Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase
So, left my jeep at shop for a couple of minor suspension items to be tweaked, came and picked it up today, they had it running out front, the dealer had the key, I drove 22 miles and did not have a notice or anything. They got me the key, i tried it back at my office, and yep, once started and key taken out, you can drive it. My wifes expediton wont allow you to do anything without the key. Anyone have this same issue?
Sponsored

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
I was riding shotgun the other day as I had knee replacement surgery. I had the key in my pocket as my wife drove. She dropped me off the door of the restaurant while she drove around back and parked. It wasn’t until later that we realized it drove fine without the key anywhere near the Jeep.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I have a friend that started his motorcycle in his garage and drove off to work. He stoped at the gas station shut the bike off and filled up. When he went to restart the bike he realized that he did not have the key as he left in hanging in the garage. His wife had to bring him the key.

After hearing his story I try to always double check that I do indeed have my key with me.

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
Interesting....I know sometimes with the wife and I run into a store sometimes and leave her in the running car. When I get back she reminds me to leave the key next time because the bells and whistles are going off because it doesn't detect the key.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Every vehicle I’ve ever driven that has a proximity key is like that. I never understood why they are allowed to shift out of park without recognizing the key inside the vehicle. This is far from a Gladiator thing or a Jeep thing, or a malfunction. I’ve personally owned many makes that do it and driven countless others that also do.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah mine can drive without the key. Wish I could leave it in the house and drive mine all the time without it. This key Fob Brick thing is a monster. I don't think I have ever owned a vehicle with such a big key fob. FCA must not of thought about the fact that most men put these things in their pockets.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I like this feature... I can pull up, jump out, hit my door button on the door handle. Do my business and come back out, put hand into my door handle, jump back in and drive off... super handy when it’s sooo cold out.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I like this feature... I can pull up, jump out, hit my door button on the door handle. Do my business and come back out, put hand into my door handle, jump back in and drive off... super handy when it’s sooo cold out.
I think you're talking about the proximity key specifically. They may not be talking about proximity keyless entry/start.

my sport s with non-proximity key can still start the truck and walk off. I don't remember if the truck honks, but our FCA pacifica van will only honk 3 times and then continue to run.

I haven't tested if it will let you shift into drive with key away from truck though after its

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
So, left my jeep at shop for a couple of minor suspension items to be tweaked, came and picked it up today, they had it running out front, the dealer had the key, I drove 22 miles and did not have a notice or anything. They got me the key, i tried it back at my office, and yep, once started and key taken out, you can drive it. My wifes expediton wont allow you to do anything without the key. Anyone have this same issue?
I can't find the thread but there was a long discussion about this and someone posted a YouTube video with a guy in a Wrangler that did tests on how far you can go without the key fob. He even put the fob on a drone and went all over the place without it but as Soon as you turn it off your dead in the water without the key. My wife's Ford escape chimes and alerts as soon as it detects the key gone.

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
I can't find the thread but there was a long discussion about this and someone posted a YouTube video with a guy in a Wrangler that did tests on how far you can go without the key fob. He even put the fob on a drone and went all over the place without it but as Soon as you turn it off your dead in the water without the key. My wife's Ford escape chimes and alerts as soon as it detects the key gone.
So does my wife’s Cruze

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
My 2017 Mustang 5.0 does it as soon as you exit the vehicle. Literally, you step out and the car beeps and says key not found. Yeah I don't think there is any shut off or warning for the Gladiator. The mustang want even let you lock

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Hopefully it's not turned off at a chop shop.

Last edited:

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
If the key is not inside the JT while running and you shut the shut the engine down, you have a VERY SHORT time that you can push the ignition button and restart the JT, if you wait too long it will not restart.

Also, as on the video @Hootbro posted the dash will display the message "Key Fob has Left the Vehicle" while the engine is running and the key fob is not detected inside the JT.

dstephns

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 1966 Sunbeam Tiger
If the key is not inside the JT while running and you shut the shut the engine down, you have a VERY SHORT time that you can push the ignition button and restart the JT, if you wait too long it will not restart.

Also, as on the video @Hootbro posted the dash will display the message "Key Fob has Left the Vehicle" while the engine is running and the key fob is not detected inside the JT.
I know, off topic, but I love your avatar. LOL!
Sponsored