Sponsored

No Retractable Tonneau Covers for Gladiators?

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
Maybe this has been covered here before and I missed it, but as a diesel holdout, I am starting to make plans for my Gladiator, since I can sense they will be coming soon (but that is another thread, I know). I sent a note to Retrax asking when they were going to have a Gladiator model. This was their response, which I am sharing with their permission:

Gladiator Bed.png

"Thank you for contacting Retrax. Unfortunately we are not making a cover for the Jeep Gladiator. The angled gas tank poses a unique challenge as we have no space to drop out canister in. Also there is no place to clamp the cover on to as these rails do not allow us to use a “C” clamp to attach to the bed. The underside of these are closed off not allowing us to secure the cover to the bed. For these reasons we will not be making a cover for this truck."

It seems to me that the fuel filler location will be a deal killer for any drop in retractable cover, leaving flip ups and roll ups as the only options. If somebody sees it differently, I am all ears. In the meantime, I am starting to look at the roll up options with aluminum slats that provide a degree of security. My goal is a secure, lockable tonneau that has a track along the sides to allow a rack to be mounted above the bed. Would be interested in any recommendations there.
Sponsored

markleone22

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Maybe this has been covered here before and I missed it, but as a diesel holdout, I am starting to make plans for my Gladiator, since I can sense they will be coming soon (but that is another thread, I know). I sent a note to Retrax asking when they were going to have a Gladiator model. This was their response, which I am sharing with their permission:

Gladiator Bed.png

"Thank you for contacting Retrax. Unfortunately we are not making a cover for the Jeep Gladiator. The angled gas tank poses a unique challenge as we have no space to drop out canister in. Also there is no place to clamp the cover on to as these rails do not allow us to use a “C” clamp to attach to the bed. The underside of these are closed off not allowing us to secure the cover to the bed. For these reasons we will not be making a cover for this truck."

It seems to me that the fuel filler location will be a deal killer for any drop in retractable cover, leaving flip ups and roll ups as the only options. If somebody sees it differently, I am all ears. In the meantime, I am starting to look at the roll up options with aluminum slats that provide a degree of security. My goal is a secure, lockable tonneau that has a track along the sides to allow a rack to be mounted above the bed. Would be interested in any recommendations there.

Hey Matt. I just ordered a Sport S in Gator. Newbie, here. First experience with a Jeep in any form. I, along with many, am after what you're after.

So this topic has been covered pretty extensively here. Seems like the best option as we sit here now is this pricey but awesome cover (you'll see on the landing page the announcement that they are now making a cover for the '20 Gladiator, with a photo of one in black). Unfortunately, I don't see a better option for a rack above this cover than the one they show, which sits right on top of the cover, instead of being elevated at a fixed or adjustable height over the cover. The tonneau seems perfect. A rack system to go above this cover ... not so much (not to my liking anyway). FYI, these tonneaus are about 5 weeks out to truck outfitter shops, as of the other day.

https://www.truckcoversusa.com/

Kntwltrs

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Ram 1500, 00 Ford Excursion -7.3L, 18 ram 5500
Unfortunately, I don't see a better option for a rack above this cover than the one they show
Agreed , the only one I’ve seen that offers a retractable cover with a usable rack is nuthouse industries. They offer the option of one but I haven’t seen actual pics of the rack with the retractable cover and they definitely are not cheap but look to be extremely well built (Custom & by hand). I am on the waitlist to build but I’m also hoping that SEMA brings some new things to market for those of us wanting an expedition rack and a retractable cover or a roll up cover that is secure - BakX4 is supposed to be bringing got one to market soon. Almost forgot, Pace Edwards is supposed to be making a retractable cover for the Gladiator.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Unfortunately, I don't see a better option for a rack above this cover than the one they show, which sits right on top of the cover, instead of being elevated at a fixed or adjustable height over the cover. The tonneau seems perfect. A rack system to go above this cover ... not so much (not to my liking anyway).
Perhaps the Yakima Tonneau Kit 1 would work on the Truck Cover as well? Yakima says it is made for the Retrax, but it looks like it might be able to utilize the rails on the Truck Cover?

https://www.yakima.com/ca/tonneau-kit-1

markleone22

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Perhaps the Yakima Tonneau Kit 1 would work on the Truck Cover as well? Yakima says it is made for the Retrax, but it looks like it might be able to utilize the rails on the Truck Cover?

https://www.yakima.com/ca/tonneau-kit-1
Well, my Gator JT is about 3 weeks out, but I went ahead and ordered the tonneau cover from Truck Covers USA. I'll have to ask the guys when they do the install.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The title to my post is wrong. There IS (or will be) a retractable for the Gladiator, as you guys noted above. I communicated with www.truckcoversusa.com and they provided me the following picture of a cover for the Gladiator that has tracks for a Yakima rack. They said they got around the fuel filler by making their box smaller so that it fits. They should be available soon. The cover in the picture is $2199 and the tracks run another $200. I am a bit bummed, because I spent three days last week within a couple of miles of their facility and did not click to where they were until I got back. Oh well.

