First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Okay, am I the only one who seemingly gets BETTER mileage with the windows down, or the top off, or RTT on, or the rack mounted with crap hanging off of it?
I swear anything that I do to disrupt the original aerodynamics actually improves the mpg.
I'm talking about normal highway driving 65-75 mph. Same 150 mile drive same elapsed time, etc.. I'm at 27K on the truck and have noticed this since day one, and just thought that I was nuts.
Sponsored

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
Our minivan is pretty aerodynamic and yet its highway mpg is only a little better than our JT with highway tires and stock suspension. Comparable engines. Tires, lifts, and gears really hit hard.

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Mohave, '18 Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
Okay, am I the only one who seemingly gets BETTER mileage with the windows down, or the top off, or RTT on, or the rack mounted with crap hanging off of it?
I swear anything that I do to disrupt the original aerodynamics actually improves the mpg.
I'm talking about normal highway driving 65-75 mph. Same 150 mile drive same elapsed time, etc.. I'm at 27K on the truck and have noticed this since day one, and just thought that I was nuts.
Yes.

Sponsored

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
Maybe it's like dimples on a golf ball and induces turbulence sooner or something. Higher Reynolds number blah blah blah...

Sorry that was my attempt to get an ROI on what little I remember from Fluids class..

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
I’ve noticed a pretty consistent 1/2mpg drop driving with the soft top open.

i was tempted to post a similar thread about turbulence- seems smoother airflow with the rear headrests down when the rear window is out

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I may have found a color I prefer over Gobi....

My mileage changes for no rhyme or reason. Seems like it gets better with longer trips. At this point, I just drive it.

Sponsored

JohnFinx

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1988 Cherokee , 1969 Plymouth Satellite Conv
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I get better mileage when I drive with a lead foot, and worse with the tops off. I noticed no difference windows up or down, but the rare occasion I have the windows up the A/C is on, so that may make it a wash.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Our minivan is pretty aerodynamic and yet its highway mpg is only a little better than our JT with highway tires and stock suspension. Comparable engines. Tires, lifts, and gears really hit hard.
our minivan gets twice the mpg of the JT. You romping on that mini? hahaha...

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yes.

Panels out - mpg drops.
Roof off - mpg drops.
Doors off- mpg drops.
Stuff stacked in the back and cover open - mpg drops.
Windows open - mpg drops.
Anything at all that I do drops mpg.
Took off steel bumper, put plastic bumper and reinstalled the closure panel on top of bumper, etc. - mpg picked up by an easy 1+

I'm talking observing this truck over a period of 30 months and 26,000 miles......... any change away from stock, mpg drops.
But doesn't that make total sense?

Had a 90 Camaro - T-tops off, mpg dropped. Windows open, mpg dropped.........

Oh, before I forget - deduct 10 points from Slytherin for using the term aerodynamics in a post about Jeeps.