Off topic: Great video for anyone looking to buy a classic \ restored car

BlueCT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
I came across this video online. I know a lot many of the people on this forum probably have classic cars or are just interested in cars. This is one of the better videos I have seen explaining what to look for when evaluating the condition of a car. It gets into pretty good detail on the front suspension and everything you can see with a car on a lift. I believe the car is a 1964 or 65 Lincoln convertible. If anyone is into old Lincoln’s this guy, Nathan Wilson of driving dreams restorations, has a great YouTube channel full of Lincoln videos. It is a little off topic but its worth a look.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The trick is that there are things specific to each make, model and year(s).
I've made some money doing evaluations for people - and although there are certain things to always look for - you need to know THAT car's make and model to know some of the key places to look.
My concern isn't about steering and suspension - which are cheaply and easily repaired. Those are things that your local Midas would look at.
Do watch for BADLY done repairs. Do a leak-down or compression check, check oil, transmission fluid, look in the cooling system, etc.
Check the floors, floor pans, floor sills, check where the panels are spot welded together where sand, dirt and dust collect and cause rust where the panels join, for vehicles with a hydraulic clutch, check the firewall for rot from leaking fluid.
Brake lines rot USUALLY from the inside-out. Check for leaking wheel cylinders, calipers, check the fluid in the master cylinder - did they do brake fluid flushes?
We've got pages and pages of such info on the forum I admin.

OP
OP

BlueCT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
You are clearly a lot more experienced than lol. I could see why this might not be that interesting to you. I thought the video was useful for someone like me that has been around cars a bunch but not experienced like you. I have done a lot of engine tuning and performance stuff for drag racing but not a lot of suspension stuff so seeing all the different bushings that should be changed etc was interesting to me. I saw that your post about rebuilding starters and alternators. You would probably enjoy some of the other videos on that guys channel he shows a bunch of different things being rebuilt like old seat motors. The guys is very meticulous about restorations. He has a video where he is taking a door apart to rebuild the window mechanics. I have not been exposed to that type of detail before. It’s interesting to me at least.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You are clearly a lot more experienced than lol. I could see why this might not be that interesting to you. I thought the video was useful for someone like me that has been around cars a bunch but not experienced like you. I have done a lot of engine tuning and performance stuff for drag racing but not a lot of suspension stuff so seeing all the different bushings that should be changed etc was interesting to me. I saw that your post about rebuilding starters and alternators. You would probably enjoy some of the other videos on that guys channel he shows a bunch of different things being rebuilt like old seat motors. The guys is very meticulous about restorations. He has a video where he is taking a door apart to rebuild the window mechanics. I have not been exposed to that type of detail before. It’s interesting to me at least.
It's going to be useful for folks, some to varying degrees. Not everyone was born working on these things LOL.
I love that sort of work. I like it so much that I find myself having to be involved in some way. I can't get away from it, I don't want to.
I converted my SX4 to power windows and power locks, the other SX4 I'm working on for a customer was originally power - some dope took the power window regulators and motors out and put in manual - I am converting it back again. I've parted out a couple of cars and have salvaged and restored the window regulators, have them wrapped and occasionally sell one or two to people that have these cars with window problems. (certain GM electric seat cables can be converted for use with Eagle and Jeep electric front windows!)

Now just because I do all of these restorations doesn't mean I don't like to see what others are doing, and how they do it. Sometimes I find someone has a trick up their sleeve that makes my work easier! Last blower motor I restored was a pain in the rump because the brush assembly was riveted to the output motor end shell - but the field assembly was in the other end shell - so you had to work the armature in there somehow with the brushes held back out of the way, and work the wires in so they didn't get pinched - what a process. WOW.
Got it done, shipped it out today - but if I ever find someone doing those 70 AMX non-AC blower motors like that, I want to see how THEY do it!
There's always something to learn - the day one doesn't learn at least one thing, might be time for that pine box.
Sponsored