Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S, RIP.
Occupation
Senior Construction Inspector
Vehicle Showcase
Non running concepts or clay models are often displayed this way to support the vehicle, every car company does this:
Jeep Gladiator No wonder AMC went out of business… 24C4CC23-B760-4572-8F89-ABA2D6DF94A5
Jeep Gladiator No wonder AMC went out of business… A6218AEB-1A23-4831-A69A-7D0C9663EEAE
Jeep Gladiator No wonder AMC went out of business… 34A45637-7BF0-42FF-918A-BB3F5CCAC596
Jeep Gladiator No wonder AMC went out of business… 15E6FD2B-2B01-4DDE-AD30-0BC775DA5967
Jeep Gladiator No wonder AMC went out of business… D390C103-DCCB-4050-A7A7-A07FEC1077B9

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Non running concepts or clay models are often displayed this way to support the vehicle, every car company does this:
24C4CC23-B760-4572-8F89-ABA2D6DF94A5.jpeg
A6218AEB-1A23-4831-A69A-7D0C9663EEAE.jpeg
34A45637-7BF0-42FF-918A-BB3F5CCAC596.jpeg
15E6FD2B-2B01-4DDE-AD30-0BC775DA5967.jpeg
D390C103-DCCB-4050-A7A7-A07FEC1077B9.jpeg
Yup - the models done for the AMXII and III were pretty cool. They were even actually built in the end - a few, anyway.
There were multiple concepts versions made but they didn't have the cash to go with it.

The board poo-poo'd the idea of a 4 wheel drive car when first presented - saying no one would ever want or buy a 4 wheel drive car?? It would never sell, silly idea, and with the fuel crisis forget it.
But in about 76 Roy Lunn was tasked with "do it". The project cost only a few million to retool for.

It was very simple - flip the rear differential under the leaf springs to boost the height of the rear, new steering knuckle that was longer (taller) so they could use existing upper suspension (same upper control arms, same upper ball joints, same design springs just different rates) and simply design a different cross-member and lower control arms (boxed and swept back) to handle the load/stress and fill the wheel opening gaps so it didn't look silly with flares.
The first year (1980) they used existing Spirit and Concord fenders. That worked pretty well except - the wider front stance and steering knuckles meant the front wheels swung out a bit on turns, rolling the front of the wheel opening back. The flares totally covered that but it did make a sound as the tires touched the fenders behind the trim. Solution - extend the wheel opening forward about 1" and different trim.
The only changes needed were to set the rear differential under the leaf springs instead of on top, the center floor panels needed to be modified to make clearance for the transfer case, front driver seat frame needed to be modified to fit the new floor tunnel, new front cross member, steering knuckles, lower control arms. Kelsey Hayes was already making front hubs for 4x4 vehicles so there was that solution. New Process had a slick transfer case - but no customers for it......... until AMC came along. AMC made their own differentials but found it cheaper to use the Dana front differential system (AMC later sold their own differential rights to Dana)
The FAD and control system was also used in Jeeps.
They modified the block of the 258 to hold a pinion brace for the front diff - a mod that MOPAR left in place for years.
For the first time in AMC history they had to add extra shifts and could not keep up with demand for product. They fell way behind - I waited 3 months to get a 1984 Eagle wagon. But it was too little, too late. Renault had sucked away all remaining AMC cash (my son and I call them "engulf and devour" - they have a history of rape and pillage and draining cash from partner companies)
Had the board approved the concept a few years earlier? Had they not partnered with the rapist French Renault....?

Leave it to Jalopnik to laugh at what's done by almost every company as far as design and concept. Maybe they also aren't aware that some of the engineers and designers for AMC did their own things - there are electric Pacers and Gremlins out there -AMC had no intention, but their engineers built those things like engineers do - let's see what we can do and if it works, try to sell it.
I see the date "1979" in that article - by that time the Eagle was a done deal and ready to go.
My guess is that it's that way so people can see UNDER it and see how they did things - NOT because things won't clear. Heck they already had all of the suspension and drivetrain for the Eagle and they owned Jeep for several years by then (AMC also created the modern SUV in the unibody Jeep Cherokee and had the Grand Cherokee on the board - it's why MOPAR bought AMC - Lee wanted that Grand Cherokee so bad he could taste it (and the engines they had on the drawing boards already which MOPAR used)

I guess I'm saying - what's the big deal - AMC already had everything necessary to make any of their vehicles 4 wheel drive with some minor mods. Swing the rear differential under the springs, the biggest thing with Pacer is that the front suspension was different from any other AMC, unique to Pacer, but still.......... and as far as on Jackstands - a display model, look under it - thus the angles. Some of us do that for show cars, mirrors and other stuff.
I've had signs by my car that say "look under here!" to show off the fact it's the first U.S. made CUV and 4 wheel drive car.

I found this bit on the internet - interesting take -

Railroaded by Renault, then left to rot on the vine by Chrysler, the original Eagle was never given the chance to evolve into the modern crossover it could very well have become. AMC’s inability to engineer a second-generation version of the vehicle, combined with Chrysler’s laser-like focus on Jeep above any other brand bundled along with its purchase of American Motors, doomed the four-wheeler to perpetual pioneer status, a forever footnote to what is now the single most profitable slice of the global automotive pie.

Here I am just waiting for @ShadowsPapa to show up and drop some knowledge, lol ... 🍿 🍿 🍿
Did I disappoint? LOL

Underslung rear differential -
Jeep Gladiator No wonder AMC went out of business… tailpipe

Eagle front hub (I have a pair of NOS hubs) -
Jeep Gladiator No wonder AMC went out of business… nos-hub

Jeep Gladiator No wonder AMC went out of business… skidplate

They used steel brackets to hold the front differential in place - cheap, quick, easy solution -

Jeep Gladiator No wonder AMC went out of business… sx4-jeep-engine-FAD

Jeep Gladiator No wonder AMC went out of business… sx4-hubs-015

T5 transmission, below is a NOS (new old stock) New Process transfer case I bought still in the crate I installed into mine as the viscous coupling burst in my original transfer case at about 160,000 miles. I found one still in the crate. When that coupling went it was like an open differential between the front and rear axles.

They had to go hydraulic clutch because they packed a lot into the little car - no room for linkage to clear the front driveshaft, etc.

Jeep Gladiator No wonder AMC went out of business… sx4-exhaust-new-007

Better view of the front end - with of all things, a steering dampener.......

Jeep Gladiator No wonder AMC went out of business… steering-stabilizer-2

Jeep Gladiator No wonder AMC went out of business… sx4-060

Jeep Gladiator No wonder AMC went out of business… sx4-under_2389

Non-stock class because of the silly Jeep engine I stuck in it.
Note it's the same basic car as the Spirit, the extra space in the wheel openings is filled with the "fender flares".
The Eagle sits 3" higher than the Concord or Spirit sat.

Jeep Gladiator No wonder AMC went out of business… AMO-entry

Last edited:

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator No wonder AMC went out of business… 20200425_162330_HDR

I want twin carbs sticking up through the hood of my JT...........

OP
OP
XraytecH

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
QUOTE="ShadowsPapa, post: 868585, member: 25284"]

Non-stock class because of the silly Jeep engine I stuck in it.
Note it's the same basic car as the Spirit, the extra space in the wheel openings is filled with the "fender flares".
The Eagle sits 3" higher than the Concord or Spirit sat.

AMO-entry.png

[/QUOTE]

Very Cool

Looks like a slightly stretched Honda CXR
Sponsored