Sponsored

Non-working MOPAR Aux Switches? Check your battery!

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
PSA, if you hop into your JL/JT and the aux switches button text light up but aux switch orange indicator light doesn't light up when the button is pressed, get your battery charged up!

Ran into this today on my 2020 JT, stumped me for a bit until I realized it's been a bit cold recently and I seldomly drive my JT. There was no notification text on the UConnect screen at boot up like others have reported, just non working aux buttons. You can check the voltage by moving through the menus on the guage cluster, sure enough mine was low. I assume the vehicle kills power to the buttons to preserve battery for startups. After driving it 10 or so minutes the aux buttons re-enabled themselves on their own.

Just wanted to spread the word so people don't make unnecessary dealership visits.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
In my 2020, which didn't have the aux switches, the BCM setting to disable them was 11.8 volts.
I have not checked it in my 2022 which does have them as of yet.
11.8 is basically a dead battery (well, like 30% charged or less) so that seems waaay low to me, but the point is, yes, these to shut down to preserve battery charge.
In fact, there are other things that are told to either sleep or shut down if the IBS reports certain voltage levels.
These don't do so well when they sit a week so especially in COLD weather (and SD counts for experiencing cold recently) a battery tender or "minder" is a great idea.
Just sitting these can go from 12.6 (not fully charged) to 12.2 in 2 or 3 days. I mentioned the 12.6 because these take a long time to fully charge just driving them especially in the COLD.
Cold batteries don't charge easily or quickly. Mine runs 14.9-15.0 volts in the last month or so and yet even an hour doesn't fully charge the batteries if it's been sitting a couple of days.

Point - especially in cold weather - if your truck sits more than a couple of days, and/or if you drive less than 30 minutes a day, either periodically fully charge it with a good charger, or put a battery tender on it.