Sponsored

Off-road travel trailer similar to Sonic X

TinyTink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow
Hey guys,

Searching for an off-road camper and a pop-up WILL NOT WORK. I live in Louisiana where temps often get up to 100 degrees so A/C and hard sides are a must. I will probably be at the beach all summer at campsites so I can use the hookups for A/C. But I want to be able to go off-road in the cooler months. I know, I know, not a lot of hard side off-roads available. But what's the point of a Jeep if I can't take my camper everywhere? I finally found the perfect one - Sonic X 211 - even has the bunks I need for the kiddos.

https://www.venture-rv.com/products/sonic-x-travel-trailers/SN211VDBX.html

It has an off-road package, filtration system so you can use lake water, toy storage, even a rack for rifles and/or fishing poles. Comes with solar, Lithium battery and low energy A/C that "reportedly" can run off the battery for 5 hours. Unheard of it you've been researching campers as long as I have. However, it has a dry weight of about 5600 lbs. and comes in at about 27 feet (probably more with all of the options I just listed.) I was hoping for something closer to 4500 lbs. dry because I have zero experience towing. Nothing, nada, zilch. My boyfriend has towed open trailers before, but I know the wind sway is a major factor with a camper so I want to keep the weight as low as possible.

I just got the Redarc brake controller in the mail today, so I will be installing that this week. Obviously, I will also have a WDH and sway bar. I won't be driving any faster than 65 mph on the interstate. I'm not opposed to taking mostly highways for the right camper - most trips will be about 100 miles away. No mountains or even really hilly areas because I'm scared of heights. Can I tow my dream camper safely with my pups and kiddos in the car?

This trailer has me feeling like Veruca Salt right now. Does anyone know of anything similar? I've looked at the Conqueror and Black Series but I'll get a Black Series when I win the lottery. The Sonic X is pretty much the most I can afford. Rockwood Geo and FR No Boundaries don't have the floorplans I need for my family.

***Unrelated, but this is my first 4x4 (also my first truck). I got to pull my boyfriend's Chevy Classic out of the mud the other day and, yes, I gloated. Loving this beast!***
Sponsored

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
I like the Conquerer. Am considering that. Also, the Opus trailer (rugged pop-up) has an A/C option that seems very reasonable. And I've seen one in person.

Other option that I like is the Borderlands XT trailer from Utah. You can put a roof top tent (that also gets A/C and heat) on top.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Interesting trailer.
I looked at the specs and was surprised to see the 400 watts of solar and the large lithium battery Bank. You don’t normally see that.
On the other hand the comment about running the AC for several hours is a little suspect... Do you happen to know the brand of the AC unit?

Finally, virtually all camper manufacturers under-weigh their trailers/campers. So I would suspect that your dry weight will be more than advertised. Then by the time you add water, food, etc, etc. you can figure on another 1000 pounds so the trailer may be more than the Gladiator is rated for...
If they have one that you are considering see if you can get it weighed before you buy it. That way you can see how comfortable you are with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

TinyTink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S with Max Tow
Interesting trailer.
I looked at the specs and was surprised to see the 400 watts of solar and the large lithium battery Bank. You don’t normally see that.
On the other hand the comment about running the AC for several hours is a little suspect... Do you happen to know the brand of the AC unit?

Finally, virtually all camper manufacturers under-weigh their trailers/campers. So I would suspect that your dry weight will be more than advertised. Then by the time you add water, food, etc, etc. you can figure on another 1000 pounds so the trailer may be more than the Gladiator is rated for...
If they have one that you are considering see if you can get it weighed before you buy it. That way you can see how comfortable you are with it.

Thanks smlobx. I actually found out why most travel trailer weights are off from what is advertised. They take the average weight of the trailers they have produced. The trailers vary due to options as well. Apparently, there is a little sticker on the door that tells the actual weight of each trailer, similar to the one found on a vehicle that tells you your payload. The specific one I looked at weighed 5483 lbs. It holds over 70 gallons of water so that would put me pretty darn close to my limit (I was assuming the standard 30-40 gallons you normally see on this size).

I asked about the brand of the A/C and the salesman said he would get back to me but didn't. I did find out that it runs for 5 hours on a cloudy day, which does me no good since I wouldn't need any A/C on a cloudy day lol. I really liked the nerf bars all around the bottom and skid plate, but I may be going in a different direction by getting a cheaper used trailer and adding the solar and lithiums that I want. Now, I just need something that will hold up to some light off-roading.

Sponsored

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
This trailer has become my latest obsession.

https://www.opuscamper.us/op15/

The Venture is nice but the only unique feature is the water filtration system and they are <$1000.
I saw an Opus in person a few weeks ago and they rock. Well worth it. We are considering that, a Conqurer, or a Backcountry XT.

Greg75

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, BMW M2 Competition, MBZ 560 SL, Ducati 851, Ducati 900 SS
I really want an Opus 4 or the 15, if I find a way to justify the extra bucks. If hard sided and not the Opus 15, I'd have to go with the Black Series C12 or get a deal on the H12, at least from what I've seen. If I could figure out a way to haul 2 motorcycles, or even one, on the Opus 4, I'd go buy that trailer tomorrow and add AC.

Squidly

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2006 LJ
i'm looking at the Opus-4 as well ... there's a few for sale here in DFW, but pricey at $29k. Saw the Black Series at a local RV show this past weekend, and although really nice, don't compare to the fit and finish of the Opus

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I cannot do one of the tent type campers for any of a few reasons. First and foremost here in the southeast I have to have an AC to sleep comfortably, especially now that I am almost 50 years old and my ever expanding girth makes the heat more and more uncomfortable. And, probably more importantly, I am married to a very girly girl wife and we are raising two very girly girl daughters who require more than an opaque shower curtain surrounding them to feel comfortable taking a shower or "other business." My son and I probably prefer the "nature experience" more than we should so the bathroom is less of a problem for us.

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I saw an Opus in person a few weeks ago and they rock. Well worth it. We are considering that, a Conqurer, or a Backcountry XT.
I was ready to buy an Opus until I got thinking about setting it up when it is raining and 33*.

I kind of lost its appeal with that thought in mind

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Damn i really wanted an opus too but the price is way too much! i liked almost everything about it but it shouldn't cost 35k with all the fixins. Not for an inflatable tent. I tried to find a deal, but just couldn't.

JT_Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon, 2016 Husqvarna FE350S
Damn i really wanted an opus too but the price is way too much! i liked almost everything about it but it shouldn't cost 35k with all the fixins. Not for an inflatable tent. I tried to find a deal, but just couldn't.
I am struggling with the pricing of some of these (I am not just referring to one manufacturer here either) trailers as well. When you can buy a darn nice 5th wheel or travel trailer for 35k (of course, not towable with our rigs)....you would think these things should cost less. It makes it very hard to justify.

Squidly

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2006 LJ
$35k ?? Holy cow, I talked with a salesman today, and for fully loaded, I can get it for $27,700 ... still a lot of coin and still have to figure if it's really worth it and will be used enough. On a good note, the wife is all for it :)
Sponsored