Off-road camper options for the Gladiator

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
So I'm looking at getting an off road camper that a manual gladiator can tow. There are plenty of options until you need one that you can actually stand up in and costs less than 18k new with all the options I want. So far I've only found the Escapade Alpine (http://www.offroadtrailerinfo.com/o...wr2QjHMUwGfsID-m4Ru9-EVU1p1nak3LW3YQZlzZCqWww) and High Altitude Trailers (https://www.highaltitudetrailers.com/) has one in the making but not in production yet. I was hoping someone had some more options for me or has some good insight into the Alpine or whatever High Alt will make. Sure, I'd love to get a blank one and DYI, but I have no time for that. Plus it rains so much on the east coast now that we want the stand up interior height option since we might be spending a decent amount of time inside when camping. I should also note that I like these types of offroad campers because its easy to do repairs and simple things like bolt on a hot water heater, stick on a solar panel ,and maybe hide that whiskey still somewhere.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey thank you. Some are so cool! Especially that covered wagon. Then I priced the ones I liked out....wow I can't believe how expensive some of these are. You add a few options and the price jumps! Im not sure how they classify some as affordable? Either way. It was a good watch. Next time I'm in Idaho im going to check up on them wagons.

Scootypuff_Senior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
Here is one you can stand up in, but it is going to be a bit out of your budget:
https://tetonx.com/hybrid

The roof pops up and it feels very roomy inside for a teardrop style trailer. starts at 21k. The options can add over 8K, but you can get a decent setup for 3-4K of options

DanOnTheCob

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
You can build your own trailer for a quarter to half the cost to buy one. Several DIY guides, Even if you buy just a small trailer (instead of welding your own) you can build on top of it. Its a long project but worth it in the end. I plan on making on that will disassemble for easy storage in my garage.

Sponsored

capercrew02

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WJ, BMW i3, Red JTR.
It doesn't fit the requirement of needing to stand up in, but I have a Hiker trailer Offroad teardrop that I can tow anywheres, fits a full size queen inside, has a galley, and has a large awning with a full room that we use for changing, toilet, and everything else once we are camping. It only weighs 1900# so its awesome. The other option I would consider is maybe doing a camper shell like the AT Habbit, it would allow you. to have a light weight shell that you could remove, have room for 2 queens, or remove two panels, stand up inside the truck bed and climb up from the inside. expedition overhand did a great build with a tacoma and this shell! here's a picture of our hiker trailer with 2 of the 3 walls up, as well as a picture with the fully enclosed room option, and a pic behind our current WJ grand Cherokee. OTD the trailer was under 11K, custom ordered with our options we wanted and everything. the last option I could think of would be a pop up trailer.

IMG_3157.JPG

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_3976.JPG

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
have you checked out patriot campers

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here I'll just reply all in one. The teton is a really good option. Yeah it's out of my budget but it's really nice. Just like the patriot ones. Nice useful features I just can't afford. I could but since I'm buying a gladiator I definitely can't get both. Nice options though and I really want to actually see them in person!
The build your own is what I wanted to do and even planned it out and that's when I learned I just don't have the time and it annoys me to no end. I do think doing it yourself is really great because you put everything where you want it and when something breaks you have a better understanding of it.

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It doesn't fit the requirement of needing to stand up in, but I have a Hiker trailer Offroad teardrop that I can tow anywheres, fits a full size queen inside, has a galley, and has a large awning with a full room that we use for changing, toilet, and everything else once we are camping. It only weighs 1900# so its awesome. The other option I would consider is maybe doing a camper shell like the AT Habbit, it would allow you. to have a light weight shell that you could remove, have room for 2 queens, or remove two panels, stand up inside the truck bed and climb up from the inside. expedition overhand did a great build with a tacoma and this shell! here's a picture of our hiker trailer with 2 of the 3 walls up, as well as a picture with the fully enclosed room option, and a pic behind our current WJ grand Cherokee. OTD the trailer was under 11K, custom ordered with our options we wanted and everything. the last option I could think of would be a pop up trailer.

IMG_3157.JPG

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_3976.JPG
I really love this setup. I was actually dead set on the hiker until I was told we had to get one we could stand in. I contacted them even and asked. They said they didn't have one and wouldn't have one in a nice way. Escapade has very similar options to hiker. I wonder why so few have stand up ones? Too top heavy?
The truck bed ones are also nice. The problem is just quickly detaching them when needed and fitting them into garages. I like them though. I wonder if they are top heavy too?
Either way I like your setup and the pics are pretty cool!

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I’m a big fan of pop up truck campers. I have a Hallmark Everest on my F-350 and think it’s a great way to get off-road.

Reading your situation I would suggest the Four Wheel Camper camper in the Swift model.
You can stand up in it.
It will fit the 5 ft bed
It is not top heavy
And it starts at under $11 K !!

https://fourwheelcampers.com/model/...per-leader-mid-size-trucks/swift-shell-model/

I see that you’re on the East Coast like me and understand dealing with the weather. This type of camper is not very popular here but when people see one they are really surprised...They are very popular in the West.

Edit: I went on their site and “built” a camper with the minimum of what i’d Want and it came out under 14K and 902 pounds...

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
I’m a big fan of pop up truck campers. I have a Hallmark Everest on my F-350 and think it’s a great way to get off-road.

Reading your situation I would suggest the Four Wheel Camper camper in the Swift model.
You can stand up in it.
It will fit the 5 ft bed
It is not top heavy
And it starts at under $11 K !!

https://fourwheelcampers.com/model/...per-leader-mid-size-trucks/swift-shell-model/

I see that you’re on the East Coast like me and understand dealing with the weather. This type of camper is not very popular here but when people see one they are really surprised...They are very popular in the West.

Edit: I went on their site and “built” a camper with the minimum of what i’d Want and it came out under 14K and 902 pounds...
That's awesome!
East coast seems dominated by white box campers that are all about maximum size and amenities. There seems to be a lot less interest in exploration and boondocking here.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
That's awesome!
East coast seems dominated by white box campers that are all about maximum size and amenities. There seems to be a lot less interest in exploration and boondocking here.
I hear ya!
The unfortunate fact is that there aren’t as many places to boondocks on the East Coast as out West.
But we do have some interesting places to explore...

BA70BE8A-5B9F-4E69-90E0-D72B50986529.jpeg

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I like that. If you want more sleeping space what do you do? RTT?

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Yeah I like that. If you want more sleeping space what do you do? RTT?
Funny you should ask...
We are leaving Tuesday for a couple of weeks in Colorado and taking my 30 yo son and his wife with us. They are both 6 ft. tall and we will be towing an expedition trailer with a Roofnest RTT on it for them to sleep in. Both couples will have a queen size bed!

I have heard of many people with small kids either have them sleep on the couch and/or put an inflatable mattress in the “hallway” for the kids to sleep. Of course when they’re older they can just sleep outside in a tent. We did that with my younger sons and pitched the tent under the awning because it was raining but they stayed nice and dry...

F02D2291-C501-42E2-B9BA-9CA5F2DABD8A.jpeg

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Maybe not your style but what about finding a small camper used for cheap gut it and turn it into an offroad pull behind beast? I've redone several campers Including flood damaged ones. It's pretty easy if you know your way around simple tools and it makes for a fun project. Best of all you get to build it the way you want and you know it will be done right
Sponsored