Sponsored

No padding wrapped around the JT's roll bars?

cajun charlie

First Name
Cajun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Does anyone know why there is no padding wrapped around the JT's roll bars?
Sponsored

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
There's none on the JL 2 door or 4 door, right? Or does it have plastic panels on those bars that face the occupants?

But I'm with you and prefer old school padded and wrapped roll bars.

OP
OP
cajun charlie

cajun charlie

First Name
Cajun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
There's none on the JL 2 door or 4 door, right? Or does it have plastic panels on those bars that face the occupants?

But I'm with you and prefer old school padded and wrapped roll bars.
Maybe someone like @BestopTeam will make some after market options

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Yes these guys too sell the Katzkin covers https://www.shopsar.com, but I thought Katzkin Products were only sold direct to upholstery and installation shops? And at $350 it is pricey. Have to think others will come to market with covers but its been a year on the JL and only 1 option?

Long story, but (way) back in college me and some girls were out riding around in my CJ-7. The least brightest of the bunch decided, after I told her to buckle up, that she didn't need to do so because she was in the back seat. If you don't know, the CJ's leaf springs give anything but a smooth ride. We went through an intersection that had a drainage culvert built into the street and bounced hard. And she popped out of the seat and smacked my UNpadded roll bar with her forehead. Her forehead began to swell like a golf ball was inside it...prompting a trip to the emergency room for her moderate concussion. For the next month she looked like a raccoon as the blood drained down around her eyelids. Some lessons have to be learned the hard way...

All this to say, over the years since, all my roll bars (even my Toyota FJ40) get padded. To not include pads on the roll bars is a cheap bean counter move...

Sponsored

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE 2018 JLUR
But the roll bars on the CJ’s were round tube and on the cheap you could use pipe insulation to pad then. The JL and JT tunes are wide and somewhat flat. What if not custom made would you use to pad them?

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
What is Katzkin doing? Would not surprise me that the foam is custom molded, hence the price.

There’s extremely thick acoustical foam sold in flat form. But it’s not as quite as dense as roll bar padding so I’m not sure that’s a viable solution.

For my FJ40 I made a custom rear cage which then required me to piece together and modify the wrap and padding from two CJ kits that an upholstery shop stitched up. Looked custom at mass market CJ padding kit prices.

Doesn’t the JK have non-round bars? How similar are the tube shapes? To what extent could one of these kits be modified to work?

relapsekg

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon; 2012 VW GTI ; 1999 S10 ZR2
Occupation
IT
The roll bars are not comparable to a CJ, they are not really an issue bumping your head anywhere but maybe on the left or right side if you are tall.

They have plastic trim panels along the passenger facing side.

relapsekg

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon; 2012 VW GTI ; 1999 S10 ZR2
Occupation
IT
Here are some pictures

roll1.jpg

roll 2.jpg

Sponsored

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I was never a fan of the padded bars in my TJ. Looked a bit goofy, and absorbed every speck of dust and grime that came in contact with them. The JL and JT look sleeker with the color matched outside and trim inside, and are much easier to wipe clean.

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
I like the non-padded look MUCH more. Glad the JL did away with it.

OP
OP
cajun charlie

cajun charlie

First Name
Cajun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Another reason i would prefer the bars padded, Friday when hoisting the hard up, the painted bar was scuffed by the top on the way up. Easy enough to buff out, but could be a pain to have to do after every top removal.
Sponsored