JeepGladiator (002).jpg

markleone22

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
The title to my post is wrong. There IS (or will be) a retractable for the Gladiator, as you guys noted above. I communicated with www.truckcoversusa.com and they provided me the following picture of a cover for the Gladiator that has tracks for a Yakima rack. They said they got around the fuel filler by making their box smaller so that it fits. They should be available soon. The cover in the picture is $2199 and the tracks run another $200. I am a bit bummed, because I spent three days last week within a couple of miles of their facility and did not click to where they were until I got back. Oh well.

JeepGladiator (002).jpg
Yup. That is accurate. I am waiting to take delivery of my Gator JT, but I already put $1000 deposit on that Truck Covers USA tonneau cover. It's about three-week delivery of that cover to the outfitter from the time of order, so I am hoping both the truck and the cover will arrive around the same time. The outfitter handed me a sample of the cover material when I was in to make the deposit. Super light, strong aluminum, super quality. You can probably jump up and down on that cover with no effect. I'm super psyched. Yes it does have the track that will fit that Yakima rack. I just wished the tracks fit the Yakima Tonneau Kit 1 rack system, which fits the Retrax XR covers. I've heard mixed intel here that the Yakima Tonneau Kit 1 would fit on the Truck Covers USA cover. I will report back when they install the cover and I ask more questions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yup. That is accurate. I am waiting to take delivery of my Gator JT, but I already put $1000 deposit on that Truck Covers USA tonneau cover. It's about three-week delivery of that cover to the outfitter from the time of order, so I am hoping both the truck and the cover will arrive around the same time. The outfitter handed me a sample of the cover material when I was in to make the deposit. Super light, strong aluminum, super quality. You can probably jump up and down on that cover with no effect. I'm super psyched. Yes it does have the track that will fit that Yakima rack. I just wished the tracks fit the Yakima Overhaul HD rack system, which fits the Retrax XR covers. I've heard mixed intel here that the Yakima Overhaul HD would fit on the Truck Covers USA cover. I will report back when they install the cover and I ask more questions.
Have you talked to the customer service people at Truck Covers about whether they have more than one option for the tracks? I just want a rack for a standard set of Yakima bars, so that is what I asked them about. Perhaps they can give you a different track design if you ask?

markleone22

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Have you talked to the customer service people at Truck Covers about whether they have more than one option for the tracks? I just want a rack for a standard set of Yakima bars, so that is what I asked them about. Perhaps they can give you a different track design if you ask?
I have not, Matt, but I plan to.

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
Yup. That is accurate. I am waiting to take delivery of my Gator JT, but I already put $1000 deposit on that Truck Covers USA tonneau cover. It's about three-week delivery of that cover to the outfitter from the time of order, so I am hoping both the truck and the cover will arrive around the same time. The outfitter handed me a sample of the cover material when I was in to make the deposit. Super light, strong aluminum, super quality. You can probably jump up and down on that cover with no effect. I'm super psyched. Yes it does have the track that will fit that Yakima rack. I just wished the tracks fit the Yakima Tonneau Kit 1 rack system, which fits the Retrax XR covers. I've heard mixed intel here that the Yakima Tonneau Kit 1 would fit on the Truck Covers USA cover. I will report back when they install the cover and I ask more questions.
Do you know if you have to remove the Rail-Trail tracks from the bed? I really like this option except for the price. ugh! but it's essentially what I would need to haul bikes but also have a cover.

Reactions: Tim

Sponsored

markleone22

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Do you know if you have to remove the Rail-Trail tracks from the bed? I really like this option except for the price. ugh! but it's essentially what I would need to haul bikes but also have a cover.
I didn't get the cargo package for my JT, but I am pretty certain that cover can be installed with or without the Trail Rail System.

BullDogge

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, JK, WK2 TH, other Non-Jeeps.

JeepGladiator (002).jpg
That is pretty awesome. 2200 seems steep, no?

Naroko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator
Any new news on this retractable version or any new versions. I love the look but 2200 is expensive considering you can get a retractable cover for the chevy colorado which has almost the same bed dimensions for $1300.

block

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jk
Any new news on this retractable version or any new versions. I love the look but 2200 is expensive considering you can get a retractable cover for the chevy colorado which has almost the same bed dimensions for $1300.

exactly i was wondering the same... ive emailed a few places they said no info yet.. i hope something comes out soon
Sponsored