Sponsored

No TPMS

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Anyone roll without TPMS sensors? Wanting to order new wheels and tires for my wife’s new jeep but the late 21 sensors are unobtanium from the dealer or elsewhere so I’m considering just going without. Any issues with this? Before anyone asks the factory take offs will be sold complete because cost of dismounting and remounting to get the sensors pretty much undermines any value factory take offs have.
Sponsored

Reactions: Mac

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
Several TPMS makers such as Schrader and Autel make "universal" TPMS sensors that someone with a dedicated TPMS programming rig (several hundred dollars, not just a "re-learner" - so this would be a tire shop) can supposedly program to work with nearly any specific vehicle. The 2021 sensors from after-mid-21 are so new that you would probably want to very specifically ask and confirm if whatever 'universal' sensor, programmer, etc., can in fact sync up.

Or, there seem to be sensors for post-mid-2021 here. I have no affiliation, but I did order sensors from them the other day for my 2020, since so many other places seem to either have none or are jacking the prices up
https://www.tpmsbargains.com/Jeep-Wrangler-TPMS-s/1958.htm

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
The constant warning is pretty annoying and its nice to check how cold PSI updates net out once warmed up on the road through the interface. For my 5th full spare, I purchased a stock sport wheel & tire just to scavenge the TPMS sensor for the exact same reason you describe. You can deflate, pop the bead and remove your existing stock TPMS sensors with basic hand tools. Throw them in shed/storage until they are plentiful again, install them yourself and air it back up. Meanwhile you have the correct factory sensors on your new inbound set.

Builds after June 15th are the one's with the ultra rare variants. Last I checked on BO 500+ units deep in the northeast region. You could probably get a full set of 4 post-June 15th sport wheels/tires/tpms takeoffs for a few hundred on CL. My single to scavenge was $75 but I know that guy would have taken $200 for all 4.

OP
OP
FLUndertaker

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
The constant warning is pretty annoying and its nice to check how cold PSI updates net out once warmed up on the road through the interface. For my 5th full spare, I purchased a stock sport wheel & tire just to scavenge the TPMS sensor for the exact same reason you describe. You can deflate, pop the bead and remove your existing stock TPMS sensors with basic hand tools. Throw them in shed/storage until they are plentiful again, install them yourself and air it back up. Meanwhile you have the correct factory sensors on your new inbound set.

Builds after June 15th are the one's with the ultra rare variants. Last I checked on BO 500+ units deep in the northeast region. You could probably get a full set of 4 post-June 15th sport wheels/tires/tpms takeoffs for a few hundred on CL. My single to scavenge was $75 but I know that guy would have taken $200 for all 4.
Yeah I am looking for a set of take off sport wheels but so far all I’ve found have had the sensors already scavenged or I couldn’t confirm the build date. My fear is buying a set and getting hosed with a set of pre June build sensors that would be worthless to me.

anyone confirm the sensors in the JT are the same as the JL?? Same build date cut off?

Sponsored

QuickOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Yeah I am looking for a set of take off sport wheels but so far all I’ve found have had the sensors already scavenged or I couldn’t confirm the build date. My fear is buying a set and getting hosed with a set of pre June build sensors that would be worthless to me.

anyone confirm the sensors in the JT are the same as the JL?? Same build date cut off?

Look for someone with "continental tire pressure sensors" on their window sticker. But right now, as you said, unobtanium.

I had my factory ones removed from my OE wheels and replaced with rubber stems - tire shop didn't charge me and just asked I tip the installer. So it is economical, just need to find a place to do it for you. Took them less than an hour.

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
When I put new wheels and tires on mine I bought MOPAR sensors for them. I was never able to get the rear to pick up a reading. I swapped the wheels front to rear and then the wheels would read up front but the rear still wouldn't read. I ended up just turning off the TPMS with Jscan. I should never have spent the money on sensors.
Sponsored