Sponsored

No hinge bolts on your doors?! You crazy?

No hinge bolts?

• Total voters

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Being a complete rookie to the whole Jeep thing, I was super stoked to get my doors off for the first time. It was only 50 degrees that day in Wisconsin, but totally worth it. Then I put the doors back on (with all bolts). Now, I just got my EAG tube doors and can't wait to swap them. But I know I'll have to swap them in and out with the regular doors for rainy days. But now you crazy people are saying I don't even have to put the hinge bolts on! Man, you're crazy. But, I am very intrigued.

Poll: how many people are this crazy?

Discussion questions: What things should a fella be made aware of when trying this crazy technique? Is this common practice, or just for you crazy few?

The time saved when swapping would be big-time, but I don't know if I buy it...
Sponsored

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I said all but I have only taken the doors of once and that was my JK. Not enough nice weekend days here in WI that I feel like going through the trouble. There is not a chance my wife is going to ride to work without doors.
  • a. Never warm enough in the morning
  • 2. Too windy to be showing up to work with the hair a mess
  • i. paranoid about security even though the lot I park in is camera monitored and extremely safe. Except maybe for some practical joker coworkers.But the are harmless.

UCnight

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
There's a lot of guys in my local jeep club that run with the bolts out all the time. I just started doing it as well. Planning on lubing the hinge whenever I take the doors on or off. I don't see much point to the bolts honestly.

OP
OP
TaxPhan

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Once they're off, they stay off. That's what all those little holes in the back are for.

IMG_2190.JPG
Do you put the bolts on for tube doors (assuming you have some)? Or are they designed to fit the same way as the regular doors, and thus you omit them there too?

Sponsored

OP
OP
TaxPhan

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
There's a lot of guys in my local jeep club that run with the bolts out all the time. I just started doing it as well. Planning on lubing the hinge whenever I take the doors on or off. I don't see much point to the bolts honestly.
Do you put the bolts on for tube doors (assuming you have some)? Or are they designed to fit the same way as the regular doors, and thus you omit them there too?

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
I just got the EAG tube doors installed and used the OEM hinge bolts.

I absolutely love these doors with mirrors vs no doors at all.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
@TaxPhan . During the spring/summer months, I run without the bolts when the stock doors are on... they're weighty enough to stay in place. I use the bolts with the tube doors on.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Bolts are for security - if you park in shady areas for long periods with your doors unlocked, bolt them. Otherwise don't waste the time. My JK never had the bolts back on once I removed the doors the first time.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Ran my LJ without bolts once I finally got them off, never had an issue. With a newborn on the way I doubt Ill be taking them off for awhile so Ive left them in. But, Ill be leaving them out once I remove them more often

Sponsored

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Not crazy. It works. Leave them off, push the door check in, and save yourself some time with only the wire harness to connect/disconnect.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I leave them off in the summer months because I take them off and on fairly often. But when I put them back on in the fall I put the bolts back in.
Ditto however if I know they are on for a few weeks I use one bolt. I purchased a electric screw driver so bolts are off in seconds with no potential scratching.

However I am curious how the doors would fair in an accident and if they would become projectiles

10mmauto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2008 Mustang Bullitt
Occupation
LEO
Vehicle Showcase
It depends on the type of door. I used to have cloth doors on my JK and you couldn't use them. I just ordered the EAG JL Matrix Tubular Doors and if they take the bolts, I'll probably use them. I'm not too worried about someone taking them, but you can never be too careful.

Dubya

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2000 TJ
I’m confused. Do you all mean the actual bolts or are you referring to the nuts that hold the bolt in? Big difference in my mind...
Sponsored