• Total voters

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Interested to see how this one turns out . . .
Sponsored

NaughtyGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Off the lot models tend to be missing features you want or are overburdened with ones you don't want. I will say the last batch of Sport S units that have come in around here seem to be optioned appropriately for the market but what they were getting seemed way off base in my opinion. All options except max tow and aux switches and combinations thereof.

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
There were no manuals out at the time of purchase so had to order

GreenZJ

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR....Jeep #10
The truck was too expensive for me to be paying for options I don’t want or settling on a truck without options I wanted. Custom ordered to get exactly what I want and nothing else

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
I have still yet to see a Rubicon in dealer inventory with cloth seats. Just don't want leather.

Sponsored

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
I ordered what wanted. Paying this much I saw no reason to settle for someone else’s idea of what I needed. It was worth the 5 week wait.

jsyn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
My local dealer couldn't understand it -- he kept saying that once he made up his mind about some big purchase, he needed it right away and could never force himself to wait for 5 more weeks just to customize it. I attempted to explain that as a grown-ass adult who was spending $50k+, I intended to get exactly what I wanted, no more and no less, and that as a grown up he should have learned some amount of patience by now

OP
OP

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My local dealer couldn't understand it -- he kept saying that once he made up his mind about some big purchase, he needed it right away and could never force himself to wait for 5 more weeks just to customize it. I attempted to explain that as a grown-ass adult who was spending $50k+, I intended to get exactly what I wanted, no more and no less, and that as a grown up he should have learned some amount of patience by now
Most all dealers will try to get you to buy from stock. They'll say any darn thing toward that end, in my experience.

OP
OP

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have still yet to see a Rubicon in dealer inventory with cloth seats. Just don't want leather.
too strange . . . I've seen several. even seeing stick shifts now.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
too strange . . . I've seen several. even seeing stick shifts now.
To be fair, I haven't made much effort to search but my local dealer has not had any and the search tool on the Jeep site doesn't show any around me but I haven't paid a lot of attention because I knew I was ordering.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Order and get what you want unless you can find a in stock one that checks all your boxes and does not add anything you do not want. Anything else is settling. Good dealership and sales staff will work with a custom order. If they do not, run from them and find one that will work with you.

Forum is littered with plenty examples of dealers that will custom order and do fair under invoice pricing. Like already mentioned, they are expensive enough as it is and you might as well get what you want. Just have patience and treat getting one like a job and not get wrapped up in the dealership sales speak baloney of having to buy from in stock.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer understood that they didn't have exactly what I wanted when I went in with my list of criteria. He knew. They did in the end do a search for something close but the colors wanted are rare on the lots in the central states, apparently. They didn't even TRY to talk me into something on the lot. In fact it was almost like "we don't have what you want but can get one". There was no pressure on anything at all in any direction. But then the body color fenders, body color hard top - not going to be sitting in any lot anywhere. I was great, fine, with the black, my wife was not. Dunno why, I think the black looks great especially with the blue or orange but even other colors. Hey, my SX4 has black fender flares and black trim all over but that didn't matter to her.
Like she said -this was the first time ever we left a dealership without a vehicle - or the promise it would be ready the next morning. We drive away with what we buy. One night we took her 87 Camaro out for a front end alignment and came home with......... a 90 Camaro.

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
My Gladiator is not the first vehicle I've custom ordered and likely won't be the last. I've always been picky about options. I know what I want and don't want to pay for what I don't want. It doesn't bother me in the least to wait a month or two to get it. I've always enjoyed the custom cars more than something I got used or off the lot. Of course my preferences tend to differ from the mainstream so that doesn't make it easy to happen upon the right combination. I've driven manuals for nearly 2 decades, for instance, and I couldn't care less about premium audio systems (seems to be a popular option).

I even custom ordered my Honda Fit back in the day. There were a grand total of 3 available choices on that thing, but I waited 5-6 weeks to get a blue one with the manual transmission and the "Sport" package. I've also ordered two MINIs over the years. Very customizable car and actively encourages you to custom order one to make it your own. Yet the sales person for my last one kept trying to push me into one they had in stock. She couldn't understand why I would be willing to wait 2 months when they probably had 75 of them sitting on their lot. Only a few had manual transmissions and every single one (even the autos) had an expensive package that included premium audio and a panaoramic sunroof. Nice options to be sure, but I wasn't willing to pay for them (plus I wanted the extra 1" of headroom you get sans sunroof in those).

The waiting can suck at times, but there's nothing like taking delivery of a factory fresh vehicle custom ordered to your needs :)

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I got lucky in that the closest dealer to me had a Rubicon on the lot with almost the exact options I was after. I was planning on waiting until January or February to custom order but on a whim I emailed them to see if they would negotiate on price and I was pleasantly surprised. I got a good deal and drove her home. I could have ordered one and I might have chosen a different color but in the end I am thrilled and have no regrets.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer understood that they didn't have exactly what I wanted when I went in with my list of criteria. He knew. They did in the end do a search for something close but the colors wanted are rare on the lots in the central states, apparently. They didn't even TRY to talk me into something on the lot. In fact it was almost like "we don't have what you want but can get one". There was no pressure on anything at all in any direction. But then the body color fenders, body color hard top - not going to be sitting in any lot anywhere. I was great, fine, with the black, my wife was not. Dunno why, I think the black looks great especially with the blue or orange but even other colors. Hey, my SX4 has black fender flares and black trim all over but that didn't matter to her.
Like she said -this was the first time ever we left a dealership without a vehicle - or the promise it would be ready the next morning. We drive away with what we buy. One night we took her 87 Camaro out for a front end alignment and came home with......... a 90 Camaro.
When I went to my dealer to look at one, they didn't have one because they had sold their last one 3 hours after unloading, so he immediately was wanting me to order one, but I told him I wasn't ordering one until I test drove one since I was not a Jeep person and not familiar with them. They called me a couple of days later with one they got in for another customer but the customer would allow me to test drive it. I got back from test drive and ordered.
Sponsored