Sponsored

No trailer brake controller? Really?

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I’m just coming from the LA auto show. I was looking at a new Colorado ZR2. Seeing the new Gladiator has changed my mind. I want one. One head scratcher though. With all this talk about best in class towing capability, I must be missing something. Is this seriously the only mid sized truck that does not have an available trailer brake controller? Am I to understand that I would need to take my brand new truck and cut it up to stick an aftermarket brake controller under the dash somewhere? Please tell me I am wrong.
Sponsored

JAY

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Per our Q&A from the LA reveal @ https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...om-jeep-gladiator-debut-at-la-auto-show.8481/

Q: Does the Gladiator come with an integrated brake controller?
A: No, it comes standard with an integrated trailer sway controller which helps control vehicle/trailer swaying. If the vehicle senses the back end swaying, ESC will clamp down and control it.

Q: Will there be a Mopar brake controller unit available?
A: Yes, there will be a Mopar brake controller module which simply plugs into the factory AUX ports and provides brake controller function.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
So not only P&P Brake controller but built in Sway Control also.

OP
OP
DesertDog

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Really?! That’s awesome. Thanks

I was goring to buy one anyway
Okay. Just checked with two Mopar parts counters plus online chat. Nobody has heard of a plug and play brake controller or anything that will work.

Sponsored

BodhiMac

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
My ‘17 Taco doesn’t have an available brake controller or sway control. Sway control would be nice along with brake control for my teardrop if it ever gets built.

OP
OP
DesertDog

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Wow
My ‘17 Taco doesn’t have an available brake controller or sway control. Sway control would be nice along with brake control for my teardrop if it ever gets built.
. Really?? I didn’t know that.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Okay. Just checked with two Mopar parts counters plus online chat. Nobody has heard of a plug and play brake controller or anything that will work.
I’d wait before checking the parts counters. Unless it’s an orderable part in the system those points of contact are pretty useless. The JT isn’t even an orderable product so hang on before throwing folks under the bus.

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
I hope it will be integrated aftermarket like on the ram. pop out some plastic somewhere and have a nice button. I would even pay for a plug in black box and use a screen to adjust the settings. I just dont want to drill holes and hang an ugly box somewhere much like DesertDog.

Was the question ever asked if there was a tow/haul mode or has anyone seen a button somewhere?

Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I hope it will be integrated aftermarket like on the ram. pop out some plastic somewhere and have a nice button. I would even pay for a plug in black box and use a screen to adjust the settings. I just dont want to drill holes and hang an ugly box somewhere much like DesertDog.

Was the question ever asked if there was a tow/haul mode or has anyone seen a button somewhere?
I'll have to snap a picture of the "knee mangler" that is my current brake controller in my JKU. I would definitely dashboard integrated mounting point as well.

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
I'll have to snap a picture of the "knee mangler" that is my current brake controller in my JKU. I would definitely dashboard integrated mounting point as well.
that is exactly what I would like to avoid haha. I just got the factory one for my ram and the interface is very small.

A: Yes, there will be a Mopar brake controller module which simply plugs into the factory AUX ports and provides brake controller function.
Installed next to the cargo plug button? Or is it going to take one of the 4 extra AUX buttons?
This spot looks pretty prime to me.
upload_2018-12-13_9-39-39.png

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Well, Jeep just added the Gladiator to their "Build" page so you can build one... sans pricing. It has the trailer brake option though.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Looks like it replaces the cigarette lighter? Not fancy but integrated is most cool

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
As RedTRex said, it looks like it replaced the 12V power outlet in the dash. Interesting that they said it was not an option then it shows up?
brake-controller.jpg
Sponsored