 4 low and crank the wheel for a hard turn and drive it, you will definitely feel it if it's in 4wd.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rundeep_32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Trout - ty you for your input. AFAIK, the is no FAD w the tazer. With the sun starting to set here in the Boston area I'm going to unmarry the tazer but leave it plugged the way it is and see if that restores four-wheel-drive… If not I'm going to remove the taser and put the wiring back into the original spot to see if that restores four-wheel-drive… I'll be sure to let you guys know what happens!

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Trout - ty you for your input. AFAIK, the is no FAD w the tazer. With the sun starting to set here in the Boston area I'm going to unmarry the tazer but leave it plugged the way it is and see if that restores four-wheel-drive… If not I'm going to remove the taser and put the wiring back into the original spot to see if that restores four-wheel-drive… I'll be sure to let you guys know what happens!
Yo what happened man ?

OP
OP

Rundeep_32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Unmarried the Tazer rebooted the way the instruction say one full rebuild "soft boot" then plugged the wires back into the original car slot so the car is completely back to stock and still no four-wheel-drive I tried 4 high 4 low everything I could think of. I even took the neutrals off both batteries so the car was completely dead and left it overnight. Still didn't change anything.

So maybe it's not the Tazer maybe there is a problem with the car but what I find UNBELIEVABLY COINCIDENTAL is that I have a totally separate second new tazer in my gladiator and that also didn't go into 4WD the first time I tried (like 3 days ago). Any help would be delightful :)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
T-case may be "mechanical" but it and the fad communicate electronically over the bus so anything that talks on that bus or connects into the system could conceivably impact operation of many things. FAD won't disconnect until the t-case has told the system it's out of 4H or 4L for example. It must connect and relay "I'm connected". There's wires to that FAD. Imagine if it's not got the right axle halves locked and you go into 4wheel drive.
Sponsored