First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
sales
I have been considering an arb on board twin compressor. Right now, I have a Vlair compressor that hooks up to my battery. I don't use it as often as I should because the time it takes to deflate and reinflate only makes it worth it when I really, really need to. This compressor seems to be a really good option. If there are better choices I'm all ears. But my main question is whether or not someone that has never done electrical work on a vehicle should take this on. I do not have an aux switches as I have the rubicon and those spots are taken up by the lockers and sway bar buttons. I don't really know how to hook it up to the ignition, although I know I can look it up. But I don't want to try and bite off more than I can chew. I do a lot of DIY projects and am a woodworker, but like I said, vehicle electrical work is new to me. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
how you choose to make it operate and where you choose to mount it can greatly affect the difficulty of the install. If you use a bracket that mounts it in the engine bay, it's about as straightforward as possible (just need a fused power wire from the battery and a ground). If you decide to run it in the cab somewhere, you need longer/thicker wire, and likely need to get creative with how you route the wire into the vehicle. If you add a switch to only supply power to it when you want, that's another layer of complexity.

My personal favorite design so far is the one by 813 Fabrication that mounts an ARB Dual Compressor behind the driver side rear seat, detailed install video here:

Chris262

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Auto Technician
This is a pretty nice video showing the twin compressor being installed. Only thing I would change is using weatherproof connectors instead of the generic blower motor connectors they come with.

JAVIERGONZO

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Navy
Eddy from [Banned Site] on YouTube has a STELLAR install guide and video. And several more on other popular installs.

OP
OP

jimmy986

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
sales
I think I want it in the cab. I was thinking under the passenger seat. It’s seems like a good spot to have hoses on both sides and working all four tires at once. That wiring seems pretty easy, in terms of it being a more straightforward mechanical issue. But in terms of it only getting power when I want, that seems like where I need to wire it up to the ignition, which I’m less sure about. I assume that has to happen, right? If I don’t do something like that, would it be pulling power all the time and draining the battery?
how you choose to make it operate and where you choose to mount it can greatly affect the difficulty of the install. If you use a bracket that mounts it in the engine bay, it's about as straightforward as possible (just need a fused power wire from the battery and a ground). If you decide to run it in the cab somewhere, you need longer/thicker wire, and likely need to get creative with how you route the wire into the vehicle. If you add a switch to only supply power to it when you want, that's another layer of complexity.

My personal favorite design so far is the one by 813 Fabrication that mounts an ARB Dual Compressor behind the driver side rear seat, detailed install video here:

Sponsored

Vicegrips

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
not gainfully employed. Too old, been there done that.
I mounted an ARB twin using the 813 Fab bracket behind the driver side back seat. I'm very happy with the results. I ran three 8 gauge wires fom the battery, hot lead through the 40 amp fuses, all three into wire loom, zip tied over to the existing firewall hole, and back to the compressor. Compressor is out of the elements, hidden from sight, centrally located for all tires. I have a chunk of stick on heat shielding applied to some thin, stiff shelf liner plastic I cut to fit between the compressor and the back of the seat, just to avoid any problems from hot compressor next to seat fabric. Potential issue solved. Pix in another thread i posted here.

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I ordered the Innovative AT Products 4 tire air system. It mounts under the passenger seat.

I haven't gotten around to installing it yet but it doesn't seem too complicated.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
I have been considering an arb on board twin compressor. Right now, I have a Vlair compressor that hooks up to my battery. I don't use it as often as I should because the time it takes to deflate and reinflate only makes it worth it when I really, really need to. This compressor seems to be a really good option. If there are better choices I'm all ears. But my main question is whether or not someone that has never done electrical work on a vehicle should take this on. I do not have an aux switches as I have the rubicon and those spots are taken up by the lockers and sway bar buttons. I don't really know how to hook it up to the ignition, although I know I can look it up. But I don't want to try and bite off more than I can chew. I do a lot of DIY projects and am a woodworker, but like I said, vehicle electrical work is new to me. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I did under driver side back seat.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/dankjeep-build.40105/

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I have dual ARBs mounted in our JT and JL under the front passenger seats. The install and wiring is pretty simple.

OP
OP

jimmy986

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
sales
Does it need to be wired to the ignition or can it simply be wired to the battery?

I have dual ARBs mounted in our JT and JL under the front passenger seats. The install and wiring is pretty simple.

Sponsored

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Does it need to be wired to the ignition or can it simply be wired to the battery?
i used the ARB mount kit which comes with a switch, so you wire straight to the battery. You can use it with the ignition on or off, but you should really only use it with it on.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I did an arb twin under my passenger seat with an arb bracket kit for the JL/JT. Install took a little bit of time but is totally worth it.

I have some pictures on my build thread Here

the arb bracket has a spot so you can wire your switch right there.

OP
OP

jimmy986

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
sales
Yea, I would definitely only use it with the car on. I was reading the instruction manual and it seemed to get less clear once it went to wiring in to the ignition so it will ONLY work with the ignition on. I’ve not done any wiring on a car before. I’ve done home wiring and I do a lot of DIY stuff but being new to car mods, I’m trying to keep the complexity to a minimum. I’m more than fine with the bracket install and things like that. It’s just the wiring I’m less sure of. But if the only difference is not using it when the engine is off, I can remember not to do that and simply omit wiring it to the ignition?
i used the ARB mount kit which comes with a switch, so you wire straight to the battery. You can use it with the ignition on or off, but you should really only use it with it on.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Yea, I would definitely only use it with the car on. I was reading the instruction manual and it seemed to get less clear once it went to wiring in to the ignition so it will ONLY work with the ignition on. I’ve not done any wiring on a car before. I’ve done home wiring and I do a lot of DIY stuff but being new to car mods, I’m trying to keep the complexity to a minimum. I’m more than fine with the bracket install and things like that. It’s just the wiring I’m less sure of. But if the only difference is not using it when the engine is off, I can remember not to do that and simply omit wiring it to the ignition?
I tied the ignition wire to the battery wires. The switch in the arb kit is the controlling factor.

clweed

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Here is another good video on the wiring

Sponsored