ADK Tiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Music Teacher
Hi.

I’m not sure if this is the correct place for this thread, but it’s related to all three Transmission, Axles, and Gears and more.

I have a Rubicon with Off Road+. I can read what it states in the manual for what happens when you use this in 4L and 4H. I’ve read and seen many videos, and experienced off road myself a few times where you want to drive with both feet to “keep from shocking and loading” to “have some resistance on the drivetrain”. This gets complicated with a manual clutch on my CJ7.

However, with the Retirus (my JTR) being a manual transmission, when I put it into 4L, there is no clutch work involved. I have to admit it’s a great feature. It crawls forward, and I give it gas only and usually don’t touch the brake until I want to stop.

This leads us, finally, to my question: when the Off Road+ button is engaged, does it give the desired resistance on the drivetrain without putting my foot on the brake? When I’ve used the Off Road+, the engine feels like it works harder to move the wheels forward or backward, as compared to 4L without the Off Road+ engaged. Is this my imagination?

Or, is the tech, as described in the manual: "Engine/Transmission Calibration: Rock Crawl and controllability focus, change in shifting schedule when rock crawling, pedal calibration shifted to de-gain and low range, operates at lower vehicle speeds" - is this calibration putting the desired resistance into the drivetrain? Change in shifting schedule, I’m assuming, refers to automatic transmissions. Pedal calibration shifted to de-gain - I’m not sure exactly what that means - perhaps the answer to my question? Or is it even a more subtle thing that is happening?

I’ve also read somewhere that driving with Off Road+ saves stress on the Gladiator’s parts (but can’t I remember where - it didn’t come up in a search here where I do most of my reading). I guess I’m looking for clarification on what exactly the Off Road+ button does, and whether or not it is enough, or further brake pressure is desired - especially keeping in mind that I have a MT.
Sponsored

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
The pedal de-gain means they use a lesser throttle position (less fuel) for the same pedal position in Off-road+ than would be used in normal driving. Being a drive by wire system, this is easily done. This is much batter than the old days of trying to feather a pedal within a small portion of its full range to get the slight adjustment you need.